View Full Version : newbie: poly merge fails

Zeicon
10-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Check these images:
http://www.casperchristophersen.com/polymerge.jpg

I select the first polygon (pic1)
I select the second polygon (pic2)
I hit shift+z for merge (pic3)

As you can see in the last picture, they do not merge correctly. Instead of one continuous polygon, I get a splitted one... how do I prevent this from happening? I have made sure that there are no "double-points" on the polygons...

joo
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry i'm not really understand your question, why not try to use 'weld points'

Zeicon
10-13-2004, 02:58 PM
The polygons are already welded together using weld points... but that doesn't give me _one continuous_ polygon... I just want to know why merging isn't working correctly.

JMarc
10-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Select both polys and hit Shift-Z.

EDIT> Oops!! puts on reading glasses. ;)

Zeicon
10-13-2004, 03:20 PM
JMARC... obviously you haven't read my first post ;) Please do so... hehe

JMarc
10-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Heh-heh. Oops. Sorry 'bout that. I did a translation in my head when I read Merge I interpreted it as Merge points not the poly merge.

Anyhoo, I think I have your prob sorted. It's a bit hard to see what is going on in your pics but it looks like the merge has worked out properly. Does Modeler report one poly selected? If so then the polys are now one, however, merging polys does not remove any points so the perimeter/contour will not change. If you were attempting to simplify your geometry, just delete the offending points (the welded ones) after the poly merge and you will be left with the combined profile of the unjoined points from the original polys.

I hope this is more helpful.

Zeicon
10-13-2004, 03:53 PM
I think you're still misinterpreting my problem. If you look closely at "picture 3"... do you notice that towards the right side of the frame, the polygon sorta breaks into two? This happens after I use merge poly... yes, it is now one polygon, but it is not continuous... it's shredded... and when I try to use this shredded spline in combination with 3 other splines to produce a patch, I get some really weird geometry... it is miscalculating the patching completely. And I am quite sure it happens because of this "failed" polygon merge... why is the polygon in "picture 3" torn apart? I don't get it...

JMarc
10-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Splines! Ok that's why I thought the pic was hard to figure out. I thought they were pics of the edges of regular polys. You never said anything about splines. :)

It looks like the spline is looping back on itself. Modeler might be having an issue with point order. Is the problematic spline really complex? If not you might want to just kill it and select its points in order to make a new one.

I think you're still misinterpreting my problem. If you look closely at "picture 3"... do you notice that towards the right side of the frame, the polygon sorta breaks into two? This happens after I use merge poly... yes, it is now one polygon, but it is not continuous... it's shredded... and when I try to use this shredded spline in combination with 3 other splines to produce a patch, I get some really weird geometry... it is miscalculating the patching completely. And I am quite sure it happens because of this "failed" polygon merge... why is the polygon in "picture 3" torn apart? I don't get it...

Zeicon
10-13-2004, 04:17 PM
oh I didn't? My bad... ;) Well yea, it think your right... I will just delete it and start over... thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.