PDA

View Full Version : ClothFX settings for Sas long hair guides?

stompbox
10-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Hi!
Does anyone have saved ClothFX settings for Sas long hair guides which they could share? Or tips? I'm getting closer, the hair is a short bob, but I'll take what I can get, longer hair settings or whatever I can use to learn from.

The attached scene has collision object with collisionFX set up but no settings, and same deal with hair guides and clothFX. (Head geometry not needed here, I just want to get it to work.) But before I play with the settings, I need to do a few steps first. Do I parent the hair guides to the collision object? That doesn't seem to work right. Do I fix the root surface in clothFX? Do I do both, then use certain settings, and it will all work?

I'm kind of lost as to what's the next step. Any guidance hugely appreciated. http://www.spinquad.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

adrencg
10-07-2004, 04:03 PM
For one thing, I couldn't get your hair object to scan with a ClothFX calculation....

This is a very difficult thing to do, given that its hard to make a guide object which will work well as a cloth FX object and draw good Sasquatch hairs.

You should definitely use CurvePolyChain.p to make your guides. This will create 1 point polys with a "root" surface for drawing the hairs. ClothFx fixing should be done with a weight, so its excluded from the Sasquatch settings.

Make the "fix" weight about 1/3 of the top of your hair guides, and towards the back, it should be further down. This way you'll get more bang swing in the front. Use the "cotton thin" preset as a starting point. Set your stretch limit to less than 1, or the hair will flow downwards quite far.

You can also use a poly object with the same approxiamte shape as the hair guides as the ClothFX object(which seems to work better than polychains), and then parent your guide object to it. Then turn on FX_Metalink and the Cloth poly object will drive the movement of the guides. It may look cleaner, except you won't get that natural looking overlap of fibers as the hair moves. One problem with hair guides and Dynamics is that they tend to fly around way too much, and are very had to control. they also tend to buckle up and twist around.

I still prefer to use a UV mapped hair object. It doesn't look as real, but it doesn't come with all of the lighting hassles that Sasquatch brings to the table.

Mike

stompbox
10-10-2004, 05:14 AM
Thanks Mike!
I REALLY appreciate the tips, and with your help I have managed to take a few baby steps forward with this. :)

I got close to happy with the setup, see Big_Head attachment (which also has FX settings saved out seperately) the hair movement is not perfect but I'm getting there. Would probably tweak root size next etc.

Anyway I realised the head is far too large, over a meter wide, so I scaled down in Modeler and started the scene over. See Small_Head attachment. NOTE: don't hit calculate on small_head scene with current settings, it locks up my machine. I have tweaked and tweaked the FX settings on the Small_head scene and I'm not making progress. The Big_head scene is nearly there, but useless as the scale's all wrong on the objects and I want real-world scale ultimately.

Any ideas? I'm going crazy! haha :)

Celshader
10-10-2004, 07:45 PM
I haven't looked at the files yet, but here's my #1 tip for animating wigs of Sas guides:

Animate with a stand-in; use MetaLink to play back the stand-in on the Sas guides. 2-point polygons can't self-collide, so you can't use ClothFX on them directly if you want the hair to act as though it's moving as a mass.

Examples of using dynamics on a stand-in object:
http://www.celshader.com/gallery/md/sastest01a.mov
http://www.celshader.com/gallery/md/curly02d.mov

stompbox
10-11-2004, 04:33 AM
Yes Celshader I am using clothFX on a stand-in object, metalinked to the hair guides.
Thanks! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.