PDA

View Full Version : Anti-alias on custom brushes gone??? One for the gurus!

Skyraider3D
10-06-2004, 12:18 AM
AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH :(

Okay I give up... In Photoshop 6 there was an option to prevent custom brushes from blurring, but in Photoshop 8/CS it's gone! Anybody knows where it went or how to solve my problem?

http://skyraider3d.military-meshes.com/temp/PScustombrushoption.jpg

http://skyraider3d.military-meshes.com/temp/PScustombrushproblem.jpg

This brush was made to create rivets on aircraft skins. The one on the left makes horrible texture maps as it loses all definition of the circlular shape... :(

I hope anyone can help!

Thanks in advance! :)

PS. The image above was made in Photoshop 6, since version 8/CS doesn't seem to have the anti-alias option anymore.

davpunk
10-06-2004, 02:22 AM
try using it as a pencil rather than a brush. also make sure the scale for the brush setting is at its correct size.

Skyraider3D
10-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Pencil only works in 1-bit (pure black and pure white) and doesn't display my semi-transparent brush at all. Making a 1-bit clone of my brush kinda works, but the bumpmaps won't be as nice as it will lack the faint corners...
Scale is correct (4 pixels) - image below is an enlargement at 300%.

HeebieJeebie
10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
i really dont think its possible.other than using pencil as davpunk suggested,you can try double painting.. ie paint on one layer and duplicate,will give you a crisper edge.
I guess adobe doesnt expect people to be working on such a small scale :)

Skyraider3D
10-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Still strange they take something away in a new version:shrug:
"Small scale".... well I suppose you could call rivets on an airplane small. But I can't make the textuer bigger as it's already 4000+ pixels...

davpunk
10-06-2004, 05:02 PM
how about the brush scale. it should be set at 1, so it is exactly the size of the brush you made... if it is larger, it will distort your brush, especially since it is a just a few pixels...

Skyraider3D
10-06-2004, 10:47 PM
the original brush is 4 pixels and this is exactly the value I (want to) use. So it's not scaled in any way.

I guess there's nothing left but to revert to PS6 for this work... :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.