PDA

View Full Version : quick hyperthreading question

thethule
10-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I just installed Win XP Pro on my dual Xeon system. I want hyperthreading turned on right? Are there any drawbacks to switching it on? I only ask cuz it wasnt on as standard, so im just wondering. Thanks.

Regards,

Marc

lots
10-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Generally no. Though in some instances hyperthreading DOES cause some overhead, and thus slower performance in some areas... but you do see a benifit for the most part...

It wont hurt to switch it on in bios and then see how you like the performance.. if you dont like it just switch it off again..

dotTom
10-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Windows XP was the first version of Windows to support HyperThreading correctly at the kernel level. I believe Intel actually recommends that if you're running a downstream platform like Windows 2000 [Server] that you turn it off.

The only hassles I've ever had with HyperThreading has been with poorly written software that licences "per CPU" and detected HyperThreading on my dual-proc workstations and thought I had 4 CPUs (if only).

thethule
10-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Great! Thanks for the replies guys, i havnt had any problems so far, so on it stays.

Regards,

Marc

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.