PDA

View Full Version : Athlon64 vs P4

jchoi
10-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Hey guys,
I'm looking to purchase a new computer to replace my old Athlon Tbird 1.4ghz.
I'm stuck between Athlon64 3200+ and P4 3.2ghz prescott. Which will be a better choice for
mostly 3D apps?? I don't play games at all (well I might play some games later on though) and my new computer will be strictly for 3D apps.
I know that A64 won't give me any benefits for using 64bits instead of 32bits but I just wonder if any of you have an idea when I should expect 64bit OS to come out.
Thanks in advance!

CoolDuck
10-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Check this out, a review.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038&p=9

Is price also a factor for u?

jchoi
10-14-2004, 04:06 AM
Yes, price is a factor for me.
I'm leaning towards P4 3.2ghz Northwood core right now, since it seems to be a faster processor than the prescott when it comes down to 3D Apps and rendering.
Which mobo has a good performance/price?? And since I won't have crazy speaker setup, I should be fine with onboard sound?
My questions are..

1. CPU - Northwood/Prescott or A64? (3.2ghz or 3200+ )
2. Mobo - which specific model has a good performance/price ratio? preferably with a good/decent onboard sound
3. Video card - Wildcat III 6110 or Quadro 900xgl (I'll be running Maya, XSI, Digital Fusion and some LW) And I'm going with dual 17" LCDs
4. HDD - if you people favor any brand specifically although I think I should be ok with any 7200rpm with 8mb
5. DVD Writer - Which brand? (is Benq good at all? I may go with LG)
6. Is there a noticeable difference between DDR and DDR2?

Thanks!!

lots
10-14-2004, 06:03 AM
Well at least for the DDR vs DDR2 thing.. Right now there's basically no performance benifit. In fact DDR2 when compared with DDR isnt any faster at all, if compared at the same MHz. The strength in DDR2 is that eventually it will reach much higher clock speeds than DDR could ever have done. Which will make a difference in the long run, but short term, you wont see much of one. Plus DDR2 has slower latency than DDR, so it might even be a hinderance at the moment. But this shouldnt really be an issue since you're going with a Northwood P4, which comes in socket 478. I dont think there are any socket 478 mobos that take DDR2, though there could be, I dont know for sure.

HD: I perfer Western digital or Seagate... but thats my preference..

Video card: At least in reference to lightwave, LW doesnt take advantage of some of the extra open gl functionality of a pro level card, and often you can get by with the normal consumer end card with practically no performance drop in the viewport.. Though, the other software you use would probably benifit more than LW would.

I've assembled a few systems with the MSI board based on the 865, and they've all been pretty nice. Though I dont really have experience with others so I cant really comment on that.

DVD+-RW: I'd look at Lite-on too, there are plenty of DVD RWs out there and they're getting pretty cheap (about 60 at most for the non dual layer kind)

CPU: Both are good chips.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.