PDA

View Full Version : Maximum CPU temperature (amd)

javierdl
10-10-2004, 06:26 AM
I need to know what is the maximum temperature for my AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU. Presently it is at 53C. I hope this is not too high. I had to buy a new CPU cooler but it doesn't seem to be doing much for it. I have to keep the case open and a regular fan on it constantly too.
I also had to increase the CPU temperature at which the BIOS would start the alarm, from 53 to 56, this is the only way I could shut up the alarm. But I hope I won't burn something in the process.

Thanks in advance,

DPC

lots
10-10-2004, 08:27 AM
It's fine to operate at that temperature, its when you hit the 60s and 70s (in C) you should worry. Granted 53 is not a good temperature, it is an operable one. You might want to think of doing something about it though. Average temps should be in the 40s, and if you do enough research and all that you might be able to get it down into the 30s.

As an example, I have an Athlon XP 1700+ that, when it used to be in my system, ran at 24C constantly. It was also overclocked to about 1.9 GHz. This was cooled by just heatsink and fan. Granted the heatsink is 500 grams of solid copper :)

brudney
10-10-2004, 09:50 AM
hi,
i agree with lots it's an operable temperature. especially, if your xp1800+ is based on a palomino core. even if it's a thoroughbred xp, it's more or less ok (although the temp should be much lower). it all depends on the heatsink and fan you have installed. once i had a palomino xp1800 cooled by an ordinary aluminium heatsink/~3500rpm fan, and the temp was something about 50-55C. which was ok for this configuration i guess. so no stress.
now i have a thoroughbred 2400xp + cooper heatsink/~2000rpm fan and the temp is 40-42C.
by the way, you won't burn anything unless the temperature hits something about 80C. however, start worrying when it's 60-70C (as lots mentioned).

javierdl
10-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks a lot for the info guys :)
So based on your replies it looks like it all comes down to a good copper cooler, is this correct?
If so please recommend one to me, 'cause I just bought a Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition (http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1725.htm) (with Opti-fin technology, all copper {40 fins}) and is doing exactly "nothing"! :( I know because I was watching the temperature in the BIOS yesterday and even when I manually increased the cooler's speed to its maximum, I never saw the temperature moving one degree. Unless it doesn't change in real time.

http://www.thermaltake.com/images/coolers/volcano/1725/v11a.jpghttp://www.thermaltake.com/images/coolers/volcano/1725/v11b.jpg
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1725.htm (http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1725.htm)

Btw, today it's reached 56C :(

Later,

DPC

rubberduck
10-10-2004, 05:41 PM
The other thing to check is that your bios is up to date if you are using that to read the temperature, as this can be a factor.

I have a sensor attached to the bottom of a xp3200 and the bios read 20 degrees higher than the sensor until I updated the bios.

Vertizor
10-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Don't just slap a fat heatsink on your CPU. You also need to ventilate the inside of your case. Otherwise, the heat that the heatsink is supposedly removing is just being insulated inside the chasis. Have one case fan at the bottom front of your case blowing air into your case, another fan at the back towards the top to blow the hot air out of the case (hot air raises so this is where it gets trapped). This arrangement will give your computer good airflow. Sticking a bunch of fans randoming into your computer isn't going to help either, you need to plan and place them strategicly.

Lastly, this one is going to be harder for you to control, but consider the room temperature. If it's too hot in your room then guess what? It's not going to be much cooler inside your computer. Water cooling is another option, but this would rely more so on your room temp.

javierdl
10-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Did I tell you I am new to cooling a computer? ;)
Please don't laugh too hard now... A friend just told me about the importance of that "white thick liquid" that I didn't use :rolleyes:

I'll go put it right away, I hope this is "the thing" that will just do the trick for me.

DPC

lots
10-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah, the "white stuff" (thermal grease) is needed to fill the gaps and imperfections on the heatsink surface and the cpu surface. Otherwise airpockets could form between the CPU and the heatsink, and creat insulation and an increase in temperatures. Although, be careful because too much of the stuff will also cause insulation, you really dont need a whole lot. There are varying types you can get, I would invest in some artic silver though, there's nothing better ;) Applying artic silver is pretty simple as well due to the instructions that usualyl come with it..

alexyork
10-10-2004, 09:29 PM
also, the arrangement of stuff inside ur case can have an affect. keep a clear airway from the back to the front, have at least one fan at the front and one at the back (ideally two on each) and keep your cables tied up and nicely tucked away or taped to the mobo to keep things smooth. give ur fans a clean, re-sit your heatsink (with a little thermal paste! - crucial!) and generally dust it all off. try to keep your larger PCI cards near the bottom away from the gfx card to keep airflow going around nicely. a mate of mine had exactly this problem - he had literally NO thermal paste on his CPUs... it's a wonder it didn't just melt! after a little pasting, some tidying up and some dusting, his CPUs are both down by literally 50% to about 30degrees each from an average of 55-60 degrees each. also, keep ur PC away from radiators, direct sunlight and any other heating equipement. it's even a good idea sometimes to keep the sides of the case off and away somewhere else, but in some cases this can impede smooth airflow inside the case, which is the name of the game. get a decent realtime mobo monitor that monitors all your fans and spend a few hours getting everything running as best you can. it will be worth it for the sake of an hour or two. and buy the best heatsink you can afford. :) and get arctic silver not some cheapo stuff.

HeebieJeebie
10-11-2004, 12:16 AM
i have a 1800+,and boy does that sucker runs hot.. 60-75c at full load on stock voltage & cooling. You shouldnt have any trouble upto 80c,probably will get instable beyond that point.athlon 2500+ can handle considerably less heat ,mine runs around 45c and it almost certainly becomes instable beyond 75c.

You shouldnt be too worried about 'frying' your cpu to toast,overheating usually just results in hangups and some strange artifacts in display... at 55c you should be a-ok,but i suggest running some stresstest (prime95 or such) for good 8hours,should confirm if you have any problems.

javierdl
10-11-2004, 01:12 AM
This is some very helpful info, thanks guys :)
Unfortunately my CPU temp has reached up to 60C, just a couple of hrs ago :(
I did put that thermal grease, but like Lots says, chances are I put a bit too much :rolleyes:
I am still checking if there are new BIOS updates for me. Other than that I can't think of anything else to do.
Should I consider water cooling?

DPC

verbal007
10-11-2004, 01:20 AM
Dual AMD Athlon MP 2000s
1GB RAM
2 100GB Caviar SE 8MB Cache
PCI Slots CRAMMED with cards
Leadtek GeForce FX 5700

Been running this system for about 2 years now, 24/7. System seems pretty stable. No issues that I've noticed... so far.

Avg temp = 59-60 C
Peak = 65-66 C

Not saying that I recommend running this hot, just saying that if you're like me (I've done everything I can to get this board cooled down) and you're stressing... I wouldn't stress too bad. Due to the shitty mobo layout, I'm limited on my cooling solutions. If you have a dual machine, the case fans are going to be your biggest factor. 120mm fan in the front bottom and top back, pulls the air right through.

- Jeremy

lots
10-11-2004, 03:09 AM
The heat created by your XP 1800+ will depend on which core it is. Tbred based 1800s are going to be considerably cooler (as evidence by my 1700 @ 24C) than the Palamino based ones. Also, my own rule of thumb has been to never go with the XP's stock cooling, as it wasnt very good. And you can buy better for the price difference of OEM and retail CPUs. Water cooling would be an extreme solution, and way too expencive if you ask me.

Twozzok
10-12-2004, 08:36 PM
while on this subject, can i ask what kind of temperature P4's run on, (Prescott i think) it's a 3.4 Ghz kind

edit: turns out it is a northwood

MukMan
10-13-2004, 01:13 AM
hmm, I have an amd68 1800+ with the stock heatsink/fan that came with it and a single 80mm fan in the back of the case. It was running at about 38, which seemed ok to me. I didn't put any paste or anything on it, just followed the instructions and strapped the heatsink down on the fan. I did, however, put in a frontal fan in attempt to make a nice air stream from the front to the back of the case, that looked like it got the temp down to 33-35. Do I need to add thermal paste or anything, or is this just fine? (all temps are temps at idle from bios)

lots
10-13-2004, 01:54 AM
amd68 1800+
amd68 1800+? You mean Athlon XP 1800+? If so, the ones based on the tbred core are generally pretty cool. At that speed anyway.. and the stock cooling would probably do fine on those.

MukMan
10-14-2004, 12:06 AM
I meant amd 64 1800+ actually, hehe

2800+, I'm retarted and can't type properly.

lots
10-14-2004, 05:06 AM
Lowest grade Athlon 64 is a 2800+....

EDIT: Also Athlon 64's are generally way better with thier cooling than the XPs were, plus the AMD heatsink specs were increased so that the A64 is better off with the stock Heatsink/fan than the XPs ever were :)

daft-crut
11-18-2004, 04:46 AM
My Sempron 2400+ running at 35 c and 42 c at overload. Before I modded the case, at overload the temp went 62 c, now the temp is 20 c cooler, and what I've done is just adding 3 more chassis fan (two fans on the side case, and one on top of the cpu). The weird thing, if I open the side case, it went to 58 c, that means it's cooler with the side case on, because the air ventilation, or circulation is better...well you may try this one :)

PS:sorry for my bad english

javierdl
11-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Thanks a lot for the tip daft-crut :)
The only prob I'd see with that alternative is that the additional fans got to be quiet (and probably expensive) :(
But Is definetely good to know anyway, thank you kindly.

DPC

daft-crut
11-18-2004, 09:09 AM
well, it actually not that loud.. my other pc is louder using volcano 7+ slow mode...and I'm using Aerocool fan case only cost for about $4 each, but I had to saw off my side case to make a hole, that's the only cons for me...but it pays well...

lots
11-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Sempron 2400+ are based on the Tbred core ;) so you can probably expect similar temperature ranges.

My current rig (a Tbred 2100+) never breaks 40C and i've been using it for well over a year. I do have a pretty decent airflow in my case, 2 80mm fans in the front and two in the back, along with one on the heatsink. Oddly enough, the loudest fan (one i found in a junk pile :P) is also the fastest spinning one, and not on my cpu ;). I could probably take it out if i wanted to cut the noise level down.. Or invest in some "silent" fans

pennywong
11-24-2004, 02:42 PM
My CPU is AMD XP2500+
Everest Pro110(AIDA32) report:
main board:39C
CPU:58
HDD:42

MadMax
11-24-2004, 04:17 PM
Just because it is in a "safe" range doesn't make 50's ok. It shouldn;t get out of the 40's if it is set up right.

Applying thermal paste.

THIN COAT!!!

spread it on the core with a credit card, business card or something similar with a nice even edge. it should be so thin that you can almost see through it. It shoudl NOT look like a glob of toothpaste, like you are about to brush.

BE NEAT.

If you glop it off the edges, and get it on the little thingies sticking up (dumbed down for newb understanding) then carefully clean that off. A Q-Tip (cotton swab) and rubbing alcohol will get it off very neatly.

Position heatsink, hold it firmly in place, and attach the clips, making sure not to allow the heatsink to move all over the place.

imashination
11-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Sir wants one of these :)

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1043/

lots
11-24-2004, 06:10 PM
I've got a Thermalright on my CPU, good stuff :)

thats one massive heatsink btw imashination...

kmblackbear06
12-03-2004, 10:14 PM
XP 2800+ here running currently/constantly at 70-79 F (20 C) I forget what my fan+Heatsink is but it's great, not too loud either... I can look for you if your interested. Was around 15/20 bucks I think. Never has failed me yet.

daft-crut
12-04-2004, 03:02 AM
since my first experience with AMD (AMD Athlon T-Bird 850 MHz) I have never reach such a cool temperature like 20 C, I wonder what's wrong with my CPU, cause I've always read the instruction on applying fan and heatsink carefully, I mean like applying thermal paste...I live in tropical land, but could that be the reason?

My AMD always reach 55 or 60 at overload, although it doens't give me any problem, but as I read what madmax wrote, about processor should not heats over 50 c...then there is something wrong with mine

My setups:

1. AMD Barthon 3200+
Idle : 40 C
Overload : 55 C

2. AMD Sempron 2400+ (rigged with 3 more additional casing fan)
Idle : 32 C
Overload : 48 C

Andyman
12-04-2004, 05:23 AM
I used to have a PII that ran consistently at around 80*C, and that was my most reliable computer ever. Crazy hot though... didn't know much about cooling then O : ).

Right now I'm running an AMD AthlonXP 2200, with a non-stock Kwi heatsink 'n fan (I forget what one, it's nothing spectacular). Right now with me just being online it's running about 46*C, and at peak it runs about 52*C. I have seven fans total, and with that much air I'm thinking it could be a little cooler. Nothing to worry about though I guess.

DrPepperCan, I'm sorry your CPU is running hot. If the heat is not causing hangups and other noticeable problems like that, the only other side-effect of the heat can be shorter a shorter CPU life-span. However, unless you don't plan on upgrading in the next five years or so, I doubt that's a concern anyway. Good luck, man.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.