PDA

View Full Version : Boolean Problems

GKED
10-07-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm trying to use boolean subtraction to remove the centre of an 'O' from a logo, because when i imported the EPS from Illustrator it fills in all the letters.

When i click 'OK' in the Boolean menu after selecting 'subtraction', it comes up with the error...

'internal buffers too small for requested operation'

Have read another thread about this problem and it says to...

'subdevide the polygons'

If this is the case how is this done? As u might of guessed i have a very basic knowledge at the moment!!

Is there a simple fix?

Cheers

Para
10-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Slice up the bigger ngons to smaller ones (knife tool will do fine) or turn them into triangles. Both ways work.

GKED
10-07-2004, 02:10 PM
cheers, but how exactly sure what you mean?
Can you cut out sections of an imported EPS while it is still 2D? If so how?

I'm sorry for being thick. I haven't been using LW long.

roguenroll
10-07-2004, 02:14 PM
also in more detailed cases, people freeze the main shape when their satisfied, then booleans are alot more succesful, things like small window down the side of a spaceship. but make sure your done modelling on the main part, at that point.

sgiuoco2
10-07-2004, 03:19 PM
The problem may lie in the way you are importing the file.

You are using EPSF Loader:
In the options, are you using Super Fine? Do you really need it that high. Try using a step below what you originally used so that way it will create the logo with less points.

OK after that, it seems like you are using the wrong tools to subtract a hole from your letters. Boolean is mostly used for 3-Dimensional shapes; you are working with a 2-Dimensional shape when you import it.

This is what you need to do.
1. Select all of the polygons that are the holes of the letters.
2. Cut and Paste them into an empty layer.
3. Select your Layer with the text, and reference the layer with the hole polygons.
4. Choose Drill from the Construct Tab
5. Select the option Tunnel and the axis you would like to Tunnel into. Example if your objects are in the Back viewport you will tunnel in the Z-Axis because you are looking through that axis in the Back viewport.
6. Click OK and you should be fine. Make sure you delete the holes layer because you don't need it any more.

After that then you want to extrude and bevel your shapes to get the "Logo Look".

Hope that helps.

Serif
10-07-2004, 07:21 PM
copy the center of that O to another layer and stencil it out of the original layer. I learned this technique from Rich Helvey, Access Hollywood.

kangonto
10-07-2004, 10:04 PM
'internal buffers too small for requested operation'

This error occurs a lot more than in previous version of LW (i think it doesn't appear at all in 7.5). Why? If i close Modeler and run it again and try to do the same operation i don't get the same error again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.