PDA

View Full Version : TCB SPLINE Smoothing Problem

Mike Pauza
10-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi guys.

I'm writing an expression to automatically control the Bank of an object based on it's centripetal accelleration (for example...a motorcycle would lean correctly and automatically). One problem I've run into is that LW's motion curves are not very smooth. Yeah you can make the actual curve "look pretty smooth to the eye" with the TCB controls, but it's really terribly unsmooth...it's velocity (slope) and accelleration (slope of the slope)look bad.

I wrote expressions to show me a channels velocity and accelleration curves, and watched those while adjusting the TCB settings...and that helped a lot, but I still got little "accelleration spikes" around the keys which I couldn't totally eliminate. Try to move an object in a circle with just 5 keys and you'll know what I mean about accelleration spikes.

The effect on my bank expression is that I get good looking lean between the keys, but at the keys there's some annoying "bank popping" going on.

Should more keys help? Can LW animate with a spline curve? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks. -Mike

Triple G
10-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Maybe try setting your curve type to Bezier? Not sure how much that would help, or if you've already tried it, but it's worth a shot. :shrug:

Mike Pauza
10-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Thanks Triple G.

Actually I got it to work. TCB controls work fine! Thanks NewTek!!!

In case any newby animators are reading this, I realized you can really make your motions look better animated by right clicking on the channel, choosing show velocity, and editing the TCB controls point by point so that the velocity curve is smooth. Not only do you then have a smooth motion path, you also have smoothly changing velocity...that's something you don't automatically get with keyframing! You can go one step further and smooth out accelleration...but that's another story. Hehehe. :)

-Mike Pauza

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.