PDA

View Full Version : Walk cycles, help needed!

neilyb
10-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Okay, try as I might I am not having that much success....and my hair is being pulled out.....and I can't sleep night knowing that this simple movement, necessary to prove you can animate, is eluding me.

http://www.neilyb.de/nbdesign/animation/anim3.html (flash 6 anim, 130K)

I am getting happy with my feet and leg movement (although my rigging isn't the best) but I fall down when it comes to arms swinging and hips swaying.....any tips and advice would be most welcome!

Thanks

N

Tukata
10-09-2004, 10:59 AM
hips are fairly easy to do, the biggest part of animating is getting up and actually doing the action. Here is how the hips work:

There are four motions: verticle movement, horizontal movement, twisting movement, and the dropping movement.

In a walk cycle the hips are at their lowest point when both feet are on the ground (contact pose) and at their highest point when one leg is passing the other (passing pose). There should be a subtle verticle rise and fall of the hips when walking.

To get the proper weight shift it's important to move the hips horizontally as well. As a human steps he shifts his weight onto the supporting foot so at the passing pose translate the hips horizontally over the foot that is staying stationary.

To animate the twist simply rotate the hip corresponding to the front foot forward slightly at the contact pose, at the passing pose the hips should be relativally flat (no rotational twist).

To get the hips to drop rotate them slightly so that the hip that corresponds with the stepping foot is slightly lower then the hip corresponding to the supporting foot.

The shoulders of a human rotate opposite the hips so when your left foot is forward so is your right shoulder and vice versa. Also a humans head doesn't really bob when they walk.

neilyb
10-09-2004, 11:07 AM
I'll try this out. Actually getting up and walking (I cannot watch anyone pass me by without disecting the walk, the head movement, the hands....arms...) doesn't easily translate into keyframes!

There is a newer version without floppy wrists....but I still have problems smoothing out certain areas, such as the left (his left) wrist at the ned of the cycle gives a little jump. I have copied the first and last keyframes, smoothed out the curves at either end....is this something to do with the movement of the body, changing the wrist via the arm IK....?

Here goes again.

THANKYOU!

Laia
10-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Hi Neil!!
I think you should try with the FK arms. You won't have to care that much 'cause the arms will just follow the movement of the upper-body.

Try Y-rotating a bit more the back, and also the head on the oposite direction.

and if you don't know exactly where the problem is, just exaggerate all the movements and make a cartoon walk-cycle before a realistic one.

Hope it helps!

Laia

neilyb
10-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Here is the FK arms version:

http://www.neilyb.de/nbdesign/animation/anim3.html

I guess this will cause other problems once I am past the "animating cycles" stage of animation, such as IK/FK switching......
I need to change the skeleton a bit, add Clavicle bones to allow me to rotate the shoulders more and give them movement.
I still am unsure how to stop the whole body from following the rotate of the hips (trying to animate the back to compensate looks jumpy!)?

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.