PDA

View Full Version : New winbox - hardware, what to buy?

spiffers
10-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Im gathering information on hardware for my new win workstation at work. Im thinking of a double CPU Opteron solution with 2 gig RAM, but the guy at the store told me to check what kind of processor is the best for my applications, so this is kind of an Intel vs AMD war again.

The applications I use for my work is Maya Unlimited 6.1, Motionbuilder, Combustion, AfterEffects, Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS.

Any suggestions from the techwiz in here?

Mantat
10-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Im gathering information on hardware for my new win workstation at work. Im thinking of a double CPU Opteron solution with 2 gig RAM, but the guy at the store told me to check what kind of processor is the best for my applications, so this is kind of an Intel vs AMD war again.

The applications I use for my work is Maya Unlimited 6.1, Motionbuilder, Combustion, AfterEffects, Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS.

Any suggestions from the techwiz in here?

Opteron is viewed as the best solution for Maya. Intel is for 3DSMax.

spiffers
10-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Ive done some research now, and it looks like the Opteron has support for SSE and SSE2, so it looks like the AMD choice will be the most likely for me at the moment. I have still another week until I decide on what to choose.
I have also checked all the threads here in the forum regarding the 64bit issue, and I guess the Opteron will get another performance boost when WinXP-64 is released.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.