nividea quatro 4
tyan motherboard

or

2 Compac w6000
dual 1.7 XEON
1 with 2gig / 1 with 1gig
NVIDEA GAP card
not surea bout the motherboard

The need is comming up for me to have some good rendering power for some HI poly Hi res scenes.....my question is to you experts wich of these 2 pairs would preform better.

My supplyers offered me a hella deal on both units

but the compaqs are cheaper by about 40%.......

Using Lightwave...aftereffect...photoshop....

Thanks guys,,,,I am by no means a hardware expert and need some advice...

novadude
10-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Do you know if the athlons are mp1700's, or if they are 1.7Ghz (mp2100's)?

iC4
10-09-2004, 05:59 PM
the mp1700 doesn't exist...

novadude
10-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Oh yeah :) Lazy bums at AMD made the 1500, 1600, and 1800 but didn't actually make the 1700. Too many people modding the old xp 1700's into mp's on other forums lately.

That makes his choice easier then. Get the athlons, and sell the quadro's on eBay.

essencedesign
10-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Are the Athelons a quicker chip....I've heard that they are more stable also.

Vertizor
10-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Are the Athelons a quicker chip....I've heard that they are more stable also.
Quicker? In lightwave yeah. In all the Lightwave rendering benchmarks I've seen, the AMD chips always win even when a ways slower in clockspeed than the Pentiums/Xeons.

As far as stability goes, don't listen to what other people tell you. Many will say Intel chips are more stable, me personally I built several AMD systems and never a problem but most of the Intel systems I've built have hardware related problems. But then the next person will say AMD chips overheat and melt themselves.

lots
10-10-2004, 07:33 PM
But then the next person will say AMD chips overheat and melt themselves.
Thats somewhat ammusing now. ;) The Pentium 4 (Prescott) dissappates about 120 Watts of heat. The Athlon 64/FX/Opteron Dissappates about 85 Watts.

Tell me which one is hotter ;)

Anyway, as for Lightwave, you have just contradicted everything i've ever seen in relation to Lightwave Intel and AMD. Lightwave has been optimized for SSE2, the Athlon XP cannot utilize SSE2 but the P4 can.. Hence the P4 (generally) is faster than the Athlon XP, however the Athlon64 generation can hold its own against the P4 (probably due in part to its better architecture and implimentation of SSE2..). This is just from what I've seen. If you wander over to the LW forums most people there would recommend you Intel, at least from a rendering perspective.

essencedesign
10-10-2004, 10:45 PM
OK...so basicaly a dead heat between the processors...

but what about the Workstations

The Boxx or the Compac w6000..

sorry about all the questions...just trying to do my homework before I buy

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.