PDA

View Full Version : MODO looks alot like LW

guardonduty
10-05-2004, 06:50 PM
The MODO layout looks alot like LW. Anyone elso notice that. Very nice stuff though.

Aegis Prime
10-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Funny that eh? In fact - it could almost be written by the same people... ;)

yog
10-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Funny that eh? In fact - it could almost be written by the same people... ;)
almost .... :thumbsup:

Sbowling
10-06-2004, 02:33 AM
The MODO layout looks alot like LW. Anyone elso notice that. Very nice stuff though.

Funny, I don't thing they look that much alike. They definitely don't work the same. You could probably make modo look like other programs if you really wanted to.

ThePumpkinKing
10-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Looks kind of like XSI to me.

minus23
10-07-2004, 08:50 PM
As a Lightwave Modeler for some time... I was excited about Modo... in that I saw screenshots that had Modo looking almost *exactly* like Lightwave. I'm having a hard time getting my head around it though so far... (Though I haven't had it as long as others here.... finances and all)...

I'm still waiting for someone to make a *super* like lightwave interface for Modo. :) It is pretty though in it's own right so far though... It's pretty crazy how you can have Modo within Modo in extra windows. :)

Nemoid
10-10-2004, 12:26 PM
In Pazur's post in this Modo forums i saw a great Lw-like UI he made. i tried to reproduce it, but i still have to find the time to understand form editor correctly. however is easy to place selection modes and other things on lower part, and also to use text only icons on your modo tool window, using form editor. Pazur reached to place also the file menu in a way wich sems independent from the tools window, like in Lw.

only thing, it seems that horizontal tabs like in lw are not possible? but maybe it 's just me.

it would be cool if Pazur could share his Lw like modo ui, though. :)

Para
10-10-2004, 12:59 PM
LW? :surprised Looks like Photoshop to me. :shrug:

:p :D

Nemoid
10-11-2004, 01:44 PM
lol and what about some Z brush colors in the UI ?

JaQues^T
10-11-2004, 02:12 PM
The only thing i cant export is viewport colors.

http://www.dami.pl/~djgiete/tommys/LW.JPG

LW layout CFG (http://www.dami.pl/~djgiete/tommys/lwok.CFG)

Vertizor
10-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Actually I think it looks more like a smoothed up version of 3DS Max cerca 4 or 5 when they started doing that dark grey UI.

thesuit
10-12-2004, 08:46 AM
I see that JaQues*t has the lightwave version installed. There was an option somewhre around the setup, there was a LW and a Maya option I believe. Maya option looks different than that printscreen. Maybe its a setting i havent figure out yet but it seems this guys made the UI fit the user... extreamly clever.
http://blueprint3d.com/cgtalk/modoscreen.jpg
Anyway this modo is from a friend of mine who is out on his vacation so I get to play with it.
WHY IS MODO SO COOL? WHAT SHOULD I TRY FIRST?

xiao_x
10-12-2004, 08:57 AM
i have a stupid question to ask,like what the topic say,modo like a ligtwave,then if someone already have LW,izzit they will spent more money to buy Modo???????

Sbowling
10-12-2004, 09:26 AM
i have a stupid question to ask,like what the topic say,modo like a ligtwave,then if someone already have LW,izzit they will spent more money to buy Modo???????
While, the above sentence doesn't actually make any sense:bounce: , I believe I understand what you are asking. Quick answer is that Modo is NOT LightWave. It's much more streamlined and is just plain better to work with than LightWave.

Nemoid
10-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Anyway this modo is from a friend of mine who is out on his vacation so I get to play with it.
WHY IS MODO SO COOL? WHAT SHOULD I TRY FIRST?OT :

organic modelling smaaaaaaall example :

create a cube with some divisions on it.(drag with RMB in the viewport to create divisions) do also an edit/ center to put it on center of your 3d world. activate simmetry x

hit tab, (the cube becomes a sub division surfaces object)

hit ctrl- T and start to edit elements : for points click-drag directly on intersection between lines (elements = vertex, edges and polys) u've discovered the power of simmetric sub d modelling! move items ,

extrude faces and so on :D

now, u want to add some more geometry? try edge slice . it works similar to maya's split poligon . click on edges and cut your geometry(it works in simmetry too)

have fun.

FreakyDude
10-12-2004, 07:03 PM
OT :

organic modelling smaaaaaaall example :

create a cube with some divisions on it.(drag with RMB in the viewport to create divisions) do also an edit/ center to put it on center of your 3d world. activate simmetry x

hit tab, (the cube becomes a sub division surfaces object)

hit ctrl- T and start to edit elements : for points click-drag directly on intersection between lines (elements = vertex, edges and polys) u've discovered the power of simmetric sub d modelling! move items ,

extrude faces and so on :D

now, u want to add some more geometry? try edge slice . it works similar to maya's split poligon . click on edges and cut your geometry(it works in simmetry too)

have fun.
Thats nice and all but you could do that kind of editing in 3dmax as well. And propably in any self respecting 3d package. I'd be really suprised if lightwave hasn't got some kind of editing to do the same, or cinema, or maya. Hell, even Blender can do some of That I guess. And if blender can't do it now, it will in the future.
That is imo not really a benchmark for laying out its unique features.
There's gotta be something really cool about it to cause all the commotion. Just as with Zbrush. (I don't really get why zbrush is so great, except I have read it is very easy to normal map and add loads of detail fast, but apart from that? I'm lost)

And even so, where is the line between spending time learning yet nother package or just evolving with the one(s) you are currently using?
It's not the flaws of the package that makes flawed art. It's the flaws of the artist.
(still am curious to find out what the commotion is about)

Para
10-12-2004, 07:41 PM
The magic word in Nemoid's post was "symmetry", which has always been a troublemaker in LW. That post doesn't contain much special things for non-LW users (edges, symmetry, no mode switch needed to edit different elements) but then again, it was aimed to an LW user :)

Nemoid
10-13-2004, 07:39 AM
well' i am not a 3dstudio max user. i'm more currently a Lwuser, and a very little maya user. from my experience, i found that i just could give some advices to a lw user that wanted to experiment modo.

What i like of Modo is that compared to lw 8 modeler u have edges and n gons at your disposal. simmetry in lw is possible only in x axis, and it works strangely if u tweak points in the -x side of your mesh.

I don't like so much maya poly tools, modelling is way funnier in lw than in maya, even if it has some good things indeed. i like the manipulator, possibility to extrude multiple times at once, split poligons , history etc. but many things except history are there in subpatch mode in modo.

For example i slice edges in subpatch mode and i like doing this. it works in simmetry mode too.
Not that modo is a revolutionary tool compared to other modelers or to other apps modelling toolset yet, but to me it has a good Lw inheritance in some of its workflow in better, and some Maya inheritance too.

p.s. maybe it's changed in maya 6.0 ( i still have 4.5) , but u had to setup your simmetry with an instance duplicating the object in -x axis. this is not real simmetry mode.especially when u extrude faces and move them inward. :D

MasonDoran
10-13-2004, 08:34 AM
p.s. maybe it's changed in maya 6.0 ( i still have 4.5) , but u had to setup your simmetry with an instance duplicating the object in -x axis. this is not real simmetry mode.especially when u extrude faces and move them inward. :D -true...Maya doesnt have any true symmetry modelling features except for Artisan which will reflect on any axis you want. It sounds a lot more stable then what exists in LW. What maya uses is an Instance that is negative scaled...which is actually VERY fast and stable and you can do ANYTHING you want to it. The only 2 drawbacks of having a mirrored instance is that u cannot use it for doing blendshapes because the point order will change...and the verts on the seam are not locked like they are in WINGS. The extrude faces works fine....but it will create an extra face along the seam....deleting it is simple enough.

There are scripts that allow for true symmetry modelling. It is a pity people dont like modelling in maya....its not much work to customize it(currently more so then modo) so everything is at your fingertips and mel is powerful enough that you dont need plugins that version specific.

So thats the useful part of using modo with maya is creating blendshapes quickly and easily...and be able to tweak them if needed....and be able to output them in maya format. Not only that...but customizing modo enough so that you dont notice much differance in workflow makes everything go smoothly.

its still going to take me a couple of days to setup all of the pie menus and hotkeys to do that......but modo keeps crashing on me every 5 minutes.

Nemoid
10-13-2004, 10:04 AM
well, i think it's a matter of habits. I personally like having no proxy object,and go back and forth in subpatches with tab most of times working directly in subpatch without seeing polys at all.
It's not that you can't model in Maya, but since i'm used to a lw workflow, especially using often box modelling, i think modo suits better my needs.

That's all. :) the good thing is that even maya users feel a bit at home in Modo, and i hope they will feel more confotable in the future, with some update.

Sorry if Modo keeps crashing on you so often. the nvidia driver problems and some bugs have to be solved.

joo
10-14-2004, 07:42 AM
:)Well, If you are from Lw (with the default and no 3rd party plugin include), would like to explore more about SDS, N-gons, Symetry in all axes, selection on points, polygons and edges, almost fully costumizable interface, hotkey with combination Ctrl + Shift + Alt, pie menus, Edge Weight, History (YES, undo history), similar work flow (for some reason i think that it is same workflow), enhance work flow with Macros, Falloffs, many options of Action Center, WorkPlane!, edge slice while in symetry mode, Turntable (I like this feature:D) and ALOT more.....

Cheers.

onlooker
10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
just so you know joo. I find your avatar offensive, and I would ban your IP permanently if I were an Administrator of these forums.

joo
10-14-2004, 08:06 AM
oh...glad you noticed me, I'll change it later.:)

PeXi^3
10-14-2004, 08:19 AM
just so you know joo. I find your avatar offensive, and I would ban your IP permanently if I were an Administrator of these forums.
What was it? GOATSE?

onlooker
10-14-2004, 05:57 PM
What was it? GOATSE?
A swastica. :twisted:

FreakyDude
10-14-2004, 05:58 PM
ehm, what are blendshapes exactly? and locked vertices at the seam? Do you mean like in seeing the seam(as in>vertex are unwelded) or smooth transition(as in>vertex at seam are welded)

joo
10-15-2004, 07:35 AM
A swastica. :twisted: OT: (No offence) No, that is not. Infact, that is a symbolic for Buddhism (I'm a Buddhist). Quite often people always confused of that. Only a 30degree angle make a whole things different, and the color also different.:sad: But, since its confusing so better not to put. I apology if has made any antipathy to anyone.

:)Ok, back to topic.
I'm having a hard time on customizing the interface too, I'm also want to mimic the lightwave alike interface for Modo but haven't achieved yet. What I've got so far is put all the button on the left hand side, make it a popover form instead of tab. I like all the tools in one layout rather switching tab by tab to find the tools. And I'm still remain the modo like 'Basic, Deform, Duplicate, Mesh Edit etc..'

onlooker
10-15-2004, 10:06 PM
The Sanskrit, and ancient indian sun wheel A.K.A. the swastika is an indian symbol, but you shouldn't confuse indian symbols with Buddhism. Because one is an indian does not make one a Buddhist, nor vice verse.

But if you say your intension was to symbolize your religious beliefs so be it.

Joviex
10-15-2004, 10:18 PM
The Sanskrit, and ancient indian sun wheel A.K.A. the swastika is an indian symbol, but you shouldn't confuse indian symbols with Buddhism. Because one is an indian does not make one a Buddhist, nor vice verse.

But if you say your intension was to symbolize your religious beliefs so be it.don't forget the symbol was also used by roman legions.

And while I do understand cultural and sybolic differences, I did find it highly suspect you called yourself, your nick, Joo, which in English sounds like Jew, and had a 98% lookalike symbol for a swastika.

But maybe I am too cynical and read too much into that....

Back to making models.

onlooker
10-16-2004, 12:37 AM
don't forget the symbol was also used by roman legions.

And their friends the Egyptians.

joo
10-16-2004, 03:00 AM
And while I do understand cultural and sybolic differences, I did find it highly suspect you called yourself, your nick, Joo, which in English sounds like Jew, and had a 98% lookalike symbol for a swastika.
:sad:funny, Joo is my REAL name. My dad gave me, I didn't have a choice...
Yes, back to model.

thesuit
10-16-2004, 08:12 PM
ehm, what are blendshapes exactly? and locked vertices at the seam? Do you mean like in seeing the seam(as in>vertex are unwelded) or smooth transition(as in>vertex at seam are welded)
Blend shapes are morphs. Tweekin ur model and havin a switch to go from the original to many tweeked versions of it. Commonly used for facial expressions. And keepin the vertex at the seam means that if for example u have a head and a body that are different models, having the ability to keep the vertex attached to each other at the seam even after blendshapin or things deforming.

Can u people drop the swastica subject!!! this is modo forum, for cryin out loud!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.