PDA

View Full Version : Sanning for PowerPoint/PDF/DVD

bobzilla
10-08-2004, 01:21 PM
I have a client who wants to document years of photographs into a PowerPoint, PDF or DVD "album". He's got tons of photos that will have to be scanned. What's the best way to go about scanning them all so they will be usable in any of the three mediums?

No matter how I scan, they're all going to need quite a bit of work in Photoshop, but I don't want to scan them all more than once, if possible.

They're all 3x5, 4x5, etc. No transparencies.

Thanks in advance...

Totoro
10-08-2004, 04:27 PM
I think .jpeg or .tiff files are good enough.

bobzilla
10-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Anybody have any tips on color or qualirty? I'm used to working in print, so RGB screen representations are a little new to me. I've done web stuff, but usually not photographic images.

JohnnyRandom
10-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Its always better to scan bigger and then resize as necessary. Its alot easier to make your images smaller than it is to make them larger (it can be done but with varying results). So if you only want to scan them once go big... picture size @ 300 dpi at least.

If your client has any plans to every print any of them you want want to consider at least keeping them at there original size @ 300 dpi. If not 72 ppi should suffice. Same goes with the color profile if any are planned to be printed you may want to keep them in CMYK, if not rgb is fine.

A 3x5 at 300 dpi would translate to 900x1500 ppi @ 300 dpi @ around 4 meg. uncompressed.
or 12.5"x20.9" @ 72 dpi

NTSC (Standard Def. TV) standard runs @ 720x480 non-square pixels (0.9)

If you just going to do PC based presentations you should think of the average monitor res. being 1024x768 @ 72 ppi square pixels, for an image size. A 3x5 would be kinda funky size @ 1024X614 and a 4x6 would be 1024x683, also must take into account the browser size, sliders,ect.

bobzilla
10-08-2004, 07:15 PM
dizzl8r: Thanks VERY much for all the info.

We've actually scnned them sll for a book, but usually rezzing down from 300dpi looks pretty bad. Usually looks better to just atart at 72dpi if that's what's needed.

I'll keep all those other stipulations under consideration. I'm still not sure what he wants to view it on. I'm pushing for the DVD on a TV rather than PP or Acrobat on a PC.

Thanks again...

JohnnyRandom
10-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey noworries m8

but usually rezzing down from 300dpi looks pretty bad. Usually looks better to just atart at 72dpi if that's what's needed.
Sometimes for better results when downsizing an image you can choose "BiCubic Smoother" from the image size dialog.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.