PDA

View Full Version : over the top hong kong action!

Wiro
08-14-2002, 10:52 AM
If you want totally over the top Hong Kong MI:2 / Matrix / Manga action with huge robots, big explosions, bullet-dodging, sexy girls and guys in macho poses...check this one out

http://www.returner.net/

Trailers are to the far right. Wish I could read chinese...

Wiro

Wiro
08-14-2002, 11:09 AM
By the way...scroll to the FAR right to get the trailers.

Wiro

lildragon
08-14-2002, 11:17 AM
If anyone wants to read it, use babelfish http://babelfish.altavista.com and enter the url and change the conversion to Japanese to English ;)

salud!

Ronski
08-14-2002, 11:51 AM
Hey while were on the subject Wiro check out this trailer to a Korean film called Volcano High.... :D

http://www.wix.co.kr/cinema/engtrail/volcanohigh.asf

I got the DVD in the post a few days ago, the end sequence fight in the stadium is superb, some really nice cg effects throughout as well. Both have telekinetic powers & can control water so when it rains they both start hurling supersonic balls of h2o while flying around :)

Hey that film looks pretty cool Wiro :scream:

Cheers,
Kieron

d_hansbury
08-14-2002, 01:22 PM
I hate the fact that asians just naturally look cool.

I wish the trailers were a little better quality, and was it me...or did the music sound like "Everybody's working for the weekend.."

This was my Pointless Post for the day.

dmonk
08-14-2002, 01:48 PM
I love this kind of stuff!

If you order the dvds will they play on american dvd players. I know some dvds won't work on american dvd players.

HapZungLam
08-14-2002, 03:26 PM
that's a cool movie.

but, well, i am a chinese, but the website is in japanese!!!! :scream: :scream: :scream:

Wiro
08-14-2002, 03:58 PM
Heya Kieron, didn't notice you were in here too :)

I wan't able to save the Volcano High trailer and it didn't play well as a stream...any way to save it? (I don't have Getright at work)

HapZungLam...oops, my bad :D

Wiro

G Nilsson
08-17-2002, 11:17 AM
i just rightclicked it/save link as...

anyone know what studio made the fx?

i couldnt even find the movie (returner) on imdb...

/G

Ronski
08-17-2002, 12:04 PM
Hi Wiro, well when I can ;)

Film is also known as Whasango & is here on IMDB http://us.imdb.com/Title?0301429 it's a shame they don't list the western names of some films.

"Whasango literally means "Volcano" and "High," "High" being a shortened version of "High School (Kodeung Haggyo)."

Cheers,
Kieron

Oh I found a good review here.....
http://koreanfilm.org/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID1/872.html

"* Mild Spoilers *

* Mild Spoilers *

Just saw VOLCANO HIGH and hugely enjoyed it! Even though the film does suffer from a few severe problems, which prevents it from being truly great, it is one of the funniest and most ingenious Korean films I have seen in long time. It really has a potential to become a cult classic. The movie is jam-packed with so many direct, indirect and utterly twisted references to just about every aspect of Asian pop culture, from Japanese manga, anime, Hong Kong martial arts movies, old Korean TV dramas, video games, Hollywood special effects extravaganzas (most importantly MATRIX) that you cannot take them all in one viewing.

Chang Hyuk plays Kyung Su, a blonde-haired high schooler, endowed with supernatural martial arts abilities, have been expelled for nine times. He is finally transferred to the dreaded Volcano High, where, unbeknownst to him, a power struggle is going on between President, the member of the Lassez-faire Faction, and Vice-President, the member of the Memorize Answers Faction over a mysterious secret scroll. In the beginning he is embroiled in Chang Ryang’s (Kim Su Ro from ATTACK THE GAS STATION) plan to take over athletic clubs of Volcano High, but he soon finds himself the only fighter who can challenge the martial arts prowess of the five leather-coat-clad teachers straight out of MATRIX, sent to “pacify” troubled schools.

The prologue sets up the tone of the movie. A teacher busily writes on blackboard. His hand stops! He notices a student not paying attention! “Yaa, Kyung Su!” Out flies a little piece of chalk! It WOOSHES across the classroom like a missile. Kyung Su, however, STOPS the chalk millimeters in front of his brow! He scowls, a CGI mini-maelstrom develops around the chalk, the teacher’s face goes pale. BOOM! The chalk shoots back like a cannonball and hits the teacher’s forehead! He is SMASHED into the blackboard! BA-BOOM! Kyung Su’s face turns into a b&w photo on which, KA-CHUNG, the “Expelled” label is stamped.

You can take a litmus test for yourself whether you are likely to enjoy VOLCANO HIGH or not. Try and choose one answer each from the following questions.

A. What kind of anime film would you recommend to your friends?

1) What is an anime? 2) AKIRA 3) FIST OF THE NORTH STAR 4) OTAKU NO VIDEO or RANMA ½

B. What recent example of creative CGI effects come to your mind?

1) What is CGI? 2) Umm… JURASSIC PARK? 3) MATRIX 4) SHAOLIN SOCCER

C. What is your response to action sequences in BICHUNMOO?

1) Sorry, haven’t seen the movie. 2) It was boring and stupid. 3) I loved it! 4) I watched similar action sequences so many times, most of them strike me as funny.

D. Two characters, one dressed in leather overcoat, are facing each other in the midst of shower. Tensely regarding one another, they are drenched in water. Flashes of lightning! Close-ups of their eyes! What movie does this scene remind you of?

1) What? 2) CASABLANCA? 3) NOWHERE TO HIDE 4) BLADE RUNNER

OK, rate yourself by adding the numbers attached to your answers. If your score is 4-6: Avoid this film, trust me. You will be bored out of mind! 7-11: You may be able to appreciate some aspects of this film, but you may also find it overlong, uninvolving and repetitious. 12-16: PRE-ORDER THE DVD NOW!!

So… as for the problems, there are basically two. 1) The final 40 minutes or so of VOLCANO HIGH, like in MY SASSY GIRL, becomes quite unnecessarily “serious” and loses all the wits and playfulness that dominate the first 2/3 of the movie. 2) The best character in the whole movie, Song Hak Rim, Tea Ceremony Club president, disappears from the movie completely after the first reel. What a waste! It would have been FAR more entertaining to see the rivalry between Song Hak Rim and Kyung Su over the Kendo Club President Yu Chae Yi, rather than seeing a dumb macho “friendship” developing between Kyung Su and Chang Ryang.

One thing I would like to remind people here, however, is that a lot of humor in VOLCANO HIGH is very specifically Korean. A few gags are directly tied to the puns originating from Korean pronunciation of Chinese characters, especially supremely silly names given to martial arts techniques, so I wonder whether Chinese-speaking viewers can relate to them. (Perhaps they might find them unintentionally funny in a different way?) Needless to say, this movie will be a complete nightmare for English subtitle writers. There are other scenes from the movie in which Chinese characters are used as graphic symbols instead of letters, imbibing them with peculiar beauty. My absolutely favorite scene is one where Kyung Su fights Song Hak Rim in a sort of calligraphic cyberspace, where Chinese characters gracefully float about against white background. Beautifully done, almost worth the price of rental just for that sequence.

Despite its faults, I am definitely getting it on DVD.

A well-traveled path has no gate/A tongue has no bones.

Q "

G Nilsson
08-17-2002, 02:26 PM
i did write that it was returner that i couldnt find on imdb right?
/G

Ronski
08-17-2002, 03:17 PM
Oops sorry G :)

I found a little more about Returner here
http://www.ponycanyon.co.jp/intl/mp/right_12.html#top

Cheers,
Kieron

Wiro
08-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Durrrr...dooohhh!
Yeah, rightclick -> Save as of course works, thanks for reminding me :D

Wiro

Mangaka604
08-21-2002, 02:33 AM
Looks slick. Famous Japanese actor (Takeshi). Fairly good CGI elements. Funny thing is, Anne Suzuki is only 14, tho she looks older in the movie. Style reminds me of the Transporter movie thats coming out with John Statham and Hsu Chi.

Minguez
08-22-2002, 06:17 PM
Mangaka604:
Hahahah...did you know she was just 14, or did you just like me, looked at the trailer...had to find out more about the "beautiful leading actress"...found one of the few webpages...saw her age and felt realy a shamed of your self..haha:)

Damn, she looked like 18 in the trailer, and then I find out that I almoast had illegal thaugts...:)

me bad!

Tychoides
10-12-2003, 08:48 PM
returner's coming to america :)

trailer :

http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/returner/returnergbtrailer_high.asx

Sky_DaBomB
10-12-2003, 10:06 PM
It's coming to US but it's already on NetFlix a while ago....:p

EpShot
10-13-2003, 03:36 AM
don't forget to check out "Verses" especialy if you like kung fu, kungfu against zombies, gun fights, zombies with guns, sword fights

and a matrix parody that actauly left me lauging for a good 5 minutes

and from teh looks of it.. it the same guy fro the returner.

erilaz
10-13-2003, 03:41 AM
Yep, Volcano High rocks. My mate is doing the region 4 DVD conversion for it at work I think.:D

I sooo want to see this returner one though!

Lunatique
10-13-2003, 06:13 AM
Don't get your hopes up. My wife and I turned it off after about 15 minutes. It was typical B-moive stuff.

Array
10-13-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Lunatique
Don't get your hopes up. My wife and I turned it off after about 15 minutes. It was typical B-moive stuff.

hehe, yeah, this clip isnt very convincing:

http://www.returner.net/trailer/rpv300.asx

JONO
10-13-2003, 04:35 PM
at last people who like the same stuff i do !!
WELL, some people. if you think these movies are B grade -
OFCOURSE THEY ARE B GRADE ( atleast by the typical hollywood, big budget, tired story, well known boring actor standards ) BUT DONT TURN IT OFF AFTER 15 MIN !!!
SHAME.very dull.
WHAT DID YOU POP IN AFTERWARDS ?

ive seen volcano high and returner. they blow the lid off shit like matrix ( first one is still col but reloaded sucked balls ).

for those of you into asian action,special effects type movies like these be sure to check out 'naked weapon' oooooooo and
'shaolin soccer' rules !!!!

Lunatique
10-13-2003, 06:51 PM
How big the budget was and how sophisticated the special effects were has NOTHING to do with whether a movie is good. I NEVER judge a film that way.

The Returner got turned off after 15 minutes because of the bad writing, bad acting, and bad direction. I even fastforwarded the rest of it, stopping in spots to see if it got any better. Nope. I'm no stranger to foreign films. I've watched my share of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, European..etc films. The Returner was just like the countless bad Japanese sci-fi/action films I've seen for the last 20 years.

If you want a great Japanese B-movie, watch Battle Royale instead.

What I popped in afterwards I don't remember, but whatever it was, I at least finished watching it.

JONO
10-14-2003, 11:36 AM
yes. look - its not personal and i did agree its b-grade, i simply love b-grade. thats what im saying and i found returner to be great fun and there is alot of talent there working on the actual production. i thaught the effects were very cool and the technical aspects of the shooting were good. oh and the girl can act good or bad but she is very cute :drool: maybe that altered my perception of the movie.

AND YES - battle royal is amaaaaaaaaazing. very very very very good. dark, but good. its different genre ofcourse. if you are going to watch an action sci-fi expect a bit of b-grade cheese especially if there is not as much money in it as what hollywood could throw. thats what im getting at.

im finding these movies ( battle rotal, volcano, returner ) to be a refreshing watch as compared to the norm.

cheers

p.s Lunatique , how is your short going. cant wait to see that. im expecting to see an unbelievable film, knowing that you are a critical thinker. keep well and tell me what you think of battle royal 2 when it comes out.

Neil
10-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Well someone mentioned it, but the most over-the-top, insane, violent, funny, odd movie is definitely

VERSUS
(you must check it out)

also great asian exports:

Story of Ricky-O
(infamous head smashing scene)

BATTLE ROYALE
(kids killing each other on an island.... need i say more?)

BATTLE ROYALE 2
(haven't seen it yet though... )

TiDES AND TIME
(forgot the real name, and cant' find it anymore)

TheGreenGiant
10-18-2003, 12:41 AM
... lunatique are you talking about the returners or volcano high?

Just caught the trailer. Don't know about the movie but damn, the plane-evangelion type robot was cool and its got super cool jap/taiwaness actor Takeshi Kaneshiro.

Lunatique
10-18-2003, 04:43 AM
JONO - Working hard on it everyday, plus a few other things. It's a wonder that I have time to visit cgtalk at all. . .. I'll definitely keep everyone posted whenever there are things we can show publically.

TheGreenGiant - Hahahaha! Volcano High didn't even last 5 minutes. . .. Maybe I was in a "I want a good film" mood when I popped it in, not "I want an entertaining, but stupid film" mood. :D I'll tell you what though--one entertaining but stupid Korean film I did love was Attack The Gas Station. I laughed until my stomache hurt in that one! See it if you haven't!:buttrock:

And about Takeshi--have you noticed that he was at his best when he acted in Hong Kong films? I've seen him in one American film, and one Japanese film, and in both he was terrible. I really believe that a great director can make a mediocre actor look good--so maybe Wong Kar Wei is the only reason Takeshi ever looked good?

erilaz
10-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Versus was pretty good. I saw it last night. Lots of excess, but that made it funny!:D

Battle Royale is brilliant. I highly recommend it. I'm buying the collectors edition when it comes out.

dantea
10-18-2003, 03:59 PM
Volcano High used Houdini to do the particle effects. There was a thread about this here: (look at the bottom 4 posts)
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=1112&hl=volcano+high

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.