PDA

View Full Version : BGConform in Modo /Ngon concerns

crossbones
10-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Hello all,

Let me first say that i love modo. I read through all the docs and built some cool stuff (coming to Forum near you). The only way I can describe modo to the creators and others reading this post, it very much feels like modeling in messiah. By that I mean its fast,responsive and well designed.

Now, I don;t know if any of you use the BGconform option in LW. Its really cool it looks at the background layer and conforms (snaps) the geometery in the BG layer to the foreground layer (keeping that it is the same number of points). I was wondering if BG conform existed in LW. If not I have someone that can write me this plugin.

Also Ngons. The famous word being thrown around all over the place in the 3D community. I've learned to model in ways that I do not need ngons, rather devising clever solutions spinning quads and merging polygons. When I do Ngons I can see the algorythm really freak out in MODO. Stretching edges etc etc. Are there multiple modes for this SDS???

lastly,I would really like to say thank you to the entire Luxology team, I wish you guys had done in this in 1999 when I was struggling to learn MAX 3.1 coming from bad Lightwave training.

Griffon
10-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Hello all,

Let me first say that i love modo. I read through all the docs and built some cool stuff (coming to Forum near you). The only way I can describe modo to the creators and others reading this post, it very much feels like modeling in messiah. By that I mean its fast,responsive and well designed.

Now, I don;t know if any of you use the BGconform option in LW. Its really cool it looks at the background layer and conforms (snaps) the geometery in the BG layer to the foreground layer (keeping that it is the same number of points). I was wondering if BG conform existed in LW. If not I have someone that can write me this plugin.

bgConform does not exist as a tool in modo right now.

Also Ngons. The famous word being thrown around all over the place in the 3D community. I've learned to model in ways that I do not need ngons, rather devising clever solutions spinning quads and merging polygons. When I do Ngons I can see the algorythm really freak out in MODO. Stretching edges etc etc. Are there multiple modes for this SDS???

I have never seen them "freak" out, but they can "feel" a little different from subpatching if you're coming from LW. You can make modo use the subpatching algorithm by hitting shift-tab, but you will be limited to tris and quads.

lastly,I would really like to say thank you to the entire Luxology team, I wish you guys had done in this in 1999 when I was struggling to learn MAX 3.1 coming from bad Lightwave training.

Thanks. My time machine is broken.

crossbones
10-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Thank you for responding.

I found out the problem is that when I used Ngons there were points left behind. And it caused litle pinches all over the place.

Is it possible you guys will make a BGConform tool for Modo? Its really necessary when I model and lose symm or want to conform a surface to a geometerical shape.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.