PDA

View Full Version : Cherry OS lets PCs emulate Macs (OS X)

dotTom
10-13-2004, 03:39 AM
Make of this what you will.
http://www.cherryos.com/

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/12/cherryos/index.php

"Microsoft Corp.'s Virtual PC software has been lauded by critics as a convenient way for Mac users to run Windows applications on their Macs, but what if you need to do the opposite? Maui, Hawaii-based MXS announced Tuesday the release of Cherry OS, an emulator that does the exact opposite -- its developer says Cherry OS lets PCs run Mac OS X instead.
The virtual machine emulated by Cherry OS sports full network capabilities and has complete access to the host computer's hardware resources -- hard drive, CPU, RAM, FireWire, USB, PCI, PCMCIA bus, Ethernet networking and modem. It purportedly runs at about 80 percent of the performance of the host CPU, according to the developer."

RelaxoRy
10-13-2004, 03:48 AM
Make of this what you will.
" It purportedly runs at about 80 percent of the performance of the host CPU, according to the developer."
[/indent]

...So about the speed of a normal mac then :-)

vrf
10-14-2004, 04:34 AM
Are there even enough Mac-only apps out there to make this worthwhile?

jscott
10-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Are there even enough Mac-only apps out there to make this worthwhile? It's not about that. Its about letting PC hardware users experience OSX without needing to purchase an whole other computer. This could be really convient for developers.

-jscott

RelaxoRy
10-14-2004, 07:38 AM
It's not about that. Its about letting PC hardware users experience OSX without needing to purchase an whole other computer. This could be really convient for developers.

-jscott

heh!

i think it'd be aimed more at people who perhaps need to run dual systems perhaps for checking if web pages run on certain browsers for example, without having to buy a mac.

Or perhaps you have someone with a PC because its cheaper, running it with educational versions of software on the mac because thats what a student is taught on at uni or something.

stephen2002
10-14-2004, 11:56 AM
The concept is pretty neat, personally I've been waiting for something like this to pop up.

My question is what kind of graphics support are they going to be doing? If it is full emulated, or no 3D acceleration support as is typical of emulators, then it will basically be worthless. If they manage to pass most OpenGL functions off to the graphics card, then it will be good, I might get one just to play with OSX.

elvis
10-14-2004, 12:39 PM
There's plenty of doubt at the moment as to whether this is even real or not. So far the only person to supposedly get their hands on a copy wasn't able to install their "upgrade only copy of MacOSX" (which doesn't exist) on it.

MacCNN forum goers have given it a blasting:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=231611#post2233435

I'll save my comments when the real product is available. If it is, then I wonder how Apple's lawyers are going to treat it, considering the strict EULA in existence which require MacOSX to only be installed on Apple hardware. So far the open source projects (PearPC and MacOnLinux) have gotten away with it simply because they aren't a serious threat. Something that claims figures 80%, and is also commercial is definitely going to be a large blip on Apple's radar.

...So about the speed of a normal mac then :-)
That sort of comment was bound to appear in a thread like this. It's a shame the world is so full of people who don't have a clue about the things they speak of.

log0n
10-15-2004, 06:50 PM
There's plenty of doubt at the moment as to whether this is even real or not. So far the only person to supposedly get their hands on a copy wasn't able to install their "upgrade only copy of MacOSX" (which doesn't exist) on it.

Upgrade only copies of OSX do exist. My Powerbook 17 shipped with 10.2 (Jaguar) installed and had a Jaguar restore DVD. The included version of 10.3 (Panther) was only an upgrade version to install on top of 10.2. That's realy the only way to get an upgrade version though - you buy a Mac in between major releases and it included both.

brzilian
10-15-2004, 07:41 PM

MacCNN forum goers have given it a blasting:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=231611#post2233435

I'll save my comments when the real product is available. If it is, then I wonder how Apple's lawyers are going to treat it, considering the strict EULA in existence which require MacOSX to only be installed on Apple hardware. So far the open source projects (PearPC and MacOnLinux) have gotten away with it simply because they aren't a serious threat. Something that claims figures 80%, and is also commercial is definitely going to be a large blip on Apple's radar.

That sort of comment was bound to appear in a thread like this. It's a shame the world is so full of people who don't have a clue about the things they speak of.
It's a shame people blindly believe Apple's benchmarks also.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.