PDA

View Full Version : USB keyboard to Bluetooth

vrf
10-12-2004, 03:09 AM
Does anyone know of a little device that could attach to the cord of a USB keyboard and then send bluetooth signals. I'm thinking of using a USB keyboard for a PDA, but I'd need the adapter to change the usb to wireless bluetooth.

thanks.

-vance

lots
10-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Why dont you use a bluetooth keboard..

vrf
10-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Why dont you use a bluetooth keboard..Good question. But the keyboard I want to use is an AlphaSmart Neo, which doesn't have Bluetooth.

http://www1.alphasmart.com/products/neo.html

The Neo will run for over 700 hours on 3 AAs, stores hundreds of pages of text, and lets me see 6 lines of text on its screen. For long documents or e-mails, this is far better than other keyboards for Pocket PC. I only have to use the battery-draining OS of the Pocket PC for a few minutes.

Another way would be to get a Pocket PC with USB host capabilities. Not many offer this, but there are some. Oh, and the Neo will also beam docs to Palm devices. Maybe that's a better option.

Mibus
10-13-2004, 06:44 AM
You may be able to get WinCE/PocketPC software to accept the Palm-style beaming, if it doesn't already come standard.

vrf
10-15-2004, 02:59 AM
You may be able to get WinCE/PocketPC software to accept the Palm-style beaming, if it doesn't already come standard.
I've not read much about this. Is it possible? I mean, they both use IRDA ports, so it should be in theory.

What I'd need is more than beaming just contacts or appointments, though. The Neo is a serious text creation machine. I'd need to be able to beam large chunks of text to a Pocket PC.

If anyone here has had any luck beaming large chunks of text from a Palm to a Pocket PC, please weigh in with your experience.

Vance

Mibus
10-15-2004, 03:12 AM
It's quite possible, I've beamed stuff from my PalmIIIe to my Linux-based iPAQ and back before.

Text should be fine, too.

It's just a matter of working out if the default software will do it, and if not, finding software that will.

(I had WinCE installed for all of two hours on my iPAQ)

stephen2002
10-15-2004, 06:06 PM
PocketPC 2002 can send/recive files over IrDA from the Palm, PocketPC, and PC without a hitch. I'm sure 2003 supports the same stuff.

vrf
10-17-2004, 12:52 AM
Yup, thanks guys. I beamed files from my AlphaSmart Dana over to a Pocket PC just fine. The text loaded fine into Pocket Word, but I'd need to find a Pocket PC converter for some of Palm's PDB files, namely the WordSmith files that the Neo sends. But just plain text will work fine, too.

I also found a few Pocket PCs that have USB host ports and pre-loaded drivers for USB keyboards. These work very well with the Neo. :thumbsup:

Yes, battery life is a big deal for me.

Vance

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.