PDA

View Full Version : Early Bird, Adrian Cher (3D)

AdrianCher
10-08-2004, 03:18 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/13043/13043_1097248700_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/13043/13043_1097248700.jpg)

Title: Early Bird
Name: Adrian Cher
Software: 3ds max

Render of a Tyrannosaur taking a morning stroll. Hope to finally get some animation done after this. Spent quite some time rigging and setting her up. Cheers! Crits greatly appreciated.

Skyraider3D
10-09-2004, 02:41 AM
Awesome work! Both modelling and texturing are superb. The only crit I could give is for the mouth area. The textures there aren't as convincing as on the rest of the body. But that's only a minor point. Very much looking forward to seeing it animated! Top job! :thumbsup:

arona
10-09-2004, 02:56 AM
yeah really awesome. im almost unanimous about mouth. the mouth was one of the first parts that came to my eyes. maby it should be more wet, maby:shrug: . and im looking forward for the animation too. great :thumbsup:

koncz
10-09-2004, 03:46 AM
I agree for the mouth textures, except this minor point, it's a great work :thumbsup: and i wait for the animation :).

Georges. :)

ervine
10-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Hey hey another cgtalker from the sunny island of singapore... hi hi..

Anyway.. I think it looks really good although there is a small lack of ferocity in the T-rex... can't put my finger on it but I think it might do with the lazy looking eye and the dry mouth... Oh and since it's morning, you can add some steam (is it called steam) to it's breath...

The trees are a photograph?

AdrianCher
10-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback, i agree, the mouth area bothers me too. I'm gonna try add some dripping sliver for the animation..and maybe like Ervine mentioned some 'steam' is a good idea.

Don't really know when the animation will be done, but i'll definitely post it when its finished.

Skyraider, you've got some awesome warbirds, modelling aircraft in Cg is way better than building kits the old fashion way! We can see them fly.
I've posted a P40 Kittyhawk yesterday, it's somewhere? Some comments from you would be great.

Anyway, here's a complete sideview render.
http://home.pacific.net.sg/~matrox/EB_Side.jpg

mattmos
10-09-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm not normally a fan of dinos becuase you see so many, but this is absolutely first class! Great texturing and integration into the background, though I do agree with the comments about the wetness of the mouth.

Looking forward to the animation!

adel3d
10-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Exelent Work::thumbsup:

xcvbnm
10-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Top class work ....
Could star in Jurasic park-IV
:thumbsup:

turx
10-09-2004, 01:51 PM
it can't be better!!
damn it looks beautiful!

respect :bowdown: for the textures and the overall scene!

bobzilla
10-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Wow! Fantastic work. First rate texturing (any chance of a tutorial??).

The trees and landscape are perfect. How did you accomplish that???

I've been working on some dinos myself (see website link below), but definiely not of your caliber.

Keep us posted on updates!

DAREONER
10-09-2004, 03:39 PM
the model is great and background to, good work:thumbsup:

AdrianCher
10-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Wow, thanks for the compliments guys, thought dinos were extinxt already.
I could post some shots of wires and the rig that actually shapes the mesh to form the muscles and ribs etc.. The skin actually slides over these when animated. ???

Found my Kittyhawk... it's at
http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=175989

bobzilla
10-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Adrian: That would be great. Any and all insight would be appreciated.

Did you use Absolute Character Tools for anything?

And any info on your environment would be great, too. Trees, plants, lighting...

Thanks...

Nelis
10-09-2004, 05:17 PM
sweeeet......i always love dinos...........very nice and confincing renderwas the background photo taken somewhere in redwood forest or muir woords or something?

very good work and waiting on the animation

greets niels

Ecleposs
10-09-2004, 05:59 PM
great work:thumbsup:
....5 stars from me:)

Plasticbag
10-09-2004, 06:08 PM
ah this is !#@! great. i have no crits!

hey you the guy from singapore too!

joel3d
10-09-2004, 06:21 PM
I love the attention to detail, you get the feeling it has muscle and bone underneth.
Very good work, Incredible texture!
How long did this take?

I am interested in the Tyrannosaurus too, if you wish to see athother. T-Rex anotomy study (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=175025)

DavidKwok
10-09-2004, 06:55 PM
:thumbsup: Cool work.

HenningK
10-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Awesome. I love the detailing around the eyes. I kind of like the side view better right now cause we can see her in all of her glory.
love,hen

Skyraider3D
10-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Skyraider, you've got some awesome warbirds, modelling aircraft in Cg is way better than building kits the old fashion way! We can see them fly.
I've posted a P40 Kittyhawk yesterday, it's somewhere? Some comments from you would be great.Hehe, very true! 3D scale models don't collect dust and you don't need to clean Photoshop airbrushes either! ;) I do miss the smell of thinner though, but that's another story! :D
I've tracked down your Kittyhawk post and left some "constructive criticism" there! ;) Good work!
And thanks for the nice comment! :cool:

slackjaw10
10-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Awesome work. My only crit would be the teeth. Given the types of animals this guy would prey on, you would expect at least a couple of chipped teeth, and they wouldn't be nearly that white either.

Saeed
10-10-2004, 02:42 AM
super work:thumbsup:

Savi
10-10-2004, 07:36 AM
wow dude that looks fantastic, mak him eat somthing lmao

xjgd4321
10-10-2004, 07:50 AM
wow! awesome.
Nice image.

cpaulson
10-10-2004, 11:13 AM
all i can say is wow! I would love to see how you set up the rig on this guy, i know very little about setting up a proper rig and i am sure that seeing yours would help! thanks for showing this awsome work.

cycom
10-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Awesome work!! I can't see any flaws on your model. It's too perfect! nice modelling and texturing.:buttrock:

AdrianCher
10-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the interest guys, really appreciate it.
Yes, i'm using ACT, i did some beta testing last year, but got busy..hmm must see what's new.

The background is a photgraph, bits and pieces from Nat Geo, It's actually a plate, matched my camera to the Spherical Fish lens effect. Trying to keep it simple.
So i have some screen shots to show my setup rig :)

http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~matrox/TrexRig.jpg

arona
10-10-2004, 04:36 PM
ohhh, really its great. i like your rigging. :)

neversong
10-10-2004, 04:44 PM
wow, I really love this.

any animation to show us?

cheers,

-HWasup Song

thesuit
10-10-2004, 05:21 PM
above discovery channel material.... exellent work.
waiting to see some animations

Skyraider3D
10-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Nice rigging! Can't wait to see her (him?) walk :D

IdeasUnlimited
10-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Just been brousing and wow! What a model and the textures well wow! Soon to be in Expose 3 I believe

bobzilla
10-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all the insight, Adrian. I always appreciate it when someone is willing to share their methods.

I don't use Max, but it's very interesting to see your set up. At this point, similar things can be done in most apps. With the exception of the ACT portion.

Yeah, I'm thinking of the most cost effective and render effective method for doing trees, bushes, etc.

I was thinking of purchasing some stuff here: http://www.imagecels.com/

pdobq
10-11-2004, 06:08 AM
good work!

shuwan
10-11-2004, 06:28 AM
awesome^_^. Love the dinosaur. I'm blown off.The texture look really beautiful...except the mouth part which look a little bit dry.

Cyborgguineapig
10-11-2004, 08:01 AM
looks great, don't see why this wasn't plugged, you have a great model and from the looks of it a great rig setup aswell. I can see what other are saying about the mouth but its only minor.

roguenroll
10-12-2004, 02:26 AM
great job, I'm workjing on a dino myself (triceratops). your looks great. wow those max bones are wild, definatly not your run of the mill bones display.

can wait to see the animation.

SpaceTik
10-12-2004, 02:34 AM
Great stuff! looks like you'll have fun animating that monster.. Been meaning to get round to rigging my models... hope its not too hard a learning curve.

erilaz
10-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Spectacular placing into the environment. The rig you have set up looks exceptionally well thought out (and not too complex!)

Since you're breaking it down for us, can we see your texture set up as well?:D

evan
10-12-2004, 02:55 AM
Adrian, Nice work! Would have to be the nicest dinosaur I've seen in some time :thumbsup:

FibreOptix
10-12-2004, 03:21 AM
Wow!!!

I'm working on a T-Rex my self for the past couple of weeks ... after I saw this I deleted my file because it was pathetic in comparison.

How the hell did you do the texturing on it? I'm finding it impossible.

GREAT JOB...

jdsb
10-12-2004, 03:28 AM
incredible work ,much respect :eek: :eek: :eek:

aazimkhan
10-12-2004, 03:58 AM
nice work, i am particularly interested in the working on the rig, can we see some movement tests of the skining , rigs....and maybe later on some texture maps :)

sweet work. I love dinosaurs myself, one of these days i`ll do a model too, looks at such work with wireframes and rigs - really amazingi inspiration....please show us some more behind the scenes and making stuff

Atom Rend
10-12-2004, 04:45 AM
I cannot find anything wrong with it. The model looks flawless. I absolutely love the texturing. The scene is perfect.

I don't see how anyone can have any criticism of it. All my compliments to you.

DigitalShadow
10-12-2004, 04:49 AM
I dont belive this is 3D this is a picture of a REAL DINASOR AHHHHH`! But then agian if my history is correct dinos are long gone so this is an image of some alian photography OMH where not alone AHHH!!

J/K Awsome job i love dinos

Cheers ~DigitalShadow~

xiao_x
10-12-2004, 05:04 AM
hei,nice job,really perfect in modeling and texturing :applause:
i`m from Malaysia,ur neighbour country,wish can meet u and visit your studio in future..... :bounce: ;)

oxyg3n
10-12-2004, 06:06 AM
This is really cool, I want to ask you what is ACT? I have never heard of it before.

neilyb
10-12-2004, 06:15 AM
:buttrock: RESPECT!!!

roguenroll
10-12-2004, 06:25 AM
tell us about the BG and forrest, thats as impressive, maybe some wires?? or screenshots?

thx

Matt
10-12-2004, 06:40 AM
Regardless of the artistic value of the animation, I'd like to see a test walk or something so I can see the ribs and muscles interacting with the skin.

Archetype
10-12-2004, 07:01 AM
the tissue between the jaws seems a bit odd
Also i'm missing the Drool ^^

for the rest
Great pic
nice choice of surrounding
Blends in decently

texturing is Good except for the noted points above
modeling ..
fantastic !

can we see a wire ?

fried
10-12-2004, 07:39 AM
That is really an awesome render. The environment, textures, lighting......... WOW. U just forgot the kitchen sink.:applause: :bounce: :thumbsup:

cgjie
10-12-2004, 07:41 AM
so greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!!!
:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

xenoid
10-12-2004, 07:49 AM
another fabulous work by u Adrian! the muscles are great! glad to see another s'porean on front page... :cool:

Zardoz
10-12-2004, 07:50 AM
amazing work. very weel done. I love the rigging...

I am also trying to do an allosaurus but i haven't started texturing. How did u do yours? Did u used any special application?

:applause:

Dominique
10-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Great and Impressive Work,
Congrats

Dom

Lexo
10-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Woa! incredible realism! 5 stars for me! :thumbsup:

urgaffel
10-12-2004, 08:03 AM
All I can say is very cool work :) The minor point about the mouth has been mentioned already and that's about it. The rest is top notch, especially the integration with the background. I'm really looking forward to seeing this move!

tomaya
10-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Splendid Work!

rockmetalray
10-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Totally impressive!!Awesome!!!Great intregration with the background too!!

wayfaerer
10-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Looks really great, better then in Jurassic Park! As I've never seen a T-Rex in real life, I can't say whether it's realistic or not, but it may well be!

joo
10-12-2004, 10:17 AM
:thumbsup:Great work! And I like the background very much!

TaTaC
10-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Impressive work :eek:

Where you find reference? have you a blueprint?

marcinkolendo
10-12-2004, 11:24 AM
beautiful. only one thing that I find could be improved - nice and clean teeth!!! In my opinion it would look better if your dinosaur had his teeth a bit more dirty, covered with blood or a kind of limescale....
Cheers

CuTnPaste
10-12-2004, 11:27 AM
:applause:

Nice work !!

It is really professional !! nice

animation? :)

LucianoBerutti
10-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Amazing work!!! I didnīt find anything about the render. Which render did you use?

dominicqwek
10-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Nice work adrian! I'm looking forward to see her in action, with saliva and all. Keep the fire burning. ;)

feverinlove
10-12-2004, 02:05 PM
beautiful. only one thing that I find could be improved - nice and clean teeth!!! In my opinion it would look better if your dinosaur had his teeth a bit more dirty, covered with blood or a kind of limescale....
CheersI second that.

Gekido
10-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Amazing!!! I love it, though the front teeth bother me a bit... don't know why.:shrug:
Also I agree they're a bit too clean. :D

EVIL
10-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Ditto on making the face dirty with blood.

You have to keep in mind that a t-rex is a scavenger, so take some examples of creatures like vultures that are scavengers and apply some texture characteristics onto your t-rex, for example makie his head covered in rotten blood, and give it a more red tint to the skin like he never washes his face and the old blod is leaving stains into the skin. A t-rex also hardly goes out for a stroll during day time, if not, he hardly goes ever out for a "stroll"

A t-rex tries to smell dead and rotten meat. it would be a nice idea to have his head pointed to the floor like he is smelling something.

these "details" all add to "realistic" possebilities ypu can add to your t-rex. + never have him pick up anything with his front paws.. its impossible. He can' t even reach the corners of his mouth with it let alone pick up something. Also running isnt such a good idea. t-rexes arent good runners, plus they would brak their back and ribbcages if he would hall. he doesnt have large front claws to break is fall and he can't lift himself up with it. The t-rex would die with broken bones and internal bleedings from a fall.

LuckyDevil
10-12-2004, 02:33 PM
totaly awsome!! good job. :thumbsup:

AdrianCher
10-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the positive comments guys!:) I'm really glad you all like it. It's one of those pet projects of mine, after watching Jurassic park, i've always wanted to recreate a Trex, i guess nowadays it's much easier, with newer tools etc.. ACT is a Discreet certified muscle and skin plugin. Check it out at : http://www.cgcharacter.com

For texturing, uvw unwrap, used photoshop to create texture from some photos of Rhinos, elephants, crocs lizards etc...i downloaded plenty of ref of these creatures and then looked thru them and photoshop-cloned areas that could be used to create a dinosaur skin. Much easier than painting from scratch.:) I've ended up using a shellac material, Oren-nayar-Blinn for the base consisting of Diffuse map, bump map mixed 50-50 with a cellular map and a map for Gloss, Spec and Diffuse Level ( to create the wet/dry areas.) Inverted and used as a mask for the Reflection slot. Also a Displace map applied on top of the Meshsmooth modifier. This was also mixed in to contribute to the Bump map. It adds finer detail to the Displacement.
The shellac layer just had a copy of the Bump slot.

For the render, used Brazil, 1 bounce, 1 Direct for Sunlight.

Again, thanks for the crits! Will make the changes highlighted and try to get going with the animation. Looks like i've got plenty to do...little by little i'll get it done.

Cheers.

dgpilot
10-12-2004, 03:40 PM
EXCELLENT work mate. Everything is top notch

Ufung
10-12-2004, 04:08 PM
AWESOME :buttrock:

good modeling n texture ,hope to learn from you ~

YEAH ~ :bounce:

Por@szek
10-12-2004, 04:58 PM
AWESOME IS THE LITTLE WORD FOR THAT MEN!!

Looks great, if You give us some larger render, I alway love dinos, they are so... mistic?? Whatever, front page , great job , hat from head.

skyraider
10-12-2004, 05:34 PM
all respect for you :applause:
five stars *****

KamionQ
10-12-2004, 05:39 PM
compliments on this dino. like the texture and the stance.:thumbsup:

Papa Lazarou
10-12-2004, 06:05 PM
If you wish to make it 'scientifically accurate' you might want to alter the nostril position.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/08/0802_dinonose.html (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/08/0802_dinonose.html)

As for that scavenger theory that someone mentioned, that was never really scientifically accepted. It is considered more likely that T.rex was a predator and partial scavenger, but it really depends which scientist you listen to.

r3mix
10-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Wow nice job! Looks very nice! I also think blood would be a nice touch. :thumbsup:

zilverink
10-12-2004, 07:41 PM
I love it.. really great... everything really

only thing is that i feel the tail end a litle strange.. maybe it's just me.. dunno.. D:.. great work...

Jeroen
10-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Looks great but, isn't he falling.

He doesn't look natural, it looks like he should fall Wright on his face because he isnít is good balance

To much body in front of his legs.

at least, that is what I think

Bulba
10-12-2004, 09:11 PM
This is better than jurassic park, lost world and jurassic park III all togheter!!!:applause: :applause:

Un saluto agli italiani che han postato!;)

EVIL
10-12-2004, 10:47 PM
If you wish to make it 'scientifically accurate' you might want to alter the nostril position.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/08/0802_dinonose.html (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/08/0802_dinonose.html)

As for that scavenger theory that someone mentioned, that was never really scientifically accepted. It is considered more likely that T.rex was a predator and partial scavenger, but it really depends which scientist you listen to.
If you consider the top speed of 30 miles an hour, the small front paws that can't grab anything then he wouldnt be a good predator. Unlike the allosaurus with his bigger claws and higher speed, the t-rex wpuldnt kill alot. most of the dino's are faster then him and a fall because of a stegasuarus would be fatal to him, he simply can't get back up when he is on his side. He would starve to death or be eaten when he gets weaker.

it all makes alot more sence then the "king of predators" title everyone has given to him because of his huge teath. (that would make more sence on a scavengers head that wants to eat) A scavenger needs big sharp teath to eat, dino's can't hunt with teath only. You need big sharp claws to grab the other dino that might resist, or huge slashing claws to rip open skin, teath only is a huge limit.

roguenroll
10-12-2004, 11:38 PM
im thinking that since they were around for millions of years they're pretty hardy.
Im on the 1/2 pred, 1/2 scav bandwagon. Seems he'd have to eat too much to just hope to scavenge all of it. And a shark doesnt need hands and it does fine. Also there are trex teeth and indents embedded in , for example triceratops spines , neck bones, and such.

sorry im a dino nut, what can I say.

neomato
10-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Hey you've done a great job with the dino, very beatiful. No offence intented I'm just grabbing the chance to ask a question to everyone. Ive been meaning to ask for some time now. There has been like what 10 years since jurrasic park, I'm guessing the technology (both software and hardware) has advanced maybe to the point of personal computers being more powerful than the powerstation that was used to render the scenes for the movie. My question: why do the dinos from the original JP movie still look more incredible and realistic that any personal (ar maybe even professional) project I've seen to date? Is it just me? I would have thought that by now they would look outdated even funny but no sir they still look amazing, don't they?

Matt
10-13-2004, 01:05 AM

While that's interesting, science is always right until the next scientist proves it wrong.

Look at our hands, for example. In one hundred million years, scientists would be able to reconstruct the basic form of our hands, but they would never know that we had nails, or what kind of nails we had.

With dinosaurs, especially the T-Rex, look at the raised eye sockets. We typically illustrate this as a raised feature in their skin as well, but for all we know, that could have been a sloped feature, much like the webbing between our thumb and hand.

For something that will only ever live again in science fiction, I think it's sufficient to ignore science in favor of artistic direction and sanity every once in a while.

I do think that the T-Rex looks more natural with the frontal nostrils, though.

Here's another thing... We illustrate the T-Rex as having a big toothy mouth that's typically open to show off the teeth, but for all we know, he had big lips like we have... Or perhaps he had 'chops' like a lot of dogs have. We illustrate him as having 'holes' for ears like other reptiles, but he isn't exactly a reptile now, is he. For all we know, he could have had ears like a basset hound and pink skin. If you look at a human skeleton, experts will be able to tell you in great detail the life of the human. We're not quite that advanced with dinosaurs, so perhaps much like today's humans, the T-Rex at a time was overweight?

bobzilla
10-13-2004, 01:42 AM
Matoboy: I've been thinking the same thing! The original JP still has the most realistic dinos I have ever seen. I figured by now they would look like puppets on strings!!

As far as the big "what did it look like" debate, yes a lot is conjecture, but there are quite a few knowns, and you can start with those and add your artistic embellishments.

The absolute ONLY crit I would give Adrian's T-rex is that it looks more like the JP T-rex than just a generic, original, T-rex.

Nostril placement: Probably closer to the end of the snout.

Scav/Pred: Most likely both. Would you rather go to the store, buy chop meat, drive home, make a burger and cook it, or show up at a BBQ and grab one off the grill? He could easily scare smaller predators off a kill and grab it and take it back for a "family feast."

Probably used it's head and huge jaws to deal a fatal blow to its prey. Hands were reduce in size to allow the head to grow larger. Too much at the front end and he would tip over. Might have even had a bacteria laden saliva similar to a Komodo lizard. One bite, wait for prey to die, go grab it.

OK. I've gone WAY off topic hear! Yes...I'm also a dino nut... :bounce:

madness2045
10-13-2004, 02:27 AM
hey, awesome work...always loved dinos too...couldnt do that, at least not yet.
keep it up!
:thumbsup:

Matt
10-13-2004, 03:21 AM
As far as the big "what did it look like" debate, yes a lot is conjecture, but there are quite a few knowns, and you can start with those and add your artistic embellishments.

The only knowns are the bones. :)

(I guess footprints too, but I like my above phrase better.)

People once knew the world was flat and everything revolved around it. We now know that not to be true. Perhaps our factual information on this will look ridiculous yet again in a few hundred years?

ngarte
10-13-2004, 05:32 AM
Allo Adrian,

Well done... that is one hell of a texturing and modeling job.... Great work! Waiting to see more stuffs from you.

adrian ng...

LucentDreams
10-13-2004, 06:00 AM
If you consider the top speed of 30 miles an hour, the small front paws that can't grab anything then he wouldnt be a good predator. Unlike the allosaurus with his bigger claws and higher speed, the t-rex wpuldnt kill alot. most of the dino's are faster then him and a fall because of a stegasuarus would be fatal to him, he simply can't get back up when he is on his side. He would starve to death or be eaten when he gets weaker.

it all makes alot more sence then the "king of predators" title everyone has given to him because of his huge teath. (that would make more sence on a scavengers head that wants to eat) A scavenger needs big sharp teath to eat, dino's can't hunt with teath only. You need big sharp claws to grab the other dino that might resist, or huge slashing claws to rip open skin, teath only is a huge limit.

actually 30 miles/hour isnt all that slow for all carnosaurs, though a slow speed when compared to smaller carnivores like raptors, trex had massive biting force and strong neck ligaments which could've helped in lunging and catching prey. also theres no possible way a trex could have been killed by a stegosaurus because they lived about 70 million years apart. though trex probably wouldve rather scavenged then catch and kill its own prey sort of like how a hyena is the ruleing scavenger at a kill, but like it was said before it all depends which scientists theory u believe

excellent dino u r my god

LucentDreams
10-13-2004, 06:26 AM
now look you made my gf go all nuts ;) She loves dinosaurs.

I'll also point out the strength of his jaws and power in his thighs were deigned for lunging along with short arms to not intrued with reachin his target which was the preys neck. One bite on most preys neck crush then neck immobilizing the victim. Thats why many herbivoires of that time had larke bone crowns to protect the neck from such attacks.

Fantastic piece of work, sorry if I missed it already thiscomputers horrible with cgtalk, how much of the detail is displacement maps?

OZ
10-13-2004, 07:58 AM
WELL DONE!..just to crit. one thing....^_^...the skin looks a bit too dry to me.

phoenix
10-13-2004, 09:13 AM
very nice work

ufotung
10-13-2004, 09:50 AM
movie quality , great work ~
hope to see more ~

Argannath
10-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Hey, truly nice work....

But the only thing buzzing for me is the tail.. Shouldnt it be longer, the T - Rex would be on his face in the mud i think with this tail ;)

shserge
10-13-2004, 11:29 AM
I like the whole picture, but especially the forest! Great textured dino :thumbsup:

EVIL
10-13-2004, 01:22 PM
also theres no possible way a trex could have been killed by a stegosaurus because they lived about 70 million years apart. though trex probably wouldve rather scavenged then catch and kill its own prey sort of like how a hyena is the ruleing scavenger at a kill, but like it was said before it all depends which scientists theory u believe
I used the stegosaurus thing as an example that defensive herbivores can be a big threath to carnivores like t-rex

And I like the hyena idea. I just dont like the way some people picture the t-rex as the king of killers. The perfect killing dino is the dynochius imo.., compact strong creature that might have hunted in packs with a big slashing claw on both paws and big strong grabbing arms with razor sharp claws and smaller saw like teeth.

Assaultor
10-13-2004, 01:37 PM
oh man...absolutely top notch...like the head parts and the background most. :P

so what is the next project going to be shown?
waiting for more excellent work...cheers... :)

rmsmedia
10-13-2004, 01:56 PM
This is so beautiful, I love the pose and composition of the image, the modeling is superb and the texturing as well. Only one thing I would look for is more specular on his skin, he feels very very dry...depending on what kind of reptile you're looking it could be dead on. Anyhow, amazing work!

AdrianCher
10-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi guys, looks like were having quite an interesting debate here abt T-rex.:thumbsup:

Well, firstly, as to why till today, JP has the most convincing dinos? B'cos they are Real! Stan Winston built them Full size. What we see is real interaction with lights, smoke and all..Only abt 10mins of the entire JP is CG including the T-rex Finale. To achieve that kind of realism with our desktops is possible, but it'll take forever to render.:)

T-rex, hunter or scavenger? I'd like to think more a predator..cos firstly it's bipedal and has Binocular vision, secondly, it's evolution of a predator at it's peak. Trex appeared in the Cretaceous period, 75mil years ago, when the end for the dinos came. Nature will never design a creature to be clumsy or a threat to itself, it updates it's designs to suit the conditions. And i don't think nature would create a 40ft scavenger, scavengers are usually small and agile.

An elephant is by no means clumsy or slow, we've seen what they can do at the circus.:) It's able to sneak up behind you in a thick forest without you even knowing it's there. How? Cos, it walks on its toes! Who would think the elephant was clever, really fast, able to walk a plank, or tip-toe by looking at its bones 75mil years from now?:thumbsup:

So i think it's safe to say, we don't know..

Anyway, for those who asked abt where i got blueprints etc..
My Tyrannosaur is based on the remains of 'Sue', a complete female Trex almost 40ft long currently owned by McDonalds Corp. The face is modelled after Stan Winstons JP Trex.

Cheers and again Thanks for the crits!

Papa Lazarou
10-13-2004, 02:07 PM
No offense Evil, but I think anybody who saw Jurassic Park is well aware of the predatory potential of dromeosaurs. Of course there's also similar evidence that Tyrannosaurs may have hunted in groups. Having a "king of killers" dinosaur is just for kids really.

bobzilla
10-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Getting back to the actual piece...

Adrian, how did you layout out your UVs? I seem (or seam!) to spend a tremedous amount of time laying them out, and they still aren't quite right. I'm working on dinos, also and there are lots of nooks and crannies to get around. Always getting seems.

I'm using C4D and BodyPaint. And I know it's not the software, it's just me not being able to work it out.

Thanks...

AdrianCher
10-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Hi Bobzilla,
I've still got a couple of seams, but try cloning the texture where they meet. As you can see, we have not much of a choice around the arms and legs.
Here's one side of the uvw's, notice that most of the sculpting is done really by the muscles and displacement. My mesh is more like a skin actually.:)

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~matrox/UVW_web.jpg

Cheers.

bobzilla
10-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Wow! Pretty simple layout. I guess you planar map everything?

Thanks again for all the info. Your work has been inspiring to a fellow dinofile. :applause:

Matt
10-13-2004, 08:04 PM
You've welded the sides together... OUCH!

Well, there goes all hope for normal maps.

AdrianCher
10-13-2004, 10:14 PM
The reason you unwrap uvw's is to allow you to 'planar' map.:)
There's no problem at all with normal maps.
Why do you think so?

Gangstashers
10-13-2004, 10:48 PM
When is the animation coming up?

Matt
10-14-2004, 10:28 AM
The reason you unwrap uvw's is to allow you to 'planar' map.:)
There's no problem at all with normal maps.
Why do you think so?

You've got both sides of many objects mapped and mirrored... So, for the main body, or the leg for example, instead of having two of the same thing, you've dropped it on top of the other and welded it, essentially mirroring the texture. It's a quick way to get things done, and I'm sure you probably never thought of doing a low poly version with a normal map, but since I'm a game art guy, I always love dropping things down to the lowest and getting the same results with a normal from the high version.

So, if you wanted to make a low poly version of this, with normal maps, you'd have to re-unwrap whole thing, unless you wanted the same exact shadows to display on both sides.

The same goes for displacement maps. That's the latest craze... If you wanted to render 100 of these bad boys at once, it'd be way easier for you to set up the animation and work in a large scene if you had a bunch of lower poly versions with a displacement map.

AdrianCher
10-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Max 7 has normal mapping, this should be good news to Maxers.:)
The new TurboSmooth is said to be 30 times faster than the current one!:thumbsup:

Hey,Matt..thanks for the info. My uvw's aren't mirrored, so no problem. I just cropped and posted one side of it.

I'll keep you guys posted as to when the animation will be ready. It's a project i've been working on in between my production schedule.. now back in the Army reserves, every year, abt 1 month is spent serving the country...till 40 years old!:eek:

Cheers.

lucifer-x
10-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Freaking Awesome Texturing!

AJE
10-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Adrian, this is inspiring. I got into 3D because of Jurassic Park, and this reminds me of why I love 3D so much.

Thanks for reminding me of what it felt like watching JP.

Cheers.

cserbuj
10-15-2004, 07:59 AM
wonderful!!! AMAZING. I will wait to see an animation.....I seem like Jurassic Park exactly

Great modeling, textures too.
Renders like this one inspire me to go on, and learn more.

Tilstrom
10-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Excellent job dude, really well done. :beer:

techart
10-18-2004, 11:41 AM
cool work man..from modeling texturing at rendering...awesome...cheers

LowJack_Jones
10-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Excellent work! Looks like a really good setup for animation (like so many others - I canít wait to see!) One crit: The mouth area needs to look wet.

Cheers,

LJ

Speaker
10-19-2004, 12:25 AM
super cool t-rex! my only crits are nothing that hasn't been said before. i think he looks plenty fierce too. not sure what the other post was seeing...though, lizards creep me out pretty well anyway...

digitalimagery
10-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Beautiful work, has anyone commented about adding some moisture to the mouth? (kidding). Yes I agree, a shiney tongue and maybe some saliva dripping off the teeth or flying off to suggest the turn of the head (it would add motion to the still). One other thing that helps add size would be to maybe have a bird or two flying by the head as if they caught his (her?) attention. They would give him scale and really show the size of these monsters.

We're all just nit picking though you've done a beautiful job on the hard parts.

Yan3D
10-20-2004, 05:19 PM
The T-Rex looks very realistic and the environment too.
Specially I like the head very much! because it looks like that one in Jurassic Park.
The low point of view adds a touch very impressive to the scene.

leho
10-20-2004, 05:35 PM
wow dude. can't wait to see this thing animated

Trog
10-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Hey Adrian,

Beautiful!, thanks for sharing this with us. Both the dino and the environment are fantastic.

APD-Jack
10-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Adrian!
I don't like dinos much but, that's nice work..... And i don't use max but, that's nice work again..... I like yor T-Rex, especially after seeing your later posts for explain others how you made it. Wires, rigs were awsome. I've made a few organic model too but, i've never take this work as serious as you. Congratulations for your discipline.
Keep good working
Thanks

mmiller
10-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Nice looking t-rex
I read in the last few days that some recent discoveries indicate that they might actualy have been covered with feathers.
I don't know, but I bet nobody has created a good visual for it yet.

might be cool .... would definitly be different :)

"Early Bird" indeed

Ali Imran Zaidi
10-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Hi,
I think your modeling is quite good.
Lighting and texturing is fine.........No critics on it, but my friend Vijay Kumar make a fine critic on it "It must be some sliva on her mouth".

I think he is right......
but the environment is excellent. :thumbsup:

keesen
10-24-2004, 05:03 AM
Great WORK!!! Superb good in lighting and mapping! For me, i would prefer some details of sliver.

OsiriO
10-25-2004, 07:52 AM
what about those Muscle Deformation. Where can I find more about them.

GREAT WORK

ClausSimonsen
10-27-2004, 10:04 PM
I must say, as everyone else has overstated again and again that your model is most impressive. I would, however, like to offer some constructive criticism if I may. Now I'm by no means an expert at Max, but I can draw. And I am a dinosaur fanatic and a wildlife fanatic as well. The thing I wanted to point out most that no one else seems to have noticed is that your rex's foot seems very much like a bent sausage rather than a foot. It is lacking some structure in those toes! Here is a conglomeration of reference images I put together for you: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/Vizon/Reference/RexReference.jpg
I point out the toes in the image because the last T-rex skeleton I found had one toe smaller than the others and I found this most interesting. I'm uncertain it is the same with other skeletons, however. I hope this helps you.

Next, there has been some dispute over T-rex being predator or scavenger. This has been an ongoing debate for some time (began by Jack Horner), but I have to agree with those who said he was likely both because no predator turns down a free meal, and only vultures are solely scavengers (built small and light to flee fast). Lions are actually very much the scavengers, and often steal hyenas' prey using their size to muscle the smaller predators out of the way. Also I think that comparing deinonychus to a T-rex is like comparing a cheetah to a grizzly. Sure grizzlies are bulky and large and definitely slower, but they don't let that get them down (they favor the young calves that are easy to catch) and the polar bear - it's an exclusive carnivore but it does not have to run to bring down prey - it waits. As do crocodiles (which happen to be one of the most dinosaur-like living animals) who incidently do not need to use their claws to bring down their prey. So it might be a good idea to keep him well-camoflaged, and actually, giving your T-rex old blood on his head isn't a bad idea. Also, white teeth are not so very unlikely as Mtyrannosaurs grew and shed their teeth on a regular basis like crocodiles do today. Older, larger teeth should be more yellowed, and young, newly growing teeth should be whiter (like this crocodile: http://www.nature-wildlife.com/9tooth85.jpg )

And Mmiller - feathered dinos are not underillustrated. Check out Luis V. Rey! He's got some very extreme ideas! http://www.luisrey.ndtilda.co.uk/ Heck, if you're using modern day birds as reference for theropods - the closest birds are the earth-bound types (ostriches, emus, cassowaries, kiwis) who for the most part have more fur-like pinfeathers. An algae-gathering coat of protofeathers would be most interesting to see on a rex! And might even aid in disguising him. Who knows?

attila
10-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Very nice rendering! I think the mouse of the T-Rex should be more wet!

Skyraider3D
10-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Great comments, Vizon! :thumbsup: Quite interesting too.

bobzilla
10-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Vizon: Great comments. I've also been working on some dinos. Worked off of Greg Paul skeletal/silhouette drawings. Not to hijack this thread, but would you mind taking a look at them?

Just click the link in my sig and head to the 3D Playground area.

Thanks...

nelll
11-02-2004, 10:31 AM
you are ready for the next jurassic park!

opera
11-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi,

Very , very good job !!!

I think , you should add some dirt on the teeth ( mouth )
He's eating grass or flesh for years ( your T-rex looks like an adult),then he must have yellow teeth or a bit dirty.

I will put a bit of read flesh ( mixed with the pink ) in the mouth.
and bit of reflection or specular to give the look of a wet mouth or thongue.

Or maybe add a scare on the leg or some details - to show that your T-Rex is living in an hostile environnement. ( don't forget that CG look too clean..)

Again perfect job !!

lhvio89
11-28-2004, 02:49 PM
This is really great work. The background is wonderful, the textures are superb, and the render is amazing. The only crit, which I think has been stated before, is the textures in the mouth. They appear a little too smooth, and "simple" i guuess. Other wise though, this is really really nice!:thumbsup:

Filmguy
12-16-2004, 03:01 PM
any updates? possibly animation?

AIR
12-28-2004, 11:07 AM
The model is incredible,im thinking of making one dinosaur my self,not sure which specie.
I like carnivore dinosaurs,you did great job with ambience on first pic.
Keep it up!

SirRobert
02-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Geat work on the dino something out of Jurassic Park!!!

Jeroen
02-18-2005, 08:44 AM
it still isnít right yet, The T-rex has a tale what stops him from falling. He has to much weight in front of him and to little at the back (his tale) so my guess is that he will collapse.

Just take a look at Jurassic park when he attacks a group of dinosaurs or in the end with the raptors. Their you'll see that his weight is in balance.

floclau
10-26-2005, 09:37 PM
verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry impresive, realistic, not that ive ever seen a t-rex in real life :) but still

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2005, 09:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.