PDA

View Full Version : Which DVD burner to get?

wurp
10-06-2004, 11:18 AM
hey there

Im wondering if anyone can recomend a good DVD burner? I've been looking at the PX-712A(plextor) burner which seems very good. I had good experience with plextor before so..

Also I wonder if its worth getting a dual-layer burner yet? Plextor has another model (PX-716A) which can do dual layer as well, havnt seen it in any shops around here tho.

Thanks

alexyork
10-06-2004, 11:28 AM
I ordered my 1st ever DVD burner last night - opted for the NEC ND-3500. (Black bezel, naturally!). It's 16x which is neat even though there aren't 16x discs in mass production easily available yet (at least not in the UK) but it's good preparation for the near future. It does dual layer too of course, at 2.4x (or 4x with some tweaking and new firmware). Decent price too.

I'll let you know if it's any good when it arrives (Monday... sigh Ebuyer....) but there are plenty of reviews online to read with a quick yank of your googlestick. :)

wurp
10-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Cool man, I will look into that burner. I actually live in london myself and I ordered a monitor and a plextor dvd burner from dabs.com but they took like 3 weeks just to process the order and they took like 5 days every time I asked a question and also it was impossible to call them so I told them to f**k off and bought the monitor from microwarehouse instead, took 2 days then I had the monitor, but unfortunately they didnt have any decent burners in stock so Im looking for another store now, you say ebuyer is good? One thing i REALLY do not understand about england is why the HELL do they deliver between 9 and 6 on weekdays? Thats EXACLY when people are working, so why would they do that??
When I ordered my monitor and asked the delivery company if they could call me something like 30 minutes before delivery (so I could make my way home) but noooooo, that was too hard for them, so in the end I took a saturday delivery which ofcourse costed some extra but ohh well.

Last weekend I went with a friend to tottenham court road in central london, they had tons of stores there, so maybe you know of any good store there that sells burners as well? Or are those generally alot more expensive compard to an online store? I can understand if a burner would cost something like 5-10 extra there in those stores but thats really nothing as you'll end up spending that kinda money on delvery anyway :)

Thanks for the help

alexyork
10-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Ahh you're in London! Now we're talking :)

Well Totters Road is a great place to start. Any shops will do (don't bother with Micro Anvika - they're usually ridiculously overpriced, but you never know - nice place to check out new Apple stuff) - all the small independant shops along the road are great. The guys in the shop will assume you know nothing about computers and try to sell you either old rubbish models or stupidly expensive ones, so tell them as soon as you go in that you don't want any BS from them and to show you some 16x drives immediately :) don't pay more than 55 for a 16x drive there though, or you may as well buy online, if you can wait for delivery.

Don't forget to pick up an audio cable while you're there, since most OEM drives don't come with them.

Online shops to check out:

ebuyer.com - nice reviews and a reasonable selection. usually the cheapest online prices. LONG delivery times..... talking up to a week plus sometimes.

ebay.co.uk - you never know, you might get lucky and grab a bargain

dabs.com - bleh. aweful . last chance saloon :)

overclockers.co.uk - only the very best hardware, but at a price

scan.co.uk - some nice things here - can be pricey. bad search engine on the site, so hard to find what you want. occasional mega bargains

aria.co.uk - mega bargains on here, but often out of stock or end-of-line products

definitely get a 16x and dual layer. may as well prepare yourself for future media releases (I'm looking forward to a cheap 16x bulk pack and some nice dual layer discs that aren't 5 a disk!). also, you can get an 8x DVDRW for 45... why not pay a tenner more and get a 16x that's twice as fast and has more support for new media?

as a general ballpark, I would look to be spending between 50 and 60 for a 16x drive. if you find anything less than 55 in a store in Totters, grab it. That NEC ND-3500 came to 58 more or less, including shipping. make sure you get a guarantee/warantee if you're buying from a totters shop.

9am to 5pm shipping sucks doesn't it. ebuyer have a habit of delivering before 9am though. this isn't a good thing for me, being a heavy sleeper and at the top of the house (I can't hear the doorbell ring!, especially when my housemates are indoors playing black metal all day!)

Gluck!

singularity2006
10-07-2004, 05:54 AM
I second that on the NEC3500. I also got the same and it works like a freaking charm. The only drawback is the apps I've tried running it on, ECDC, B's Recorder Gold, do not support the 16x write speed. But other than that, it still burns much faster than my old 8x burner. But personally, I would really wait for the 16x Plexwriter. I like that one for its DAE functionality, which the NEC lacks. Similarly, it's a more solid drive coming from the Plextor line (though NEC is pretty solid too). Just wait a bit.... the 16x was just released and will be going retail soon!

ristopuukko
10-07-2004, 06:32 AM
I can recommend NEC.

I had NEC 1300 in my old workstation and
now I'm using NEC 2500.

Good machines and good value for money.

/risto

singularity2006
10-07-2004, 07:42 AM
ah, one nit pick. As good as those NEC drives are... I recall one particular model that had a weird front bezel button mechanism that was pretty trashy. The bezel piece covering the button was attached only by one side and broke right off. HEh, otherwise, these are solid OEM's.

wurp
10-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Whats DAE? I also looked at the plexwriter, they have one dual layer out already, but its something like 80 instead of the 53 the NEC costs, so it's quite a bit more expensive. Plextor has a very good reputation, but it seems like most other burners are now up to par with them. Not sure if the plextor would be worth the extra money if Im gonna use it for home use only? What are your thoughts?

I second that on the NEC3500. I also got the same and it works like a freaking charm. The only drawback is the apps I've tried running it on, ECDC, B's Recorder Gold, do not support the 16x write speed. But other than that, it still burns much faster than my old 8x burner. But personally, I would really wait for the 16x Plexwriter. I like that one for its DAE functionality, which the NEC lacks. Similarly, it's a more solid drive coming from the Plextor line (though NEC is pretty solid too). Just wait a bit.... the 16x was just released and will be going retail soon!

singularity2006
10-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Ah, DAE is digital audio extraction. I do occasional audio ripping and without DAE ... it's sloooooow...... i think i can have a whole dinner before it's done ripping. DAE is done in a couple minutes flat. Anyhow, I would do this.... get the NEC if u really need it now. And if you have another PC somewhere in the house or need to get a friend a birthday gift, go buy yourself the Plexwriter 16x when it becomes available (I see it on their website, but i don't see it available in their online store) and then give the NEC to your friend or other PC. You'll both be VERY happy. =)

But personally, I'd like to wait for the Plexwriter. However, I did get the NEC ... 3 of them so far. ANd each time I upgraded, someone else in the house got a new DVD burner... lol. One last time so I can get my Plexwriter. =)

alseides
10-07-2004, 07:12 PM
dual layer burners are quite cheap now, some even cheaper than single layered burners. price is not the issue with these dvd9 burners but the media is. You can buy the drive now and would have to wait a long time for media to become more available and and less expensive.

If your getting a drive now I think you might as well get a dual layer, even if you might not use that feature for a while. That way, you won't have to buy another drive in the future when dual layer media is more available and you change your mind.

Lite-on has a very good dvd9 burner at around 80 bucks. so does NEC, which ppl have been talking about in this thread so far. If you want a more sexy drive go for the Pioneer A08XL (not oem) that is the most beautiful drive I have ever seen. heh. Performance wise these are all good performers, however certain drives work better with certain brands of media (produces less write errors) so be sure to check up on reviews over the internet (ie www.cdrlabs.com (http://www.cdrlabs.com/))

One more thing to note is that if you do get one of these dual burners always check for firmware updates, they are always being released and imprive on media compatibility and write performance. get them at your manufacturer's website or www.cdfreaks.com (http://www.cdfreaks.com/).

Halford
10-07-2004, 11:20 PM
I had a long tought as well for it. at the end I got a Pioneer 108 that burns at 16x(an offer at 99euros).

all the test I seen on the net are good.

by the way the pioneer 108 has the NEC3500 chip inside.

Hal.

alseides
10-08-2004, 06:45 AM
yup. they are based on the same drive. most drives now are like that. ull be amazed how many of them are internally indentical to other drives. however, its the firmware that makes all the difference. it tells the drive how to burn the disc. anywho, the 108 is the OEM version of the A08XL, which has an aluminum face place (in beige, black or white) plus the honeycomb style case that keeps it very quiet.

alexyork
10-08-2004, 10:13 AM
right, my NEC ND-3500A finally arrived today, so I''ll post back in a bit with some results and a small review :)

alexyork
10-08-2004, 08:25 PM
well i finally managed to get this puppy installed (NEC ND-3500a).

i had to go into my BIOS settings and enable "auto" mode for DMA to detect the drive as Ultra DMA, otherwise it detected it as Multi-Word DMA Mode 2, which caused buffer underruns when burning.

and........

it's awesome!

not a single coaster yet - burned 10 discs or so already. a few DVD+RW, a few DVD-R, some CDR, some CD+RW. All perfect. Copied some of my DVDs (legal of course.....), ripped some music CDs. it's great! 8x = about 7 mins, 4x = about 14 mins. I don't have any 12x or 16x discs yet - or dual layer discs - I'm gonna buy some when they are cheap enough and easy to buy in bulk.

the ability to backup ALL your work on one disc is SO good - no more leaving out uncompressed frames/videos from your CDR backups.

bargain for 60!

Ps. I might install new firmware - i've heard the default official NEC firmware for this drive limits ripping to 4x, which is tooo slow.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.