PDA

View Full Version : Pc powering off when in dual channel mode.

digital_red
10-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Why does my PC power off when in dual channel mode? Ive got two sticks of 512mb corsair RAM. If I put the sticks in Dimm slot 1 and 3 to get dual channel mode the PC powers off when using 3d apps or resource hungry games. Ive had the processor, board and RAM replaced for this problem already. Ive changed the GPU and PSU but still no luck. If i put the sticks in slot 1 and 2 it runs stable as a rock. Ive tested the RAM which had no errors. It runs fine without dual channel mode but I feel I'm missing performance without dual mode and I don't want to sent the lot back again. Any Ideas? What if I want to add more RAM in the future?

My system:
P4 3.0ghz Prescott
MSI 865PE Neo2
2x 512mb Corsair DDR Value Select 3200
Win 2000pro SP4

singularity2006
10-07-2004, 10:46 PM
have u checked your temperatures? I think running dual channel will produce more heat internally on the system and cause a power down.

digital_red
10-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Temp sits at around 50-51 deg. Ive got plenty of fans and free airflow through the system. It only does it when the graphics and the CPU are being pushed.

singularity2006
10-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Have u adjusted any of your RAM timings? Sometimes if the timings are too aggressive, it won't work well when they are being pushed. Similarly, it might be a physical defect of the board when it's pushing its limits. It might even be a bad chipset.

digital_red
10-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Havent touched any of the RAM timings. Everythings on defaults. I've allready had the Board, RAM and CPU changed. Whats the chances of both boards having the same fault? Unless its a mass manufacturing problem.

imashination
10-07-2004, 11:58 PM
have u checked your temperatures? I think running dual channel will produce more heat internally on the system and cause a power down.

Running in dual channel mode will not cause more heat.

singularity2006
10-08-2004, 12:18 AM
imash: Thanks for clearing up the heat thing. I don't use dual channel so wasn't sure about it.

Anyway, how did u test your RAM? memtest86? Did u test it in both dual channel and non dual channel mode?

lots
10-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Even if the timings are on default, you should go back and make sure they're not too tight, make sure they're set to what the ram was designed for, and that the FSB settings are all correct. Generally running ram in dual channel is more sensitive to timings and FSB speeds than when you run in single channel. Another thing to think about is your PSU, what's the rating on the thing? Who makes it? And what kind of video card is in your system (hey, those eat power up ;))?

digital_red
10-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Here are the timings from the BIOS

CPU Bus Clock: 200 mhz
DDR clock: 400 mhz

cas latency: 2.5 clocks
ras precharge: 3 clocks
ras to cas delay: 3 clocks
precharge delay 8 clocks
burst length: 8

using a Q-tec 400 watt dual fan gold PSU
Gainward Geforce FX 5500 AGP 256mb

are those settings normal?
I know its not overclocked so it should beable to handle anything i throw at it. My old P3 733mhz could.

lots
10-14-2004, 04:12 PM
You should also check if one of the sticks is bad. Just try one at a time see if that works.. Another thing to try would be to set the cas latancy to 3.. Were these sticks bought as a pair or did you buy individual sticks?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.