PDA

View Full Version : socket 939 (athlon 64) how long to last?

jcbray
10-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Hey all, I'm planning on buying a new computer soon, and most likely going for an athlon64, i'd like to have some upgradeability for it, and the socket 754 seems to be done with. Socket 939 comes in the athlon64 and athlon64 FX processors - does anyone know if they will stick with this same socket for a while - the 940 didn't seem to stay long on those processors...

I'm not that computer literate, but hopefully some people here understand what I'm trying to say. I just want my motherboard not to be made redunant after a month becase the new processors won't work with it.

Thx all :)

wurp
10-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Just buy whatever offers the best price/performance combo for you. Personally I think its rather pointless to upgrade for example just the CPU and not the motherboard/gfx card etc along with it. I would go for a mobo/cpu with the 939 socket, and when it becomes too old, simply get a new mobo and cpu and dont worry about buying "future proof" hardware because there is no such thing.

lots
10-13-2004, 01:47 PM
But just to clearify. Socket 939 is going to be around for a while... At least for another year. Or at least that is the way it seems right now.

Thalaxis
10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Socket 940 didn't go anywhere, it was just a holdover in the high-end gamer market. It was always intended to focus 940 on the server/workstation market, and use Socket 939 in the desktop market long term. A current Socket 939 motherboard will allow you to move up to a dual-core Athlon64 at some point also, making it a good investment now. I'd get one of the PCIe models, but that's the only caveat I'd attach to Socket 939.

alseides
10-13-2004, 07:40 PM
er... I doesn't really matter. If it is cheap and fast then buy it. When it becomes too outdated just buy a new mobo/cpu, like someone already mentioned. If you want to be future proof buy a 60Ghz w/1TB Ram and you might have a chance. I'm getting a 756 and i think that will last me quite a long time. I will only upgrade when I feel what I pay for is worth that little performance boost.

lots
10-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Personally im waiting for a bigger difference in performance from my current rig and what i am going to buy...

Which is why i can wait for PCIe and all the goodies :P But yeah, once the system is bought, stick with it for as long as you can. Who cares if something new comes out, if what you bought is better faster and makes things more productive for you than your old system, you didnt lose out. And of cource the longer you wait the "better" things will be in comparison to your old system. You just need to decided when the speed gained is advantagous against the money lost in purchase...

jcbray
10-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Hahaha, speed gained vs. price? My current computer is an AMD 900, with 512 SDRAm and a GeFroce 2 ;) Wouldn't take much for a better computer :P

To those who said to bugger bothering trying to upgrade the cpu alone..well your partly right, but i was never intending to futureproof the computer, i'm not naive, but if the socket 939 went like the socket 940 did for desktop computers, there is no possible way it would be worth just upgrading the cpu, which you people seem to think anyways *shrugs* from my habits i'll stay with the computer as long as I can use it without hindrance..which i didn't use this time, but hey.

But anyways, thanks for all the replies - just to clairfy, socket 754 is done with right?

alseides
10-14-2004, 04:42 AM
Not quite, but at this rate it won't last much longer. Hey, that means they'll get cheaper! Yes!

Thalaxis
10-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Yes, Socket 754 is going to be either end-of-lifed or relegated to budget systems.

Either way, it will be much cheaper ;)

AMD plans to make dual-cores mainstream after they get their 65nm fab online and into volume production. I would expect that they will probably keep a single-core variant around for a while to serve as the "budget" part, but I think a current PCIe-equipped Socket 939 board will last you at last until DDR2 reaches 667 MHz in volume, which will most likely take at least another year, and that's assuming that you are the type that likes to do incremental upgrades. If not, it will last you even longer, since you won't be upgrading until you are ready to get a whole new system.

Lord Banshee
10-14-2004, 06:16 PM
I got a 754 a64 2800+ and it is plenty fast. But i have overclocked it + 500MHz and it is stable as a rock. I think it is a great chip and mobo for the price and i will not upgrade untill dual-cores are availible to the masses and they work like a dual cpu machine...

But now that the 939 has the A64 3000+ i would have goten that. So i think it comes damn to how much money you want to spend.

1) 939 socket, N-Force4 w/ pci-e
2) 939 socket, N-force3-250 w/agp
3) 754 socket, N-force3-250 w/agp

Where 1 is the most expensive and 3 is the lease expensive.

alseides
10-14-2004, 07:28 PM
yea, i was planning on getting a 754 a64 3000+, but then when i saw ur post banshee i realized that there is the same chip in the 939pin. I checked the amd site and i see that the 939 is 1.8ghz and the 754 is 2.0ghz. Can you explain how that compares?

kex
10-14-2004, 08:11 PM
did you check , core efficency , fsb speed , cache size ?

alseides
10-15-2004, 03:40 PM
I don't see how the fsb matters that much becuase the final output is still 1.8ghz which is less than 2ghz. (but it is 200mhz x9 multiplier) As for chache size it is the same (512k). Dunno about core efficiency.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.