PDA

View Full Version : This hurts my head, wow Illustrator

Ravennome
10-05-2004, 09:48 PM
THIS IS NOT MY WORK.

But I could not just let it go without posting, totally frickin' amazing. Adobe Illustrator

Check out the link below.

http://ravennome.com/stuff/dalmation.jpg

Good Boy, now go fetch daddy some Real Trace (http://www.geocities.jp/real_trace/)
and
Illustrator on Crack (http://www.photoshopcn.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=150569&fpage=1)

http://ravennome.com/stuff/shoes2.jpg
http://ravennome.com/stuff/shoes.gif

THIS IS NOT 3D, all Illustrator.

Link loads hella slow... but sooooo worth it!

BE SURE TO RATE THIS THREAD>

Piotr Dobosz
10-05-2004, 09:53 PM
your link is dead:(

Ravennome
10-05-2004, 10:24 PM
the link is just really slow, big files.

Ravennome
10-06-2004, 05:01 AM
I can't believe there are no replys yet!!

levi
10-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Ya I think this is Takashi Morisaki, the link above is painfully slow. Here's his home site.
http://www.geocities.jp/real_trace/home.html
This guy is just amazing with vectors.:thumbsup:

JohnnyRandom
10-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Pretty impressive :) thx for the link

jumbo
10-06-2004, 09:27 PM
You are certainly correct, this is impressive for a 3D work, so what does that mean since it was done as a 2D line art drawing? I am in school for graphics and am learning Illustrator there, but nothing even close to this level. I think I'm going to mention this to my professor to see what he thinks. I have seen some pretty good work in Illustrator, and it stands to reason that this can be done, but I wouldn't have thought anyone would have taken the time to do it. :eek:

I never considered the possibility with Illustrator before. I have with Photoshop, but not Illustrator. This artist must have had a good understanding of meshes and blends. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ravennome
10-06-2004, 10:03 PM
alot of Takashi San's (hope this is how honorable should be written) pages seem to have tutorials on them. I've tried to web translate a few of them with no luck, has anyone else had any luck with this.

Update, finally got it to work of of the main. Apparently Safari doesn't like the babblefish app, had to do it in IE. But the excite app work perfectly in Safari.

Cool stuff.

webshot
10-07-2004, 04:20 AM
Takashi Sans? post a link to the page you are refferring to?

Ravennome
10-07-2004, 07:12 AM
http://www.geocities.jp/real_trace/

This is this is the same site as the one posted by levi above. The only difference is this is the main page. At the bottom there is a link for English translation. As with most machine translators for Japanese it's sketchy at best but its a start.

I was able to peice together that Takashi Morsaki work with a creative group called Highside Labs and that a lot of his work is featured on their site. Also he has contributed to a instructional text for Adobe Illustrator, this book seems to be published by Highside. On the cover are a pair of photoreal shoes and some bell peppers. The discription on Amazon Japan says that the book is all about the pen tool and gradient meshs, and how to make photoreal images in Illustrator.

Wow, I wish we had more books like this over here. I mean we get general everything in one text books. But a whole book for just a few tools? That would be nice. At any rate I'm going to try and pick up a copy of the book somewhere online.

Be sure to rate this thread. Would be cool to have everyone see it on the main page. The Dalmation alone is work that much.

halo
10-07-2004, 11:06 AM
yep...its those nutty japanese again with their obsession for hyperreal illustrations...i remember they did the same thing back in the airbrush days as well....soryama etc

It's worth noting that these are pretty much replicas of photos...they're not paintovers, but they are based around photography, so theyre not from scratch....they're still pretty bloody impressive all the same, and certainly 100x more interesting than another orc etc.

Ravennome
10-07-2004, 04:37 PM
That would be a an interesting thread to post... originality in digital art. Trying new things and techniques and new subject matter rather the rehashing all the same stuff over and over (aka Orc, dragons, marines, etc).
This Real Trace work reminds me of the photorealist movment in traditional media. All these different techniques and ideas to make something look totally real, but in an unexpected digital medium. It's sorta refreshing to see such style/technique orientented peice... almost like a movement with in digital art. Like cubism, impressionism, etc.

jumbo
10-08-2004, 12:35 AM
I think you've got a point there with the photorealism trend. It's quite understandable, who wouldn't want to have the ability to make a piece of artwork like that? I think that working from photographs is a good start; that way you can use them like a young plant would use a stick that it's tied to. Once you have grown and developed a strong enough set of skills you can remove this guide and continue growing. It is quite possible that we will see more of a relationship between what has happened in the history of traditional art and what is happening or will happen in digital art. Trends will probably come and go, but there is certainly respect for that kind of work, even if the trend is different. I think what is driving this "photorealist" stage is the respect for what we see in photographs. People, (myself included), keep looking at these things and find themselves wanting to make one from scratch.

What's really gotten me here is that it was done in Illustrator. Do you realize that this means he can take those images and blow them up to whatever size he wants without sacrificing any image quality? Those images will look as perfect on a billboard as they will on a business card, even if they were created smaller than the head of a pin. This makes a great case for learning such skills. Imagine the possibilities for business. Let me know if you find an English version of that book.

levi
10-08-2004, 05:26 AM
Couldn't agree with you more jumbo. Beyond that, one has to be somewhat amazed by the artist's talent to recreate in such realistic terms. One would hope that such realism could be achieved with fictional subjects. If not, maybe he needs a partner.:shrug:

jumbo
10-09-2004, 01:17 AM
I would certainly hope he can make something fictional. Someone with that much talent will hopefully have the creativity to come up with his own composition. I guess, thinking about it, for all we know he could be a really technical guy with little artistic ability. I seriously doubt that, but this gets us back to the classic "artistic abilities versus technical abilities" conversation. In my opinion, it would take a tremendous amout of both to be able to make work like this without copying a photograph. It would probably take a lot of both just to make a copy of a photograph.

I've worked some in Illustrator and it's not easy. To do well in Illustrator you must master the pen tool. To do well at what he's doing, you must also master the gradient mesh. I got inspired by all of this, and wanted to make something like that. Unfortunately, it's not that easy. In the limited time I had, I was able to do some stuff, like make a vase, but no where near that level. If anybody has a chance to play around with it and ends up making something neat, I'd like to see it and learn how to do it. I want to gain this skill if possible, I don't know if it will happen with all the other things I ought to be doing and learning, but it sounds like somthing worthwhile to try.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.