PDA

View Full Version : intuous3 opinions?

Crocodilian
10-12-2004, 05:51 PM
anyone used the intuous3 tablet with Painter yet? Opinions?

ryders
10-14-2004, 06:09 AM
I got the bundle today...

What I have been hoping to find is a way of getting really close to paper and pencils / pens / paint. This is pretty damn close.

The left button array is set up for
move page move selected

- switch to brush

rotate page

and the slide is set up for the brush size

The Right hand array is set up for zooming / switching 1st and 2nd color etc... but the right hand buttons are out of the way... I want to paint with my right hand and just have my left hand handle other operations seemlessly. SO the intuos could have used a few more buttons on the side... but with that said. It is so SWEET using this thing with painter. The only thing better would be the cintaq with function buttons like this but more of them.

I just wish that I could assign key commands to my most frequently used brushes in my custom palettes... So that I could flip from pencil to blender to gouache with a couple of clicks.

ryders

ryders
10-14-2004, 06:25 AM
Using the felt like nib is very cool as well.

brenly
10-14-2004, 11:39 AM
I went to my local store today to play with the intuos3. I have to say I was really let down. I hope that they had it set up wrong. I found the zoom slider on the left difficult to use, it was really unresponsive. I was using painter classic. Does anyone know if classic has a gradual zoom in and out like painter. With the I3 I was zooming in and out at large increments, very slowly.

Jinbrown
10-14-2004, 01:21 PM
I went to my local store today to play with the intuos3. I have to say I was really let down. I hope that they had it set up wrong. I found the zoom slider on the left difficult to use, it was really unresponsive. I was using painter classic. Does anyone know if classic has a gradual zoom in and out like painter. With the I3 I was zooming in and out at large increments, very slowly.
The only full versions that have continuous zoom, a (zoom) Scale slider, and a box to type the zoom percent are Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX. Painter 8 and Painter IX also have, on the Property Bar when the Magnifier tool is selected, three buttons that affect how the image is displayed: Actual Pixels (100% zoom), Fit on Screen, and Center Image.

Metacreations Painter Classic 1, based on the full version Painter 5:

does not have continuous zoom

does not have a (zoom) Scale slider

does not have a box to type the zoom percent

clicking with the Magnifier tool zooms to preset increments that can't be changed by the user, ranging from 8.3% up to 1,200%

has a maximum zoom percent of 1,200%

allows us to double-click the Magnifier tool icon to return the image to 100% zoom

procreate Painter Classic 2, based on the full version Painter 7:

has continuous zoom (click and hold to zoom in; hold down the Alt/Option key, then click and hold to zoom out)

has a (zoom) Scale slider

has a box to type the zoom percent

has a maximum zoom percent of 10,000%

provides preset zoom increments on a pop-up list on the Controls:Magnifier palette ranging from 4.2% up to 2,400%

allows us to double-click the Magnifier tool icon to return the image to 100% zoom

ryders
10-14-2004, 04:26 PM
with the slider bar, it's almost instant from 0 to 3200% and back working with an 8.25 x 20.25 300dpi file.

brenly
10-15-2004, 07:35 AM
that almost sounds too fast .. are you saying 0 to 3200% in one stroke. So its really responsive, can you zoom in and out without taking your finger off the slider pad? Im going back to the store tonight to check it our again. Hopefully with a better outcome.

bulboustoe
10-15-2004, 09:53 PM
I just bought the A5 size model today. Fist impressions are really good. I like the way all the buttons can be customized for CTRL, ALT combinations etc. The zoom function works very well in Photoshop. First tablet I've used so can't compare with other models. I used to use an old humungous sized Wacom from about 5 years back, this thing feels so much lighter and easier on the wrist. Also, you can change the setting according to which application you're using, which is useful.

Still trying to get the feel of it, but after a few minutes it seems quite natural, the cursor tracks the pen about a quarter inch off the surface and seems very precise. Almost feels like sketching on paper, so I'm satisfied. Only thing I would say is it's a bit expensive, but it's designed for professionals and this thing will pay for itself pretty quickly.

bulboustoe
10-15-2004, 11:02 PM
with the slider bar, it's almost instant from 0 to 3200% and back working with an 8.25 x 20.25 300dpi file.
Must be the sensitivity setting. There are 5 settings. The default seems fine for me. I can't comment on Painter Classic, but Painter Essentials (which I think is a cut down version of the aforementioned) comes in the box. I've never used it before (seems nice) but the slider bar zooms to about 400% with this set-up. Just release your finger and reapply to continue zooming. There are so many many bits to twiddle it's going to take a while to set it just right!

Phyrea
10-20-2004, 11:07 PM
I've been a long-time Wacom user. I recently got the Intuos 3 (came from an Intuos 1) and am very impressed with the increased resolution. The new design just rocks! I didn't think they could make an improvement to the pen and feel of drawing, but they have. It seems much easier to control your brush stroke than with previous versions.

I don't use Painter a whole lot (occasionally), but with LightWave and Photoshop, I couldn't be happier with the new Intuos3.

Oh, and I haven't experienced any real problems with the zoom slider in either Painter or Photoshop. Actually, Voloview also uses it really well.

Pinoy McGee
10-27-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm happy with my new tablet especially with the touchstrips and side buttons. Only thing that I'm concern about is the actual surface when the edge of my drawing palm (which rests on it) lifts a corner during a long session.

Thinking of getting one of those cotton mitts some artists use to keep sweat off a penciled paper (avoiding smudging).

SheepFactory
10-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Do you guys think its a worthwhile upgrade from a Intuos2?

I am very happy with the intuos2 but I heard intuos 3 has a pen tip that feels like sketching on real paper? Is that true?

aLeaTioN
11-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone, i have bought a Intuos 3 A4 2 days ago and i am very happy with it, its my first tablet but i never thought it would be so nice.
I have drawed for lot of hours before sketching and that sort of things because i am an Art student and it's true that the intuos 3 pen tip feels like sketching on a real paper, it also "sounds" like a real pencil too.
Well the most important thing for me is that the new feature of the hot buttons at sides of the tablet was thought for left handed people like me, somebody say that the buttons in the right side aren't confortable but they are just perfect for me ! If they had put the buttons only at left side they wouldn't be of any use for me XD. Sorry for my bad english XD

quyeno
11-10-2004, 09:18 PM
I got a 9x12 (A4) a couple of days back and have not stopped playing it since. It is absolutely fantastic, i use the intuos 2 A4 at work and the intuos3 just blows it away. Its incredible, there is a very mark difference in the feel of it, the intuos2 had a very very slight 'floaty' feel to it but now v3 has no lag at all (due its higher report rate), i even use it for surfacing the net and also navigating my pc. And yes it really does feelspretty close to sketching on paper due to a new surface on tha tablet, its fantastic! The pen is a bit chunkier than last and feels very nice, like a top of the range chunky writing pen. The felt tip nib is really cool, close your eyes and it really does feel like...err...a felt tip. If you have te cash, get one now....apparently they are at a low introductory price at the moment.

Does anyone know what the spring loaded tip is for? I'm baffled.

Arjo
11-11-2004, 06:14 AM
I got a 9x12 (A4)

Does anyone know what the spring loaded tip is for? I'm baffled.
It's ment to give a physical feed back to give a better feel for soft brush types. I have the stroke pen with my intuos one. Most of the time I use two pens. The original hard one for chalk or pencil. The stroke pen for acrilic or oilpaint. I would like to have more pens. It's really great to switch between brush types just by switching pens. When I bought a small intuos 2 for my laptop I was very disappointed that the pens could not work on both tablets.

Arjo.

TheRedMunkey
11-12-2004, 11:42 PM
I just got a chance to fool around with a friends Intous2 tablet the other day. I know an Intous tablet is pretty much essential for any kinda of drawing on a computer, but I was slightly dissapointed in the Intous2. It seemed jumpy and it was very difficult to draw smooth lines without bumping up the zoom to outrageous amounts. The one I was using was the smallest one (4x5 I think). Do you think that the "jumpiness" could be due to the small size of the tablet I was using? Would a larger tablet make a big difference? And it seems that the new Intous3 is much more responsive and probably makes it much easier for straight/smooth lines/curves. Opinions ^.^?

Thanks!!!

Jinbrown
11-13-2004, 01:53 AM
The jumpiness could have been caused by the way the pen and tablet were set up in the Wacom Tablet Properties control panel, or it could have been that the tablet was too close to your friend's monitor or another electonic device that was causing interference.

Also, if your friend has Painter and that's the program you were testing in, it might have had something to do with how he/she had Brush Tracking set up (Edit > Preferences > Brush Tracking).

I've never used a 4 x 5 tablet myself, but a lot of people do and seem happy enough with them. Mine is a 6 x 8 and it's perfect. Not too large for my desktop (takes up 13 x 10 inches) and enough working space to be comfortable.

Maybe you can try out an Intuos tablet somewhere else and see if there's a difference, or try your friend's again with the items above in mind.

Good luck,

stark3d
12-06-2004, 12:46 AM
wacom makes painter

Jinbrown
12-06-2004, 02:35 PM
wacom makes painter
Nope. Wacom doesn't, and never did "make Painter".

Painter was originally owned and first released in 1991 by Fractal Design in California. Fractal Design merged with another company and became Metacreations. Metacreations sold Painter to Corel Corporation in Spring 2000 and Corel still owns all Painter products.

You may have gotten that idea because:

Wacom bundles Painter Classic 2 based on the full Corel Painter version, Painter 7, with their Graphire tablets.

Painter Essentials 2 based (probably) on the full Corel Painter version, Painter 8, is bundled with their Intuos tablets.

brenly
02-17-2005, 09:15 PM
I think a roller, similar to that on a mouse would have been better much than the touch strips. I find the touch strips a little unresponsive at times. Also I hate to say it but the touch strip works much better in photoshop ... thoughts???

LittleFenris
02-22-2005, 02:21 PM
I just got an intuos3 6x8 (my first tablet) and I absolutely love it. I can't believe how easy it is to get used to (I'm currently a traditional illustrator working in acrylic, watercolor, and colored pencil). Within 30 minutes I was pretty comfortable with the tablet. I'm using the pen tip with the spring in it. I like the feel of that one for painting...more like a brush than the hard tips. The hard tips are good for pencil drawing or using some other traditional stiff medium like pastels or chalks. I can't wait to start on my first digital painting with this tablet.

BTW, I'm glad I picked the Intuos over the Graphire. The tilt sensitivity is a GREAT feature, as well as the touchstrips (zooming one especially) and double the resolution of the Graphire models. Well worth the extra money spent.

SylvanMist
02-24-2005, 03:04 PM
I was wondering if there are people here with experience using both the 4x5 and 6x8 tablet sizes?
I am thinking of upgrading my 4x5 intuos 1 tablet to the intuos 3...and am wondering if it's a good idea to take a step up on the size too? So far I haven't had any problems with the 4x5 size, it's been just fine for me. But, you don't know what it's like until you've tried a different size...so I really dont know, it might help to have a bigger one. Can anyone give me some advice???

LittleFenris
02-24-2005, 03:44 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my 4x5 intuos 1 tablet to the intuos 3...and am wondering if it's a good idea to take a step up on the size too? So far I haven't had any problems with the 4x5 size, it's been just fine for me. But, you don't know what it's like until you've tried a different size...so I really dont know, it might help to have a bigger one. Can anyone give me some advice???

If you have a CompUSA nearby, go buy a 6x8 and try it out for a few days, if you don't like it you have 15 days to return it. That would be the best way for you to tell if its worth it or not. You might even be able to order it online (Compusa.com (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=315827&pfp=SEARCH) $329 or Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00030097G/qid=1109263412/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-2127986-6567018?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846) $299 or Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=83-100-016&depa=0) $295) and return it if you don't like it. Check the online return policies before going that route though.

EricUNSL
02-27-2005, 03:27 PM
I have the intuos 3 at work and absolutely love it. I use the spring tip all the time. The touchstrips are the greatest advancement for the tablet since they came out. I realize how lazy I am about using the keyboard for hotkeys now. I just use the tablets buttons for just about everything. When I go home my intuos 2 seems so old to me and I don't want to touch it.:sad:

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.