PDA

View Full Version : Modeling: Simple Object Normal Issue

Antrim
10-06-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm starting to work more on low poly modeling now, and have been looking at using soft/hard normals to get more shape out of the objects. My question is about wierd artifacts when adjusting the normals.

To illustrate, I built this really simple ottoman, and tried to adjust the top of the thing to look smooth (like the cushion). As you can see in the image, dark, somewhat triangulated artifacts start to appear when I do this....So I'm wondering, is this just the result you get from trying to fake geometry? Or is there something I can do to remedy it?

I haven't noticed the artifacts when I do the same thing to character models, but this simple geometry is presenting problems. I believe that creating more faces would help, but I'd prefer not to do that as it would just waste polys on a simple object.

Thanks for any advice,

-Antrim

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/antrim/www/Ottoman%20Frag.jpg

frink
10-07-2004, 12:24 AM
It can't be avoided I'm afraid buddy,
All 3d packages work on the basis of triangles (even when you make a quad the software sees it as 2 tris), this is what you are seeing on your model. The only way to get rid of them is to subdivide the object more.

Antrim
10-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Ok, I just wanted to make sure there was no alternative to creating more polys. Thanks for the info...I guess I just have to find a balance between smoothness and artifacts.

-Antrim

nwargasm
10-07-2004, 07:05 PM
On hard surface models I generally wouldnt soften more than 30 or you get those dark spots on the sharp angles.

NeptuneImaging
10-07-2004, 07:38 PM
I am having that problem as well, so a good way around that is to also have great lighting...

DeepOmega
10-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Alternatively, detach the legs and make them separate elements. Sink them into the rest of the.. chair.. table thing, and you'll actually have fewer polys, and a better appearance.

Antrim
10-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Wouldn't sinking the legs into the body actually cause a bit of distortion around the areas where they meet? (not that it matters in this case since that face will be down anyway).

It would save 8 polys on the model, but from what I understand about game modeling, you want to keep everything as 1 object unless you can't avoid it. That could just be a misconception on my part though.

As for the lighting...yeah, lighting can do wonders for hiding artifacts and such, but I'm actually doing this to learn the best way to fix these types of problems from a modeling standpoint. In the project that I'm doing these tests for, I won't have much, if any, control over the lighting, so I gotta make my models as presentable as possible.

Thanks for the comments/help

-Antrim

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.