PDA

View Full Version : Half way to eye dropped color

rebo
10-10-2004, 02:30 AM
Say i have a color chosen, and want to pick a color halfway between that color and a color already in my painting. Is there an easy way to do this via a short cut of some kind?

Lunatique
10-10-2004, 05:27 AM
That''s what the Mixer Palette is for. :thumbsup:

Jinbrown
10-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi,

If you want to be semi precise about it, pick your two colors, Primary Color and Secondary Color, create a Two-Point gradient, open a 300 x 300 pixel Canvas, fill it with the Gradient, and use the Dropper tool to pick a color halfway across the Canvas (in the center of the Canvas).

There are a few ways to "mix" colors explained on my PixelAlley site, if you don't like the Mixer palette or don't like doing math. Among those little tutorials is one on using the Two-Point Gradient method:

A Few Ways to Mix Colors (http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/a_few_ways_to_mix_colors.html)

Really, it's not a big deal to mix colors using the Mixer palette or picking color from the Colors palette. It's easier than ever and those tutorials on my site were only created because people complained so much, wanting to mix colors like with traditional paint.

Between the following Painter 8 and Painter IX features, you've got plenty to work with:

Colors palette
Mixer palette
Color Sets
Color Info (RGB and HSV sliders)
Gradients

And the good ol' Canvas and brushes to mix right there on the image, or on another Canvas opened for the purpose of mixing colors.

rebo
10-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the great replies, i was kinda after something with a bit quicker workflow. But its ok ill just use the mixer in future i think :))

Giacomo_M
10-10-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm more familiar with Photoshop but here are two suggestions:

1. You could do it numerically- average the R,G, and B (or C,M,Y, and K) values on a calculator.

2. You could make a block of one color, set the opacity to 50%, place it over a block of the other color, and then eyedropper that.

Good luck.

GM

Jinbrown
10-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi,

Just ran a little test and the mathematical way GM suggested is more accurate than the Two-Point Gradient method I suggested, even with precisely placed Guides at the center of a 300 x 300 pixel Canvas, zoomed in to the max (1600%), and picking with the Dropper tool several times. Both are time consuming.

The Two-Point Gradient method is more accurate than using the Mixer palette.

And, using the Mixer palette is far more fun and more natural. Plus, it's more artist-like, methinks, since we seldom need mathematical accuracy when painting. So's picking from the Colors palette easy and natural once we get used to it.

Whatever works, though, is the way to do it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.