PDA

View Full Version : Dmaps from multiMat surfaces

rotaryman
10-13-2004, 08:31 AM
I have a model I created in another package. Instead of just having one shader for the entire surface of the model, I have groups of polygons that have their own material assigned to them. UV's have been laid out for each material group and all of the UV shells/Islands share the same UV space. My question is I bring this model into Zbrush to add detail for a displacement map, but when I create the displacement map, it takes all the maps it creates and flattens it to one image. Is there a way to set Zbrush to create a seperate Displacement map for each material group that was created in another program?

_vine_
10-15-2004, 01:04 AM
I think your problem is because Zbrush needs each piece of UV's that will have a separate map to be in different UV space. For example, if you have a head and body with two separate maps, I would make the head in 0,1 space and the body in 0,-1 (or whereever works well for you outside of 0,1).

Otherwise, Zbrush will just make anything sharing UV space into the same map.

Also, you'll want to use the Multi-Displacement plugin built into Zbrush to export multiple displacement maps. Multiple normal maps are exported by polygrouping according to UV's and then hiding the separate groups and exporting normal maps individually.

I hope this helps.

rotaryman
10-15-2004, 05:10 PM
yeah that kinda helps, however if I have a surface that has more than just 4 sets of uv's, then I may be in trouble. The model I am working on has 19 individual materials on the body mesh alone all, with an exception of 3 all of which need to be 2k textures. However my colleague may have found a solution, we just haven't tested it out yet. If it works then I may be in business.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.