PDA

View Full Version : Basic TV-tuner inquiry

javierdl
10-07-2004, 04:32 AM
Can anyone say if it is necessary to have cabletv to use a tv-tuner card?
If not, will the reception be descent enough?

thanks,

DPC

singularity2006
10-07-2004, 04:47 AM
nope, the same cable connector can be used to connect to a TV antenna.

stephen2002
10-07-2004, 12:08 PM
You don't need cable. Reception varies on different cards but for the most part the reception is as good as any TV you have plugged into the same antenna. However you'll notice that the computer verson looks like crap while the TV version looks ok, this will be because the TV signal is only 720x480 and when you throw whatever interference onto that it's more like 320x240.

javierdl
10-09-2004, 02:49 AM
Oh no! That's very dissapointing to hear :(
Is this for every card? Or some are above this low resolution problem? Or is there some kind of adaptor kind of thing one can add to improve this?
I was actually thinking of literally replacing my Tv with this tv tunner card (for mere convenience).
I suppose that whatever you capture with it is just as crappy, is it?

thanks guys,

DPC

-Vormav-
10-09-2004, 03:11 AM
It's pretty much the same for every card. Maybe when HDTV becomes more widespread it'll go away, but for now I think you'll pretty much be limited to low resolution (and this is the same resolution for capturing).
But it really isn't quite as bad as it might sound. If you have a decent connection without much static, it can look pretty nice on a computer screen. Not quite as good as a TV, but good enough.

stephen2002
10-09-2004, 02:29 PM
If you were to sit infront of your TV at the same range as the computer monitor you would notice how low-res the material actually is. When you view a computer monitor with a TV image from across the room it will generally look just as good as your TV.

I personally use a FusionHDTV II for both analog cable and OTA digital, the HD is really nice stuff :)

javierdl
10-10-2004, 06:32 AM
Someone is offering me an Aitech tv tuner (I ignore the model as of now) for $25 CAD, w/out remote. And someone else an ATI TV Wonder VE Tuner, also no remote, for $50 CAD.
Does anyone know if the Wonder VE is worth the extra $25?

Thanks,

DPC

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.