PDA

View Full Version : Still Life: Dinner Set

AaronATL
10-09-2004, 03:58 AM
Hello,
I am a new member, and this is my first post. I am a continuing student at the Art Institute of Atlanta. I did this project in Max 6 using a light dome and some spot lights for lighting and an HDRI map for the reflections. I used the standard Max renderer with no radiocity or light tracer. Let me know what you think. Please tell me what to improve- all criticism is welcome!

http://stu.aii.edu/~ama034/images/stilllife.jpg

My website: http://stu.aii.edu/~ama034

madart
10-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Nice composition and good colours!A few things I noticed...

The apple has reflection, lower it, is my suggestion.
The grapes look like "real plastic" grapes. I think it could be a good idea to move many of them closer to the plate, as if pulled down by gravity.
A little more specularity on the orange and maybe some translucence.
Maybe make the area around the wood on the apple a little darker, not at all refelcective and deeper.
The shadows seem to be a little too blurry, but maybe that will change with other render settings. The light seems to come from the left and the shadows doesn't seem go in that direction.
I am not so sure about the background / wall. Maybe a dark red brick wll or a beige concrete wall.. just suggestions.

Looking forward to see the progress.

Rhid1en
10-11-2004, 07:44 PM
I agree with his critique... I'd also like to add that you should work further on the textures for the table... It's hard to tell what it's supposed to be made out of, as is? If it's marble, you need to adjust the spec and reflection...if it's plastic, I'd recomend adjust both as well, as adding a slight bump...

other than that, the shadows would be my first area of attention...

esotericsean
10-11-2004, 11:22 PM
i agree. the shadows are kinda strange. i especially noticed that on the glass (which looks like it's floating). the apple and pepper grinder look a little too reflective, too. the plate (with the grapes on it) looks extremely realistic, but yea.. those grapes.. they need something. they look dead. awesome work, though, hope to see a finished version :)

ksgfx
10-12-2004, 10:21 PM
It may just be the shadows as previously mentioned, but the scene doesn't seem bright enough compared to the reflections in the glass. The plate looks really nice.

AaronATL
10-13-2004, 12:56 AM
thanks for the great advice everyone- i'll work on better shadows now.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.