PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy and Scale

CTRL+X
10-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Hi
Using PS CS

Is there a way,, or,, is there a plugin that will allow me to get dimensional accuracy in photoshop?

example:

In Autocad I have line work,, now lets say I Know from this lne to that line is 10 feet,, now if I export that line work out and bring it into PS,, is there a way to sample this line and tell PS that to the next line is 10 feet so after that it understands my scale so I can produce accurate images that when inserted BACK into autocad it will "match" up to my original line work correctly??

Thanks

davpunk
10-07-2004, 07:47 AM
not really man. sorry. usually you bring in an image into a 3d program and build off of that- in that case the size is all relative anyway. for example, maya uses units, which can be associated with feet. 1 unit is 1 feet kinda thing...but if youre using it with photoshop with doesnt really have any sorta 3d engine with measurements...i cant think of a plugin either.

Elysian
10-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Why from Acad to Photoshop and back to Acad? Doesn't all make sense to me...

CTRL+X
10-09-2004, 08:01 AM
WHY?

Becasue projects are handed me from engineering in Land desktop that now are ready for production, but pre-production requires getting alot of clients all on the same page. so visualization requires the accuracy of the Autocad files,, with the pretty pictures of PS,, back into Autocad so the rest of the firm can X-Ref those images into any drawings they need,, and the need them to be dead on balls (technical term) accurate for any of thier needs.

dwin
10-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Have you checked the export or save file for photoshop or another formats that photoshop can open?

Elysian
10-09-2004, 04:47 PM
I have a solution; tell them to buy a real CAD program. Let's be honest, compared to some other CAD solutions Acad really sucks. :scream:

CTRL+X
10-09-2004, 10:09 PM
yea that will go over really well... try getting them to buy over 300 seats of a new CAD program.

thanks for any and all suggestions

rickmann
10-10-2004, 07:39 AM
try going from acad to illustrator to acad. I mean acad is a vector program that uses mathmatical points to connect a line wright? well so does illustrator! not only that but when you do create a point in illustrator you can tell illustrator....... ok put the next point or line 5 feet away in the -x axis at a 15 degree angle and everytime you grab the old mouse and drag that line and then go to duplicate it, it also remmebers how far and in what direction you moved it.

Rick

percydaman
10-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Elysian, thats a pretty ignorant and imflammatory statement, not to mention unhelpful. Having worked in an engineering outfit, I can tell you that Land desktop, though not suited to MY needs, was indespensible to others.

CTRL+X
10-16-2004, 01:23 AM
Its all cool,,,

there is a method described on CAD Tutor that covers maintaining accuracy and scale while you go between the two programs...

just takes a wee bit of math but works..

honestly it is so simple I should have thought of it myself.

ADIOS

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.