10-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

this is my first post here ,Please give me any critics to improve my skills
Thanks

http://www.cg-studio.com/images/45.jpghttp://www.cg-studio.com/images/side.jpg
http://www.cg-studio.com/images/top.jpg

swardson
10-10-2004, 05:46 AM
well I think you have a really good looking style going. my only crit is that I would be deathly afraid of rendering that model because of how many polys it has. I would say use this design to start a remodel by starting low res and working up to a hi res that is atleast 1/3 that many polys. nice design though.

-Brad

aruba
10-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks for comment, i will try to work on low poly one

5parts
10-10-2004, 05:27 PM
what soft did you use for this? It looks like zbrush, which shouldnt have too much trouble rendering all those polys. but you still have polys which "arent being used" (they dont help define the shape of the mesh)(you could delete them, and the mesh's shape would remain the same) now depending on how you started the model (primitive or zsphres) there are different ways to go about reducing your model.
If the model is issued from a more "standard" 3d package, then yes, worry about polys.
you could very well get away with removing a whole lot of polys off the horns, it looks as though a single horn has more polys then the snout alone.

The more i look at the image, the more im convinced it was zbrushed, but, prove me wrong :)
other then that, if you want more modeling specific crits, tell us what software you used for this image

5parts

IkerCLoN
10-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Yeah, sure it's Zbrush... First of all, ask yourself if you need that quantity of polys to achieve the result you want. This works not only for this model but for all your 3d work.

Be sure to draw some rough sketches to clarify your ideas before modelling. It works for new users and for talented too. It's easy to lose time on an area, changing the mesh every 5 minutes, and beeing disconformed with what you're doing. So it's useful to have those sketches as reference :)

And about this model... well, there is not any photo of a dragon, so I'm not able to tell you that your model "do not look like a dragon". But try to look for a more reptilish shape. Internet is full of pictures of "traditional european dragons", chinese dragons, crocodiles and reptilians in general. So make use of them ;)

Cheers!

aruba
10-26-2004, 05:10 AM
yes it is using zbrush 2.0

Goon
10-26-2004, 04:44 PM
You seem to have started with a sphere and just deformed it from there. This is probably one of the first models you've ever made, so its definitely not bad, but as I'm sure you are aware, it can also get much better.

One of the problems that you are having is that a sphere has no inherant useful toptology for a complex organic model. The direction polygons flow does matter for zbrush sculpting.

Also, starting with a base mesh which is fairly close to the desired finished product in overall shape prevents oddities like having only a few stretched polygons for the snout and thousands of wasted polys throughout the rest of the head.

So for your next model, what I would suggest is learning zspheres and using them to rough out a base mesh.

Following that you might want to investigate using another application such as wings3d or Silo to rework the topology of your model prior to the final sculpture.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.