PDA

View Full Version : Sharing external HDs

ramiro
10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi, i got 2 pcs networked and have all their internal hds shared without any problems. one of them has an external maxtor firewire hd. for some reason whenever i restart the pc it is no longer shared, i have to do it all over again.
any ideas?

singularity2006
10-11-2004, 11:58 PM
What is the operating system, network type, etc?

ramiro
10-12-2004, 10:39 AM
windows xp pro sp2
1gb lan

Maven
10-12-2004, 01:47 PM
I know that I am not answer your question but, I found out that sharing external HDD's is not a good idea...it shortens the life of the drive and data corruption is more likely to happen.

Vertizor
10-12-2004, 04:50 PM
I know that I am not answer your question but, I found out that sharing external HDD's is not a good idea...it shortens the life of the drive and data corruption is more likely to happen.
I half agree with you on this. Shortened life time and data corruption are things that could happen to any hard drive used in any way. In fact, your internal drives that go through more thrashing everyday compared to an external one that can be turned off and lay to rest. Magnetic disks alone aren't reliable enough for data backup. So he should be fine using it for everyday storage, but it's still a hard drive, and hard drives can die.

ramiro
Try this:

Open Control Panel. Go to Administrative Tools, then Computer Management. Inside that window look for "Storage" and an item under that called "Disk Management." Look for the drive letter that represents your external drive. There should be a long "bar" to represent the patition on the drive. Right click on it and select "Change Drive Letters and Path"

Click the "Add" button, and make sure "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder:" is checked. At this point, you can create an empty folder on your C: drive and mount your external drive there. Once that is all set up, you share that folder on your network.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.