PDA

View Full Version : First 'successful' Game Model

tantoedge
10-10-2004, 11:29 PM
I've been working on this model for about two days and while it's 'functional' I'm not happy with the current point layout.
I'm practicing here, so feel free to be MEAN.

I wanted a functional face, even on an NPC, but I also want the poly count as low as possible, and yes, I'm a quad junkie. I don't know how else to do this and I've looked at a few examples for a step in another direction.

http://adp.250free.com/ffnpclow.JPG
Note:
I just noticed, the ear is a little high. Oops.
Modeled in XSI.

Sagestillo
10-14-2004, 05:30 PM
May i suggest that you begin your modelling process with some photo references or some front and side orthographic drawings? you can create a plane and just apply the texture a.k.a. drawing to teh plane and then scale it. I commend you on jumping right into working on a game model though. It's a nice start it is def. something that you can mold.

Ghostscape
10-14-2004, 05:45 PM
check out www.saveloomis.org and www.fineart.sk and www.3d.sk and check out the tutorial sections of conceptart.org and eatpoo.com for reference photo listings.

All of your proportions are goofy. Mesh flow looks ok but the placement, density, etc of your verts is really bad, too.

tantoedge
10-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the critiques! Insofar as my topology is concerned, I'm elated to hear that it 'works'.
Insofar as the proportions go, I'm not extremely concerned simply b ecause I was going for a fast hard hitting NPC.
The ear is off and I'll probably spread the facial features (chisel the chin a bit, etc...) but otherwise, his proportions (believe it or not) are on par with what I intended.

RmachucaA
10-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Are you modeling the kid from the late 70's early 80's "mask" movie? the one with the huge face? it looks like him.

tantoedge
10-15-2004, 03:43 AM
lol!
Not intentionally...

Just practicing topology layouts with this one.

I have trouble picking anything in particular to model.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.