PDA

View Full Version : Interior lighting without radiosity?

xibarrum
10-08-2004, 05:01 AM
I'm an interior designer. I have tried to use radiosity, but I get all sorts of disappointing results.
So I would like to ask for suggestions on how to fake radiosity. My main difficulty is to get even illumination of walls and ceilings (they tend to be too dark, or blotchy, or to lack depth).
I am a registered LW 7.5 user. I read the manuals, plus a lot of literature and I also surfed a lot of forums, but as a beginner I mostly don't understand some issues that are discussed there.
I have no other possibility than to ask for help.
Does anyone know any suggestions and/or plug-ins that could help me achieve decent results in lighting my scenes? Mostly I work with daylight situations, so all those tricks with zillions of area lights and other lights in the room only give me very artificial images...
I would be very grateful for any help. I know I'm asking for a lot, but maybe there are some charitable souls out there that are willing to help me?
Thanks a lot!

Sofia

wizlon
10-08-2004, 03:35 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155836

Try this link, to get you started.

mocaw
10-08-2004, 04:00 PM
I strongly suggest you give Fprime a look if you have the money. It can make learning how to light things much easier (www.worley.com). It really has helped me set up scenes to fake radiosity, and even do many radiosity renders. It will also help in the over all setup of your scene, including texturing.

MattClary
10-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Amen, Mocaw. F-Prime will allow you to teach yourself how to do radiosity renderings, because you will see the updates immediately rather than having to hit F9 and wait 10 minutes. Some of the best money I ever spent.

IronGoblin
10-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Howdy..

Im not sure if this helps, but you can get really good lighting using radiosity (without using a lot of lightsources). But you have to be a bit patient for the final render. fPrime is a good suggestion, as it will save you lots of time making previews.

So if you wanna give radiosity another shot, you should check out this thread. Helped me a lot.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=169545

Keep on truckin'

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.