PDA

View Full Version : 'Bridge' vs 'Create Polygon'...?

ya3
10-11-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm just having a look through the R9 demo, and the only way to make N-Gons is to use the Create Polygon tool. I've always used the Bridge tool with polymodelling, so what I want to know is if there is any real difference between the two tools.

Thanks. R9 is great :D

AdamT
10-11-2004, 02:20 PM
The tools are similar but the workflow is a bit different.

Incidentally, there are multiple ways to make ngons, including: knife tool, edge melt, bevel, and edge cut.

TimC
10-11-2004, 11:14 PM
so what I want to know is if there is any real difference between the two tools.

There is a huge difference. The main difference is that the bridge tool needs some geometry to work, where as the create polygon tool will create geometry without anything there.

Tim

ya3
10-12-2004, 01:00 AM
Yeah but, what I usually do is draw points using the 'Create Points' tool, then bridge them together. What I've noticed with the Create Polygon tool is that it makes new points on top of the ones I've already drawn...

Erik Heyninck
10-12-2004, 11:10 AM
I used to point-model like that too (poly object, points mode, then create points), but I now prefer the create poly tool for many things. You can choose quads, and to keep the direction I use the Tab key (press twice) to start a new poly. I usually start with Alt-D to switch of the axis.

flingster
10-12-2004, 12:24 PM
not sure how it works in r9...but try filling/cutting holes with create poly as opposed bridge.
read bunks tips on bridge.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12977&page=1

or psionic designs tut
http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/c4dtuts/c4dbasics01.html

bridge has its place
create poly has its.

hope this helps...but as i say probably less relevant with R9 as there is probably big changes on the tool usage front.

moka.studio
10-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Also,
you can melt selected polygons together ( or melt away edges) to create ngons.
jp

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.