PDA

View Full Version : Way to make texture show on transparent object?

Lasercade
10-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Hello,

Is it possible to make a texture with alpha channel be the only thing visible on a transparent object in Lightwave? If so, can someone point me to how to do it?

thanks,

mm

SplineGod
10-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Even if an object or surface is transparent it will still be able to react to light, reflections etc.
You might look at using a clip map instead.

leigh
10-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Yes, make a corresponding texture and add it to your transparency channel so that the area where the texture needs to be is not transparent at all (ie it would be black in the texture image).

Unless you are wanting to make the object actually invisible, as opposed to transparent? In which case you should use a clip map in Layout (in which case you'd simply add the afore-mentioned image to the clip map texture in the objects properties).

Lasercade
10-09-2004, 10:25 PM
thanks,

The clip map was what i was looking for.

Strangely, it seems to be inverting the alpha channel, making the alpha area visible and the texture invisible. Is there a way to fix this within lightwave?

thanks for your help,

mm

Lasercade
10-09-2004, 10:29 PM
I think I found it. The clip map works with luminance, not an alpha channel.

thanks,

mm

SplineGod
10-10-2004, 12:06 AM
alpha maps are typically 8 bit grayscales. Clip maps use JUST black and white levels only. If you use an alpha you have to adjust it to clip at just the right levels.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.