PDA

View Full Version : How do I assign hotkeys to brushes

crossbones
10-11-2004, 01:23 PM
I created an assortment of brushes which I use often I am getting irritated using the palettes to switch between. I would like to know if there is a way to map keyboard hot keys to something like a watercolor brush varient etc.

I use opencCanvas a great deal because of that fact. I love Painter 9 though!!!

Jinbrown
10-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi,

No hotkeys for brush categories or brush variants.

Instead, use Custom Palettes to hold icons for your favorite brush categories. If you choose a specific brush variant first, then drag the brush category icon onto a Custom Palette, each time you click that icon, the brush variant will be selected.

Read Help > Help Topics to learn how to create and use Custom Palettes.

Also read how to create custom brush categories with their own icons of your choosing so you can, if you want, place each of your favorite brush variants in its own brush category and then be able to recognize them by their icons.

Main menu and palette menu command buttons can also be added to Custom Palettes to help make your workflow smoother and allow you to close other palettes while working.

rebo
10-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Custom pallettes etc are really nice, but it would be great to be able to use all of my keyboard for shortcuts.

Jinbrown
10-12-2004, 09:22 PM
In Painter IX, you can use your keyboard for most things and set up keyboard shortcuts just about any way you want.

Using Custom Palettes is the fastest way to make your brush categories and brush variants ... and load multiple brush libraries with a single click.

ryders
10-15-2004, 07:15 AM
This is now my #1 Feature Request for painter Ten if not sooner, ideally I would like to have as few palettes on the screen as possible and just see the art... flipping back and forth between brush / blender / eraser. It would be badass if I could just pust the keyboard to the back of the desk and just use the wacom 3 and eliminate all the clutter.

#2 Is the ability to open up a second window if the painting scaled to show the full composition on monitor 2 while working in details on monitor 1.

Nemein
10-17-2004, 02:04 AM
Is is possible to configure the Wacom to switch between brushes with its 2 buttons? Doubt it would be possible though..
Switching between brushes was driving me nuts too - especially when I have to switch each and every single time I have to blend something... Thanks for the tips people.

Jinbrown
10-17-2004, 03:45 AM
Neimen,

Again, use Custom Palettes. If they're set up right for your project and you use keyboard shortcuts for everything else, you can close just about all other palettes and free up tons of working space.

You can customize your keyboard shortcuts to toggle individual palettes open and closed too, and open and close all palettes with a single click on the Tab key.

Set up your Custom Palette the way you want, arrange your palette layout the way you want, then save the palette layout.

Do this for individual projects and you'll find it's every bit as fast as using keyboard shortcuts for brush variants and... it's more versatile.

Learn how before deciding it's not what you want.

MasonDoran
10-18-2004, 12:50 PM
ouch....and i was going to post the same question today...

Thanks for your help Jin.

It still wouldnt hurt to be able to have a hotkey for an eraser...and smudge...and an airbrush....because i often more then not dab some paint on the canvas...then smear it...dab so more...smear it....hundreds of times in an hour. It would be a pity to need a pallete open during the process because i usually dont need more then 2 or 3 brushes for a session and my left hand is on the keyboard anyways so i might as well use it.

ryders
10-19-2004, 11:20 PM
I can sortof understand why it might be hard to set up a key command for items in a custom palette, but what if there was a hybrid palette where painters underpinnings understood that there were say 5-10 brushes the user used most of the time. It might be easier for the program to target brush variants placed in those slots and then the user could assign keystrokes to them? The custom palettes are totally random, so it would be hard to tell the program to fire off an eraser in "Joe's custom palette #402". But if there was a "favorite brush" palette say... with a finite number of spaces for brushes, I would think it would be eaiser.

IF this makes sense, Jin would you pass it along to the dev people at Corel? You seem to have your finger on the pulse there.

ryders

Jinbrown
10-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Nope, ryder. I won't, 'cause you can do it yourself.

First, you know what you want.

Second, I don't feel like asking for something I don't believe is important or needed as much as other things that would have a greater impact.

Third, I'm tired.

Fourth, I'm tired.

Fifth, I'm trying to be untired so I can get ready for a three day vacation, the first in a decade (seriously).

Here's the name and e-mail address, but remember, Painter IX was just released and the better part of a year of Beta testing, bug fixing, and improvements have just been completed plus all the months of development prior to Beta testing. It's doubtful your request will be addressed very soon.

Corel Painter Program Manager, Rick Champagne at:

rick.champagne@corel.com

Be sure to make your request clear, concise, and including all necessary informaition.

Good luck! :)

ryders
10-20-2004, 12:42 AM
Heh...

Thanks Jin. I understand the tired part... Have a good 3-day. I'll do my best to clarify my idea before sending it to Rick.

ryder

crossbones
10-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Also network painting would be great too. OpenCanvas 1.1 had painting where you and a buddy could work on the same painting at once (up to 4). It was fantastic and fast. Unfortunately they took it out of their last version. Can you imagine how fast a huge mat painting could go with multiple artists working on it at once.

Jinbrown
10-20-2004, 03:35 PM
ryder,

Thanks for the understanding (tired) and your good wishes for my 3-day vacation. My daughter, youngest grandson (14) and I are flying to Colorado the last weekend of this month to see my middle grandson in the first U. of Northern Colorado play of the year, Jeckyl and Hyde, the musical. He's a freshman and completely excited to get into the play, even in the chorus. ;)

It'll be fun, even if it's only a 3-day trip.

Jinbrown
10-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Also network painting would be great too. OpenCanvas 1.1 had painting where you and a buddy could work on the same painting at once (up to 4). It was fantastic and fast. Unfortunately they took it out of their last version. Can you imagine how fast a huge mat painting could go with multiple artists working on it at once.
Hi crossbones,

Painter had a feature called Net Painter through several versions. I believe the last version was Painter 7 and it wasn't nearly as popular as one would think.

It was used for collaborative online painting between two or more participants. One was designated to provide the host computer, sent his/her IP address to the other participants, opened Painter and waited. Once everyone was connected and each participant posted a message in the tiny chat window, one of the participants was designated to begin painting. There were three "lights" at the top of the Net Painter section, yellow to indicate you were waiting in line for a turn to paint, red to indicate you could not paint, and green to indicate you were allowed to paint. Most painting turns lasted from five to ten minutes, in order to give each participant a turn and to generally keep the flow going.

I did this two or three times a week with a highschool art class in Ohio for several months and it was fun... when we could first get connected, then remain connected long enough to get some painting done. The art teacher and I also did some Net Painter sessions after school hours and we had a great time.

For a while, I had a group at what is now Yahoo! groups to teach people how to use Net Painter and schedule online painting sessions. I also had a section on my PixelAlley site to show off what the highschool students did in Net Painter sessions.

It's too bad Net Painter wasn't more popular as it could have been a great feature for artists to learn together and to have fun together.

Happily, we do have the ability to share artwork in progress on many message boards and there are ways to work on the same image together, even if it is a bit less quick and spontaneous than "live" collaborative painting.

I seriously doubt that Net Painter will ever be brought back into Painter, since it was part of Painter for so many versions without enough interest from users to warrant keeping it.

MasonDoran
10-23-2004, 11:10 AM
ok....here is a hotkey question......can set a hotkey for resetting the main color/additional color....and then be able to switch them with a hotkey?

its a common method to have a gray layer set to multiply and then just tweak in shades of gray while an underlying layer contains all of the color

Jinbrown
10-23-2004, 05:02 PM
ok....here is a hotkey question......can set a hotkey for resetting the main color/additional color....and then be able to switch them with a hotkey?

Use Shift+X to switch the Primary Color and Secondary Color from front to back and vice versa.

its a common method to have a gray layer set to multiply and then just tweak in shades of gray while an underlying layer contains all of the color Use a custom Color Set containing all of the greys you'll be using, or first pick the grey you want then add it to the existing Color Set by clicking the Add Color to Color Set icon at the bottom of the Color Sets palette.

Another thing you can do that might be easier is to click the numbers 1 through 0 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0) to change color Opacity from 10% to 100%, since you're working with a single base color (black or grey) to begin with.

http://www.pixelalley.com/jins_images/10_to_100pct_grey_black_demo.jpg

Using the last method, you can begin with any shade of grey, not just black as shown in the demo image above.

MasonDoran
10-25-2004, 09:10 AM
cheers for that Jin, so i presume there is nothing for reseting the color swatches to black/white...

hmmm...is it me or is it currently not possible to have hotkeys to adjust the fall off or the brush or any any kind of incremental hotkey (like for opacity) but for the other brush setting like Resat and Grain and what not...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.