PDA

View Full Version : Softwares or Softwarez? (MOD EDIT: Now with Sharewate and PLE links)

Surrealismistique
10-10-2004, 02:05 PM
I guess this is a taboo question, but are warez a necessary evil? Can kids, the artists of tomorrow be using it? Or will be 3d talent a thing for people with $$$$?

Thanks

StephanD
10-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Softimage has Exp version which is free

Maya has a PLE verison,free

Max can be learned through Gmax,partly which is free

There's blender,wings3d...

There's no reason to do it.

Para
10-10-2004, 02:35 PM
There's no reason to do it.

I both agree and disagree with you - don't get all mad yet, let me say what I think.

"Warez" is on a ground level a bad thing both for the company and legitimate users starting from loss of money to the odd whining emerged from the mouths of those "warezd00dz" who don't seem to realize that most of their technical problems with the software (say, drawing a cube causes program to quit) is caused by a lousy crack.

The fluctuating "good" thing with warez is what most people use as an excuse when doing it: "If I like it, I buy it." Yes, it's a nice thought in theory and I know more than a handful of cases when this has happened, but way too often it's just an excuse.

The real saviours for both the company and legitimate users are the demo versions of basically everything from movie trailers to demo games. I always try to stress it to the people that they should try the demos and ask other people's opinion (both positive and especially negative) before actually buying the product itself since it saves a lot of money and also gives one a bit less spotless mind, so to speak.

About the "evilness" of this subject in general I could organize four 10 hour lectures, but that's just a bit too much text for a forum post.

Surrealismistique
10-10-2004, 02:38 PM
I mean the FULL POWER APPS with all the bells and whistles.

RobertoOrtiz
10-10-2004, 03:18 PM
>>Shareware 3D Modelers and Renderers List<< (http://www.3dlinks.com/oldsite/software_modshare.cfm)

>>Maya PLE<< (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/eng/products-services/maya/maya_ple/index.shtml)

Ok here is the stand of the forum, wich I fully support.
Warez are not supported, never have, never will.
Period.

A lot of effort, time and money went to the development of your favorite
3d App. To simply give it away like free candy, is insulting to those who spend years
of their lives working on these apps. There are free alternatives out there that,
people without money can acess. From learning editions of Maya, Houdini, and even Lightwave,
to free programs like wings.

This is an argument that is NOT open to debate, so I am having the last word..

-R

leigh
10-10-2004, 04:32 PM
How many threads like this do we have to close down before you people acceot that this topic is NOT up for discussion on CGTalk?

Sorry Roberto, I'm having the last word here! ;)