PDA

View Full Version : Lunitique: Please Read This, from Jin

Jinbrown
10-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Dear Lunitique,

This Sticky thread situation has gone beyond ridiculous. On my 19" monitor set to 1280 x 1024, the list of Sticky threads now fills the entire page, forcing the use of scroll bars to even see the first regular thread.

Please make one Sticky thread and post the links to all other Sticky threads inside that one, in the initial message. Then lock that main Sticky thread so people can't post to it and get it all messed up. If you need to add more Sticky threads, just add the links in the main Sticky thread initial message.

Once that's done, we'll see one Sticky at the top of the page, then the list of regular threads we come here to read.

When we want to refer someone to a Sticky thread, we can just refer them to the main one and let them find the information on their own.

Thanks for helping to make this a more reasonably useable forum.

your pal,

Jinny

Lunatique
10-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Doh! I keep forgetting that most people don't use insane desktop resolution like me at 1600x1200! I think the average for most people is around 1024x768?

I'll go ahead and round up all the stickies. Thanks for pointing it out!

Jinbrown
10-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Hi Lunatique,

You're welcome. ;)

No matter what the screen resolution may be, Sticky threads shouldn't take up even half the visible list of threads, so this is much better for everyone.

Thanks for taking care of it.

chrismoose
10-09-2004, 02:22 PM
hey guys,

when someone has (initially) posted in a thread, the text goes bold(doesnt it?!). Now the question is will the new sticky setup reveal to people that someone has posted : firstly in the main sticky thread then more importantly will it then highlight which sub thread they have posted in?!!

being on a tutorial super hunt i would hate to miss someones contribution. I just thought i'd better highlight this possible problem, if it does work correctly then great. i just thought about testing it myself but i aint, i aint gonna start wasting forum space!

.....you do it:)

cheers
chris.

Jinbrown
10-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Two solutions:

Do as is done on many other message boards: Reserve Sticky threads for specific information, not discussions, and lock them.

If that's not going to happen, we can always click the New Posts link at the top of the page to make sure we don't miss anything posted in the Stickies.

rebo
10-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Maybe there can be a sub forum with each sticky as a thread. Only mods allowed to make new threads, but anyone can reply to a thread. And the sub forum can be called "The Sticky Forum" :). Best of both worlds ?

chrismoose
10-09-2004, 08:05 PM
pressing new posts at the top of the bar brings up new posts of the whole site. if you are away from it for a couple of days then the list becomes quite long - multiple pages. and you might miss things.
chris.

Lunatique
10-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Well, I guess this is a case of "You can't have your cake and eat it too." :D

Or, if a sticky with a new relevant post pops up, I can just edit the stickies thread with something like:

(Upddated on month/day/year)

It'll be a bit of a hassel, but that's one way to do it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.