PDA

View Full Version : lightwave and high polycount scenes/objects (MOD:Cool discussion on High Poly work)

omega-0nd
10-12-2004, 09:38 PM
hi wavers...

want to ask this...are u able to manage scenes/objects with high polies in lw? when i read of people (using other software) manage 100K/200K/500K/1M polygons scenes, i say: but why when i try to do something in lw that goes over 40K polies and some jpg textures everything seems to fall down?

should it be a hw problem? i run it on a P4 2.8, 1gb ddr 400 a rad 9600pro...

Lewis3D
10-12-2004, 10:44 PM
I rendered scenes about 1-2 million polygons daily at 2,53Ghz 1GB RAM machine with 3Dlabs Wildcat VP760 and biggest scene i rendered on that same machine was object who had 5,7 million polygons and few more polys for scene and area lights. It was using very big amount of VMem but eventualy it rendered 5100*3500 pixels render :). Now i work on 2GB machine and i everday work wiht models of 700K-1Mil polys in modeler and i render them pretty easy without any Vmem usage.

So i don't see reason why you can't do same in LW :).

uncon
10-13-2004, 12:24 AM
what kind of scenes are you rendering with that many polygons, sounds interesting. Is it all those cars?

Lewis3D
10-13-2004, 01:39 AM
Hi uncon !

No it's not all cars :).

Recently i rendered 1,4 mil polys architecture scene (22 images in 1600*1200) with 114 Images/textures+100 alpha maps for them. All went fine. But that 5,7+ mill polys scene was actually ONE CAR object :). I got CAS data NURBS car transfered in millions of triangles from one "xx" company and i had to optimize and put together in one piece it's initial 9,1 million polys (in parts) and render high realistic 5100*3500 shot. Car had all tiny parts liek screws, holes, buttons, bulbs and rest of it. So i removed all unvisible parts (imagine all buttons on iterior or inside of doors...) and remodeled some parts to get less dense polycount and ended up with 5,7 milions wiht interior or 4,3 withuout interior :).

xiao_x
10-13-2004, 03:48 AM
Lewis,izzit wildcat will help in rendering???or that only for openGL????wildcat really expensive like a hell compare with quardrofx.i hear many people say that graphic card didin`t help in rendering........ :argh:

Lewis3D
10-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Lewis,izzit wildcat will help in rendering???or that only for openGL????wildcat really expensive like a hell compare with quardrofx.i hear many people say that graphic card didin`t help in rendering........ :argh:
Hi There !

NO wildcat or any other GFX card in LW will not sppedup your rendering. LW renders only with CPU. Wildcat VP series is low end version adn it's not expensive. It's in price reange like Quadro Fx500 - 1100 or that. Wildcat 4 is expensive as hell but thats Full size GFX card with many many chips and 256-512 MB.

xiao_x
10-14-2004, 03:10 AM
lewis,if render the large scene,izzit dual processor faster than two pc???have influnce with
renderfarm???i see the network rendering is like that,let say have 100 farme and 5 pc,the network rendering will separate render 20 frame per pc....right????then how about some people say that 5 pc render frame by frame(mean 5 pc render 1 frame)???The rendering time will diffrence or same with the same pc?????? :shrug:

Lewis3D
10-14-2004, 12:05 PM
lewis,if render the large scene,izzit dual processor faster than two pc???have influnce with
renderfarm???i see the network rendering is like that,let say have 100 farme and 5 pc,the network rendering will separate render 20 frame per pc....right????then how about some people say that 5 pc render frame by frame(mean 5 pc render 1 frame)???The rendering time will diffrence or same with the same pc?????? :shrug:
Yes Dual CPUs will render faster than single. LW supports Multithreading so you just need to turn on more Threads in render properties (1, 2, 4 ,8 are options and that's CPU number). Also render farm will definately render faster than singel machine. You can do it torught LWs native ScreamerNet or some of numerous network render softwares.

cheers

Jure
10-14-2004, 04:51 PM
I work with architectural scenes with 2M polys and several hundred objects with no problem on my 2.6Ghz P4, 1Gb RAM, GF4 FX5900. I use wireframe view mode not textured though. :)
Note that there are some limits set in LW config file which prevent too many objects being added. MaxObjects 2000, MaxLights 1000 and MaxCameras 100 are defaults but you can alter them as you wish of course. :)

JoshD
10-14-2004, 08:56 PM
I have rendered scenes of over 2 million polys multiple times with no issues. The hardware was actually middle-grade at best, with a GeForceMX200 as my video. Nothing special, but it rendered and was stable.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.