PDA

View Full Version : Acting classes to improve animation?

F3D
10-12-2004, 04:33 AM
I've been thinking about this..the problem I have when I want to animate something is that I dont know how to express myself through the character. If he/she/it is suposed to for example do something funny..like..turn around and pick something up and then care for the object he picked up, I would have no idea of how to make that, sure technically I'd do the rig and move stuff around, but in what fassion? :)

Thats why I wonder if you think acting classes could be a good idea? Maybe not to participate yourself, but to sit around and take notes when everyone else is learning.
I recently had the chanse to choose 2 individual programs for two days of the week, and since I wasnt sure about the acting class idea, I choose drawing/painting and design, hoping that maybe that could improve on my non existant 2d skills, so that I could come up with some characters myself instead of ripping of free object packs ;)

erilaz
10-12-2004, 06:44 AM
I acted for about 8 years in the theatre before I got into animation (now I have no TIME to act!), and I can say that it certainly helps, because that's exactly what you're doing: Acting through the character.

voodoofactory
10-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Hi,

I'm studying animation at the HKU in the Netherlands and we're going to have acting classes next semester. It seems it's pretty common for animators to take up acting classes, and it makes a lot of sense.

F3D
10-12-2004, 08:09 AM
ah ok so I'm not crazy :)
how cool :D

I'll have to look into this then.. :)

nottoshabi
10-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Yes, yes, yes, acting classes rule. But just dont sit in the class participate. Animators are the bigest bunch of cooks I have ever met. And beighn an animator my self. I know how crazie I have to be, to keep my self on the edge. At work the different departsments are so conservitive and proper. The riggers are a bunch of geeks the texture artist are full of color and desighn the modelers are so laid back and just chill. But the animators are a buch of monkeys in a play pan. Other departments heads walk over to our area at least twice a week to tell us to settle down. We love to act, we love to be crazie and go all out. So yes go act, go find places that let you go crazie and go all out. Enroll in a drama class or anything that allows you to express your emotions and feelings. So my answer to your question is: YES GO GO GO... Dont waste not time. And about your shot were your not sure how to aproch it. Remember this line: When in dought act it out.

Good luck:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.