PDA

View Full Version : The joy of selecting.

visualride
10-05-2004, 09:28 PM
It's a good thing that the 'change selection' button is tied to the current tool hotkey. I find it very useful to take my eyes off my screen and hunt for that hotkey to change what I'm manipulating. This is definitely the best possible workflow. Having one key to change selections with any tool would be too confusing. Does anyone else share my joy?

visualride
10-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Ok, ok. I'm feeling guilty now about the sarcasm. I'm just feeling a bit frustrated about the limited responses on my questions about selection sets.

Also, I guess that I'm just too bored with my day job that I have nothing better to do than gripe here.

Hello,.... anyone want to talk about this issue, or am I going to be stuck here with nothing better to do while you all have fun with your damn Modo! :)
There is always after work...

c-g
10-06-2004, 01:49 AM
It's a good thing that the 'change selection' button is tied to the current tool hotkey. I find it very useful to take my eyes off my screen and hunt for that hotkey to change what I'm manipulating. This is definitely the best possible workflow. Having one key to change selections with any tool would be too confusing. Does anyone else share my joy?

If you need to look at the keyboard to find the spacebar, perhapse you should consider the less complex crayola 8-pack.

sarcasm back at ya. :)

MunCHeR
10-06-2004, 02:18 AM
I find hitting the refresh button on your browser every 30 seconds quite entertaining when I'm bored, who says sarcasm can't be fun :D

MunCH

visualride
10-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Ahh, perhaps I'm teasing out some useful input? c-g: Could you please explain how to map a 'change selection' to one key, such as the spacebar, while a tool is active?

yog
10-06-2004, 05:05 PM
TBH - I thought you were serious :)

After all you have just pressed the button to get the manipulation, just leave it there until you want a different command :shrug:

c-g
10-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Ahh, perhaps I'm teasing out some useful input? c-g: Could you please explain how to map a 'change selection' to one key, such as the spacebar, while a tool is active?

See, "Having one key to change selections with any tool" wasn't very clear stating "while a tool is active?" Given that Modo changes it's tools depending on the type of element selected it sounded like that is what you were asking for.

Now for what you want... If you convert a selection while a tool is active it will remain active into the new selection type.

assign...
select.convert "vertex"
select.convert "edge"
select.convert "polygon"

...to a key and that will switch selection types while not dropping the active tool.

visualride
10-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the tip c-g. It's not really what I wanted, but it's useful. I'll try to write a little perl script to toggle between the conversions with a single key. Would this be useful to anyone else?

TrexGreg
10-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Would this be useful to anyone else? A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y !

visualride
10-07-2004, 05:20 PM
TrexGreg,
Here is what I came up with. I'm new to Perl, but it seem like a pretty standard programming language. If anyone that really knows Perl has any comments, please feel free to let me know how I could make this better. Save the following code as anyname.pl. Then run it at the command line as @"C:\modo Perl\anyname.pl". Substitute in your own directory path and file name. The quote marks are necessary if you have any spaces in your path name. After your hit enter, select the 'run script implicit' command in the 'command history', right click on it and assign it to a hotkey. The hotkey will convert between vertex, polygon, and edge selection sets.

#perl
my $currentConv;
my $ConvNext;
$currentConv = lxq("select.convert:?");
if ($currentConv)
{
$currentConv = "vertex";
lx("select.convert $currentConv");
}
else
{
if ($currentConv eq "vertex")
{
$ConvNext = "edge";
}
if ($currentConv eq "edge")
{
$ConvNext = "polygon";
}
if ($currentConv eq "polygon")
{
$ConvNext = "vertex";
}
lx("select.convert $ConvNext");
}

TrexGreg
10-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Hey, Visualride...
I'll give it a try, asap....
Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.