PDA

View Full Version : Surface Baker Problem

CaptRuss
10-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Well, its been over a year since the last time I was baking illumination into a model, and I must be forgetting something (even though I've poured over my notes)

Basically, even with "Bake entire object"....it does not, I can only ever get the surface whose UV map is selected to bake.

tried it several times over, and I even went back to LW7.5 and got the same result!

So, it must be something i'm missing or have forgotton since days gone by.

Can someone jog my memory?

Thanks

yog
10-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Surface Baker will only bake a surface if it can see a portion of it in the final render. If you are zoomed in close to just the one surface, that is the only one that will get baked.

Also SB will only bake polygons with either 3 or four vertices (I can't immediately remeber which), so polygons with more vertices wont be baked, which is a real pain for architectural work with odd shaped floorplans.
The way around this second problem is to set out your UV's with your multi-vertex polygons as you would do normally, then save. Next tripple all your polygons, send it to Layout via the Hub, bake and save the texture map. Back in Modeler press undo to get all your odd shaped polygons back and apply the texture map with your old UV co-ordinates.

CaptRuss
10-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Right, the object is entirely within view. Its a wheel, and the camera can see at least a few polys of every surface on it.

No n-gons, all >4 are trippled, the rest are quads.

and the problem remains.
*edit*

Oh, hmm, actually, do I have to run a seperate instance of baker for each UV map?
IE "bake entire" will bake all surfaces onto the selected UV map?

if this is the case, how did I forget this?
Ay carumba

gameboy
12-25-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm having the same problem. It seems as if Surface Baker has somehow become 'broken' with Lightwave 8. :scream: :shrug:

I'm hoping the imminent 8.2 release will fix the problem. :hmm:

leigh
12-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Surface Baker bakes according to maps. How else it is supposed to lay out the resulting image? :)

gameboy
12-28-2004, 07:13 PM
Leigh, I think what we're all saying is that Lightwave 8 at the present does not bake its output correctly to a texture file, based on the UV map assigned to a model, when it is told to do so. The resulting output texture file should contain colored polygons laid out in a manner that corresponds to the UV map assigned to the model. Surface Baker now for some reason seems to ignore the settings for the UV map assigned to the model, and just renders an image that matches the current camera view. :sad:

leigh
12-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Well that's strange... when I was writing my texturing book I was using LightWave 8 and I don't recall having that problem when I did the section on Surface Baker :surprised

gameboy
12-30-2004, 05:07 PM
Leigh, I've got your book (it's good :) ), but I think Surface Baker may have become broken in the 8.0.1 release. :sad: I was able to render out a UV map in version 7.5 before I upgraded to 8.0.1, but not in the current release. I'll wait and see if this problem is resolved in version 8.2.

Has anyone out there been able to render a UV texture map to a file in version 8.0.1?

leigh
12-31-2004, 02:05 AM
Glad you like my book :) Hmm well that is strange that the release broke the plugin! Very bizarre. I wonder if this has been brought to NewTeks attention??

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.