PDA

View Full Version : Normalmapping question

mackster
10-12-2004, 09:11 AM
I have made a hi poly model in Maya of which I imported into Zbrush.
I added some detail and saved the obj-file. Here I got a problem.

How do I apply my added detail to the obj-file so I can use it to calculate a normal map from the more "updated" hi poly model onto my lowpoly model?

Since Zbrush only export the added details as a separate mtl-file there must be some way to add this detail onto my new hi poly model? Some one who knows how to do this, or can point me to a tutorial? I am using Maya 6.01, and ATIs Normal mapper.

roguenroll
10-12-2004, 01:14 PM
not maya specifically, but check the last lightwave/zb tutorial in the links thread, here in this forum. Has quite a bit of how to work ZB, and what you are asking, its a great tute, even for other apps. 70% is ZB, only beginning and end are Lightwave.

Rogue

mackster
10-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks for you answer, but I am not quite sure about which tutorial you are talking about.
Is it this one: http://www.stevewarner.com/Tutorials/zBrush/zBrushTut.html ?

That tutorial only goes through how to add a displacement map, and as far as I am concerned, that only affects the model at render time. What I want to do, is kind of bake my new details added in zbrush into the new high poly model.

Thanks in advance,

roguenroll
10-12-2004, 04:53 PM
oh, sorry, ok. well I know that thats possible in most 3d apps, maya in your case.
But I don't know enough about doing it ZB.

wabash
10-12-2004, 06:47 PM
this is the displacement tutorial http://www.pixol.com.au/zbrush_maya_tutorial.htm
perhaps it will help getting the hang of the workflow with generating displacements, and will then help with the normal mapping procedure.

roguenroll
10-12-2004, 08:22 PM
well I was curious about it, but have only found instances of baking lights, shaders, and texture to a texture map. nothing relavant about disp baking for ZB. I'm sure if it was possible it would have come up in searches for bake, baking, and displacement @ pixologic. It didn't.

So I think, as I would imagine, it would be best to do it in the 3d app. Lightwave can do it. I found this, but I'm no expert in Maya, I unfortuantly havent done much in Maya.

http://dolinsky.fa.indiana.edu/caveart/fall01/show/nshipley/disp.html
this is Maya 3, but I guess the theory holds

redfuzz
10-13-2004, 05:03 AM
If you have a hires model, and you take it into zbrush, sculpt details subdivide and add sculpt some more, when you export the model from brush as an obj it will have all the new geometry detail in it. No need to worry about displacement maps, that's only if you want to use your initial modle and render with the new details. If you want it baked into the obj export the tool of the 3d mesh.
g

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.