PDA

View Full Version : Dothan Processor Speeds?

vizion
10-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm considering purchasing a lightweight laptop with some muscle for games and cg apps. So far, I am really impressed with the acer8000 travelmate series and have found one from Hypersonic -Aviator CQ6 for around $2500. Here are some of its specs:15" WUXGA, 1gig ram 400, Radeon 9700 128,60gig HD @7200, Dvdburner, weighs 6.3 pounds and around 4+hours of battery life. NOw, I have it configured with a 2.0 gigahertz Dothan Intell 755 Centrino mobile processor. Problem is, i don't really know how fast this is. I mean, it seems a bit expensive for a freakin 2 gig processor. Can ne1 tell me how the Dothans procs compare in speed to say Intel 4 or Amds? Many thanx in advance.

leas5040
10-07-2004, 01:35 AM
As far as I know, the Dothan's are just the newer Centrino chipset processors. If things stayed the same from the first pentium M's (with the exception of the clock speed, of course) then the main reason that it is pricey is because the chip's have a full Mb of L2 cache, which allows them to lower the clock speed, while still keeping nearly the same performance level. Personally, if you won't be on the go that much, I don't see the merit of getting a Dothan chip over the regular Pentium 4's, as the biggest advantage is that Dothan can help you get quite a bit more time out of your battery. If you aren't on the go that much, or are but can plug the laptop in, then I would get a P4 or an Athlon myself, and save a bundle.

lots
10-07-2004, 03:55 AM
The Dothan is a mobile chip made by Intel. Actually its official name is Pentium-M (It's actually the second processor to bear that name, the first being Banias), and is part of the Centrino package. The chip is designed to be fast cool and power efficient. You can think of it as somewhat of a hybrid between the Pentium 4 (the Netburst architecture) and the Pentium 3 (due to its high IPC, instructions per clock, in comparison with a Pentium 4). This is why its not clocked at 3+ GHz. On a laptop high GHz = high power consumption and less battery life. Thus insted of having many many GHz, the Pentium-M makes do with fewer GHz (like the Athlon) and insted will do MORE per clock cycle than a P4 will. The end result is a chip that is pretty power efficient, and fairly strong. My brother has a 1.7 GHz Dothan, and I can honestly say that it is a pretty quick laptop. Very fast and light, and best of all it runs very cool and for long periods of time. Granted it may not be quite as fast as the most top end Pentium 4 at 3.6GHz, but it will perform pretty well, in my opinion. My experience with the chip and various other Pentium 4s makes me want to say that the 2GHz Dothan could possibly land somewhere between a Pentium 4 2.6GHz and a Pentium 4 3.0GHz in performance. The plus here however, is its very portable nature. You'll be able to take it most anywhere, and on battery, do some pretty demanding things for larger ammounts of time, as opposed to buying a Pentium 4 in your laptop and getting about 30 minutes tops of battery life ;)

And thats what a laptop should be right? Something portable...

Thalaxis
10-08-2004, 05:51 PM
then the main reason that it is pricey is because the chip's have a full Mb of L2 cache, which allows them to lower the clock speed, while still keeping nearly the same performance level.
It's 2 MB on Dothan, but that's not why it's expensive. It's expensive because of the nature of the laptop market -- and the fact that Intel doesn't want them to compete with the P4 in the desktop market (which I hope that plan to change their minds on at some point).

bmwolf
10-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Basically, they haul ass! Intel's best proc. overall, in my opinion.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2129&p=1

I have a banias 1.7 in my thinkpad t41p and i can hardly tell a difference in performance compared to my 3.0 p4 except in rendering and extreme multitasking.

vizion
10-10-2004, 04:37 AM
Thank you guys for your timely replies, and thanks for your concise description of these new procs bmwolf. I will definately try and get the laptop asap. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.