PDA

View Full Version : Study Of An Unknown Model., Kim Ji Hyun (2D)

kjhyun8066
10-06-2004, 02:56 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/86845/86845_1097031365_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/86845/86845_1097031365.jpg)

Title: Study Of An Unknown Model.
Name: Kim Ji Hyun
Software: Painter

I wanted this work to be somewhat realistic and pictorial at the same time.
I used acrylics and oils and it took me about 20 hours to finish.
Any comments would be welcome.

peanuckle
10-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Very nice...I really enjoy the detail in they eyes. I personally might have spent a little more time around the lips though. Looks awesome though!

pea~

aesir
10-06-2004, 05:50 AM
My only crit is that it looks like he has lipstick on, but you could adjust the hue pretty easy on that. Unless the model really was wearing lipstick.....

But overall it is BEAUTIFUL!!

arona
10-06-2004, 06:00 AM
great work i love the expression.

Archetype
10-06-2004, 06:06 AM
heh .. thats some awesome looking job u pulled there

nice thing to see ...
adding more detail to the face wich draws away from the rest of the area ..

andy_maxman
10-06-2004, 06:19 AM
super stuff man.
love the realism on the eyes.
crit would be that he seems to have features of both the genders. to some that would look outrightly sexy.
and yeah thats a very serene and calm forehead.
cheers!
andy

- ps:
- cant believe that i bet EdHarris on posting to this thread.
- That dude most of the times seems to be the first person to post on most of the artworks.

yeluis
10-06-2004, 06:25 AM
simply awsome!!! great work:thumbsup:

Rass
10-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Incredible work! i like all yours! :eek:

Bimo
10-06-2004, 07:41 AM
awesome paintinghttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gifhttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

whabababa
10-06-2004, 08:42 AM
It's great I love itkeep it up mand.. later

Riddick
10-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Oh! Nice face!
You have made a really sensible portrait.
And very realistic.
Great!

Anubis-Halil
10-06-2004, 09:03 AM
What An Amazing Work!!..
Kim Ji Hyun, Please can you send Work in progress pictures of this work? I wanna see step by step?

digitalhadz
10-06-2004, 09:33 AM
very nice detail... i love the brush stroke you used, it looks real painting. nice job!

Devilsnok
10-06-2004, 09:42 AM
great work i love the expression

Christoph_H84
10-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Nice work! Especially the hair and the detailed eyes.

trall
10-06-2004, 12:59 PM
very nice :eek:

PedroToledo
10-06-2004, 01:23 PM
VERY nice brush strokes! Beautiful image!

Of-Air
10-06-2004, 02:16 PM
nice work.:thumbsup:

love your lighting.

r3mix
10-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Nice job! Love the colors. No crits from me. :)

Seraf
10-06-2004, 02:30 PM
amazing work as usual,
that's really a realistic portrait.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

thesuit
10-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Awesome painting... I like what you have acomplished here. I would probably work around the mouth a little bit more... thats just my opinion tho. Its great!

Two thumps up from me:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Funnylab
10-06-2004, 05:19 PM
nice work !!
I like his eyes, so beautiful. :thumbsup:

dmitriy_k
10-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Very nice details. It looks like real painting. I like the hair and eyes. Excellent job!

teknoz
10-06-2004, 07:56 PM
good work i like it :arteest:

Giad
10-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Maybe it's supposed to be so, but it feels like the nose is a somewhat scewed.
I think it's cause it's painted from a slightly different perspective than the rest of the face

In all other, very nice work!

JuGGerNauTT
10-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Great work you got there Kim, you really captured an expression with this painting.... that momentary glance rarely found in today's portraits.

Love your colours and eyes... they are really spellbound :)

A question.... Are you the same guy who made that awsome photorealistic Russell Crowe in Maya, about 4 years ago?

Keep on rocking in the free world mate!

Vayu
10-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Nice job, but the lips is very red...

Vayu

Elysian
10-06-2004, 09:23 PM
High quality, well done!

DavCole
10-06-2004, 09:42 PM
I like this a lot! :thumbsup:

maxlover
10-06-2004, 10:10 PM
awesome, very nice, what else i could say, I dont have words man

Crewler
10-06-2004, 10:31 PM
just perfect :thumbsup:

JeePee
10-06-2004, 10:35 PM
the fur coat could use some more painted hair levels
also the hair could use some more wild single hairs plus the coat on the bottom right looks a bit raw compared to the rest of the image but on overal very nice image :thumbsup:

* note that i'm a total painting noob, i'm just telling what i see and how i feel about it

e-apollo
10-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Wow, that is incredible. I'm a fan of portrait paintings. This is acrylic in Painter, correct? Very beautiful.

I also agree with some of the comments left previously on the lips and hair (adding extra loose strands would give a more nicer effect to the "realism"). You know, that model even looks familiar sort to say! Haha. I forgot his name though.

Miep
10-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Wow, those eyes are really intense, and he DOES look familiar :-)! One problem that I spotted - his right eye is larger than his left, and the asymmetry is making my brain itch... Although I know people in real life whose eyes are of different size (it's REALLY creepy once you've spotted it).

phoenix
10-07-2004, 05:46 AM
very impressive... lovely lighting everything...

pearl3d
10-07-2004, 08:25 AM
very nice work -

amazing detail :thumbsup:

shadowkeeper
10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
I just can say, Outstanding work. ;)

shserge
10-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Just high quality work, love it! Really good style! :thumbsup:

ploink34
10-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Fantastic!! The eyes are incredible, I liked the way you kept the fur simple (as simple as 20 hours will allow) I see some crits on the lips, but me personally, I like them.

Jaun
10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
I have to agree with someone else on the nose, the head is slightly turned but the nose is painted straight on....and I will agree with everyone else that is is a fine piece of work....

holyjewsus
10-07-2004, 03:48 PM
it looks like me! heh.

keesen
10-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Great!! I was attracted by the expression, good quality! The hair is well control though. keep it on!

kjhyun8066
10-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Thank you all for the comments!! I could learn many things.
I made only four backup files while I work with this painting.
Last one, I did some more additional touch on the right eye(model's point) and color change on lips.
I like his red lips though. I wanted him to look handsome and kind of pretty(?).

http://www.gemeni8th.co.kr/bbs/data2/2d/1097307075/progress.jpg

techart
10-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Jesus what an awesome painting......oil,achrylick??????? just kidding....awesome...you brush itz crazy

Smartypants
10-15-2004, 03:54 PM
I really enjoy this painting. It just shows that a painting doesn't have to be photorealistic in order to be good. This is enjoyable because it looks like a painting.

Do you work directly from photographs, and if so, how true to the photograph do you like to stay? Do you alter anything, such as lighting or backgrounds? Just curious.

cateaic
10-18-2004, 01:52 AM
holy....:scream: Thats the most kickass portrait ive ever seen.

Nolita
10-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Wow, precisely why Painter is my favorite app for specifically, well, painting. I'm on your side about the lip color, they aren't really red. If you look closely they're several colors including a peachy sort of coral. About the eyes, it seems to me that he's facing ever so slightly to his right side. Therefore it makes perfect sense that his left eye should be slightly larger(in appearance) than his right. Also, I believe we would all be hard pressed to find anyone who is perfectly symetrical physically. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if symmetry doesn't exist in nature. I've noticed that if I paint half a face, then mirror it, and line it up(sort of how folks do when modelling a head with a 3D app), it looks much more strange to me than when I paint each side seperately, and simply flip horizontally from time to time, somehow those very subtle differences are an important ingredient for "realism".

On the side of just loving the painting, it reminds me very much of paintings by Vermeer(compliment, he's one of my all time favorite artists:):)). It has to do with the subtle shimmering touches of light. I'm wonderring, did you use layers(only because it's the only way I can even come close to getting that shimmering quality, and only in practice pieces like a single eye, or pair of lips, or a ceramic pot)?

Okay, I just can't stop loving and commenting on this painting, I'm like "wow, if this doesn't prove that digital painting is painting, then nothing does". I just added you to my list of online faves. You're in good company, alongside Robert "Lunatique" Chang, Linda Bergkvist, and Don Seegmiller, among others. That's interresting, because many of the crits about this pic are almost word for word the same as crits about Linda's work, that he's too feminine, too pretty, etc...there's a word for that, it's called androgyny, and yes I'm one of those folks who thinks it's downright sexy. BTW, he doesn't really look like a woman, or even truly feminine to me, he looks like a pretty man/boy, or even just a very young man, often a very young man who will look rather handsome later in life, starts out looking pretty, then again sometimes the pretty doesn't go away.

A compliment on your choice of models as well, he doesn't look like he's decidedly of any one particular nationality(not to be confused with race), he could be French, Swedish, English, American, or of any of maybe 50 or 100 other nationalities. I'm mentioning all this, because it's part of what adds to the quality of the painting, his physical, and even ethnic ambiguities add an air of mystery to the portrait. It's refreshing, because normally when somebody wants to paint a person who looks mysterious, they tend to paint them wearing a hat, or as a brunette, or looking away, even all of the above, or gasp, my least favorite of all, they add sunglasses, which in turn robs the painting of ever having a soul. You however, did absolutely everything right.

:bowdown: (http://www.cgtalk.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)I went all gushy and fangirl, but you deserve it:) If I could I would give you an award of excellence.

Okay, now this fangirl will shut up(Finally! What took me so long?)

Chris Anderson
10-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Nolita said: A compliment on your choice of models as well, he doesn't look like he's decidedly of any one particular nationality(not to be confused with race), he could be French, Swedish, English, American, or of any of maybe 50 or 100 other nationalities. I'm mentioning all this, because it's part of what adds to the quality of the painting, his physical, and even ethnic ambiguities add an air of mystery to the portrait.

Whoa! It's almost amazing that this was even said.

Nolita, how can you put value in this painting, because you can't tell what nationality this model is? You say he could be French, Swedish, etc, but that can be said about most every white American. Because the genetics come from Europe. Black Americans, different types of Asian people, it's impossible to know what someones nationality is, you can't know unless you ask the person, it's not a physical trait that can be seen anymore because of all the migrating and moving around, leaving countries to live in another, and becoming apart of other nations. So what you say has no baring on the quality or intelligence that went into this painting. It's 'race' that is noticable to the eye, and this guy is your basic, pretty boy, blond white dude. There's no ingenious that went into the ethnicities of this model so there's is no mystery, in the ethnic sense, in this model. And to get real technical, sure, tis guy like most people may have 1 or 2 or 10 percent something else in his DNA, but in the end, (unless I'm mistaken) he's just a white dude, there's nothing mysterious about that.

The only reason why I felt I had to say something about this, is, I hate it when people put a piece of art on such a high petal-stool, that they over anaylize and make up things to say about the art that doesn't make any real sense to a thinking person, but to the masses, sounds like serious art talk, so they accept what was said as golden truth. That happens way too much in the art industry.

Now, back to the painting,

kjhyun8066 - great job as you already know. Sorry if I junked up your thread with this. You have a great painting technique. Nice details in this portrait. The more great art I see, the more inspired I become to do more art. Thanks for sharing.

-C

dcfog
11-03-2004, 03:20 PM
I would also like to see this work as it was done in progress. I'm new here, and boy! do I have alot to aspire to..very nice work!

liuqiang
11-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Expression in eyes is heavyhearted.

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 10:32 AM
YES.. u have it!!:applause:

Folashade
12-30-2004, 04:30 PM
GOSH! That's amazing! Do you have a tutorial or a step by step? People can definately learn alot from you!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.