PDA

View Full Version : Motion smoothing

GKED
10-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi, trying to figure out how to smooth-out the movement of an object when changing its direction between keyframes. eg/ object moving towards camera then moves away, but i want it to appear like its on elastic.

Do you use the same thing for movement of camera?

Cheers

Dennik
10-11-2004, 05:43 PM
No need to move the camera, imagine the trajectory of a rubber ball as it bounces on the floor, do the same shape with the curves of the channel, or channels that your keyframes are at (you need to play with the TCB values for that to happen), only add a small inverted curve to where the spike (contact keyframe) should be. I would say 2 keyframes one frame before and one frame after the bounching frame, would do the trick for you.

GKED
10-11-2004, 05:58 PM
ok thanks, but i was told there is simply a button to press that will smooth out the motion between keyframes. am i being lied to?

Dennik
10-11-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm not aware of any smooth button for the curves, even if there was one, it can simply ruin your animation moving your object to places where you don't want it to be. Go into the Graph Editor and spend some time tweaking the TCB values and shifting your keyframes in time, or values, in order to get a smoothed animation. Curve tweaking is something you can't avoid when you do animation. ;)

GKED
10-12-2004, 12:22 PM
looks like i cant be as lazy as i wanted to be then!! ha ha. thanks mate

Triple G
10-13-2004, 04:49 AM
Don't forget that you're not limited to TCB curves. I use Bezier curves pretty often since they can give you far greater control.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.