PDA

View Full Version : UV Bump Map problems...

Serif
10-08-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm working on the wheels to my McLaren F1 and have finally got around to adding the tread. I created a seamless bump map in Photoshop and applied it to my UV map of the tread surface.

I feel like I am losing my mind over this "problem". As a test, I go into layout and begin tweaking the bump values. The problem is that my map is not creating the bumps I designed, but rather bumps (and jagged ones at that) of outlines. See the photos for reference. I expect the black areas to make a depression, but I am getting only outlines... of some sort. It could be either an outlike of the gray or black area.... I don't know.

For what it's worth, this error occues both in fPrime and LW's native renderer. I have adjusted the bump map and all bump settings. I'm out of ideas.

http://www.cghaus.com/misc/ref/tirebumperror.jpg

http://www.cghaus.com/misc/ref/tire_tread_bump.jpg

leigh
10-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Heh no that isn't an error. It only looks like outlines because the white areas are being raised. That bump map is acting exactly the way I would expect it to :) You should also never use Texture Amplitude values over 5, as it looks a bit strained. If you need the tread to look that strong, you should model the actual detail or consider using displacement (although LightWave has very poor displacement mapping).

Serif
10-08-2004, 03:35 PM
I guess my expectations were that I would get a really nice noticable geometry deformation. I think you're right... perhaps I need to model the tread. I want to be able to come in close with the camera and see some serious tread. As for the sidewalls... those can probably be bumped.

Triple G
10-08-2004, 07:45 PM
If you make your white areas 50% grey (128 128 128), I think you should get results closer to what you're expecting.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.