PDA

View Full Version : Burning DVDs in Nero

eliseu gouveia
10-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Hi, folks, I wonder if you could help me out here;

It was backup day today and, after a serious computer crash, I decided to stack all the contents of my hardrive inside DVDs.
Now my hardrive is actually pretty weird, it has jpegs by the bilions, photoshop in PSD format of drawings and comicbook pages, but also AVIs, quicktime film trailers, word documents, GOFs, etc , etc.
Ive burned 5 DVDs tonight and in ALL of them Nero gave me an error when burning the DVD.
I would really like to know what Im doing wrong.

I usually go to "Nero startsmart", select the DVD option in the DVD/CD part and then data-> create data disk.

Im almost sure Im choosing the wrong option here, but I would really like if you could describe how you usually do to burn a DV D with such a diverse content.

E.

Sieb
10-09-2004, 05:53 AM
Just start Nero Burning Rom itself and switch to to DVD-Rom (UDF). If it fails again, let us know what the error was and we can go from there.

shehbahn
10-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Nero's drivers are pieces of ***. I have installed it on 3 different machines and had various problems on all 3 - i am now using the software that came with my TDK burner.

robinson
10-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Nero's drivers are pieces of ***. I have installed it on 3 different machines and had various problems on all 3 - i am now using the software that came with my TDK burner. What kind of problem you got with Nero, burned even the cheapest DVD without any problems so far. @ eliseu gouveia

Is Nero your only "burning" software installed, I experienced problems when you got more then one software installed.:shrug:

shehbahn
10-11-2004, 06:02 PM
i'll give you one example :
- Nero pre-installed on my laptop
- put a random burned DVD in the drive
- the laptop doesn't recognise it
- the laptop crashes at shutdown
- the laptop keeps crashing during reboot even in safe mode
- twiddle the BIOS : no change
- physically remove the DVD drive from the laptop : no change
- attempt booting from XP install CD : crash

only way to reboot the laptop : unplug it, remove the battery and restart in safe mode (don't ask... no idea, makes no sense)

looking at crash log : guess which driver was faulty ?

that's just one... the desktops had other interesting issues in the same vein.

eliseu gouveia
10-11-2004, 06:11 PM
I simply cannot burn DVDs.

I burn CDs well enough, but when I stick a DVD in, its usually "unable to finish burn process".
He ejects the tray and off comes an unusable DVD.
There was this DVD Ive burn yesterdayy using Siebs advice to use the UDF option and it burned it alright.
However, the DVD drive I used for the process was unable to recognise any documents inside the DVD afterewards (it came off as blank) and my other DVD drive that did detect them only manged to open 2 out of the hundreds of files in there (who were all corrupted, namely the jpeg ones).

Nero 6 Is my only burning software, I used to have this Sonic something app that came with the drive, but I had loads of problems with it too and I just threw it to the garbage bin.

My latest clever trick?
To buy an external hardrive.
Lets see what issues emerge from yet this new approach-

I just want to do a backup....... :(

MattClary
10-11-2004, 06:33 PM
i'll give you one example :
- Nero pre-installed on my laptop
And there would be your problem. The best thing to do to a new laptop is fdisk it and get the bloatware off that came with it, then install the OS from a real OS install disc and not the restore disk that ships with the laptop.

I base my burner purchasing decisions on whether or not it comes with Nero. It's the only way to go, in my opinion.

Gein
10-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Eliseu, are you using the latest version of nero?

Current version: 6.3.1.25
Release date: September 20th, 2004

http://nero.com/en/nero-up.php

Gein

imashination
10-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Which DVD drive and Which exact brand of discs? use neros cd info tool to find the manufacturer, or give us a description of the discs

balistic
10-11-2004, 11:56 PM
There's a free program called Deep Burner (http://www.deepburner.com/) you could try if Nero keeps giving you problems. I burned a data DVD with it the other night and it came out fine.

JohnnyRandom
10-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Well instead of burnin a gajillion DVD's to backup, I went out and bought one of these:

http://www.storcase.com/dataexpress/de110.asp

A removable drive bay with a couple extra carriers, its a whole hell-of-alot cheaper and easier than spending hours burning stuff... Buy a 200 gig harddrive throw it in a carrier, slap it in you box :) and tranfser yer files...
Fast easy data recovery, grab a little peice of shareware called "ZZEE Art Directory Print" and print the contents of the drive and store all your drives in a heavy duty antistat lined Pelican Case.

Your data will be easily recoverable and safer than on DVDs

MadMax
10-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Gotta agree with that last advice. I have an external drive, plug it in, back it up store it away.

DVD's take way too long.

Regarding Nero, have it installed on 3 different machines, works great. Never had a problem with Nero.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.