PDA

View Full Version : exporting,importing, skinning

sonn
10-08-2004, 04:17 PM
i have a head skinned to a rig. i've skinned the jaw, eyelids, and neck, and lots more.

but now i want to combine the head to the body, and keep the skinwieghs for the head. is this possible?

what i tried to do was to merge the verts on the neck while the head was still skinned. everything seemed fine, so i export the weights, detach the skin, reattached the skin, imported the weights, and.. Damn. the skin turns into a mush.

is it possible to combine the two geometry parts while keeping the weights on the head? i dont want to restart this becuase then it means that i have to start the whole blendshape process for the EyeLids, and Jaw over again.

thx

EDIT: oh, and another thing. if i try to export the weights using Maya's export weights tool, i get this:

// Result: 1 //

basically it just doesn't export anything without giving me any errors

EDIT: Another question. is there a way to copy the weight on one jont and paste it on another? thx

Undead Fred
10-11-2004, 08:47 AM
I know you can copy skin weights from one surface to the other using edit smooth skin -> copy weights, but I'm not sure if that will help you in this situation...

aghill
10-11-2004, 07:05 PM
EDIT: Another question. is there a way to copy the weight on one jont and paste it on another? thx
For that you could use the component editor. Remember to turn off weight normalization before transfering the values from one joint to the other.

A solution to your problem is to keep your rig the way it is, in low poly. make the rest of the body, and eventually use the the head as a wrap-deformer for a higher-resolution head, which is combined to your highresbody.

asod
10-12-2004, 07:34 AM
I've played with you problem and this is what I found:

The reason you can't export weight with Maya's export tool it's because

You have two skinclusters in the history stack. Maya can't handle it.

What you can do:

Use Maya "copy skin weights", for that to work you need to duplicate the combined model And copy skin weight from one model to the other.

Another way, I think is better, export skin weight per vertex, after combined, and then reSkin. ( for that you need a script ) So if you have the same vertexes number, and you have, it will work.

tell me how it goes

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.