PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

project-09
10-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Hey Everybody,
Two parts to this question

1.) I've gone through a bit of this forum and read a lot of questions how which parts to use for a new workstation, AMD vs. Intel, PC vs. Mac etc. I've learned a lot but at the same time its also left me with doubts in my mind haha. I'll get to the chase, basically I have saved up $4000 to spend on a workstation. I am thinking of having my friend build it for me.

We're thinking of getting
P4 3.4GHz Extreme Edition (2MB of L3 cache/800mhz fsb/socket 478)
or
sould I go dual Xeon, can't seem to find Xeon's with specs that high...I'm sure I'm not looking hard enough.

Two SATA hard drives
2/3 gigs of PC2 4000 533...But now I'm confused...is the PC2 5400 the better way to go? Oi.

ATI x800

sound card...something normal ...probably get lowend SoundBlaster

2.) More importantly maybe...what PC would you get for $4000? I'm sure you guys know a lot more about this stuff than I do :). If anyone wants to go the extra mile...my two main concerns out of all this is RAM and CPU, any extra info would be great. But i'm also well aware of the numerous questions that have already been asked about these topics and will understand if you guys don't want to yack about it anymore.

lots
10-12-2004, 12:54 AM
It seems to be from previous posts, that ATI is not the way to go when it comes to 3D modelling and animation. Also, you will be hard pressed to actually find a Xeon up to the same specs of the P4 EE. But, you're over looking something when you're getting the p4 EE, a true dual cpu system. If rendering and 3D modelling/animation is your focus, then i would look towards the dual cpu system, even if the Xeon is not up to the same speed (in FSB or Clock) you'll have two CPUs to put to rendering jobs, and that will really help. Also overall system responciveness and ability to multi-task should increase since there will be two CPUs.

As for "PC2 4000 533", are you refering to DDR2? You should check to see if you can actually use DDR2 in that config you described..

The system I plan to buy in the next few months will be this:
Dual Opterons (Havnt decided which one yet.. they're kinda pricy past a certain speed ;))
at least 2GB of ram (DDR 400 with ECC and all that good stuff)
2 Sata (maybe raptors) in Raid.. or SCSI..
PCIe version of the Geforce 6800GT (possibility for SLI)
a nice case.. probably a lian li
the DK8ES (depending on how it looks at launch)
and probably an external soundcard (USB) since there wont be the extra pci slot for it..

project-09
10-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Sorry about the ambiguity, I am getting dual CPUs. So what you're saying is Dual Pentium EE isn't as good as Dual Xeon's even though the EE might have a faster FSB/Clockspeed? That'd be real interesting to know. My current computer has an AMD Athlon, I heard the pentiums are getting real cool nowadays so I thought I'd try it out. I agree those opterons get a bit pricey...saw one for 900 bucks the other week.

Yourworstnightmare
10-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Go to www.alienware.com (http://www.alienware.com)

There you can custom built your computer, for $4000 you can get a pretty good alienware, and alienware computers are some of the best computers available.

imashination
10-12-2004, 08:59 PM
and alienware computers are some of the best computers available.

Uhuh.

Give Boxx a go if you want a competently built machine

http://www.boxxtech.com/asp/default.asp

SheepFactory
10-12-2004, 09:10 PM
I would go with BOXX over Alienware any day of the week and twice on weekends.

Their workstations kick ass.

lots
10-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Sorry about the ambiguity, I am getting dual CPUs. So what you're saying is Dual Pentium EE isn't as good as Dual Xeon's even though the EE might have a faster FSB/Clockspeed? That'd be real interesting to know. My current computer has an AMD Athlon, I heard the pentiums are getting real cool nowadays so I thought I'd try it out. I agree those opterons get a bit pricey...saw one for 900 bucks the other week.
Dual Pentium 4 EE? I dont think you can do that... To my knowledge the P4 EE is a socket 478 chip and also a socket T chip. Neither of which are used on any of Intel's dual CPU systems.. Also, if you can even find a P4 EE you will be surprised to find out that they are almost $1000 or more...

Check these prices on new egg:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-169&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-187&depa=0

As for pentiums being "real cool" nowadays.. do you mean temperature wise? If so thats a false statment.. The current generation of Athlon64/FX/Opteron all operate at about 85watts while prescott based P4s run almost 105watts (at times sometimes higher); for heat dissapation that is..

Ed Caracappa
10-12-2004, 10:02 PM
I'd start by asking what software applications you plan on running. Feel free to give me a call at 512-225-6313. I'd be happy to give you some friendly advice...no obligation. You can also email me at ed@boxxtech.com

Ed

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.